Detroit Preview: 2010 Chevrolet Equinox debuts with direct injection

So they try to improve and then what?

I actually forgot that we're nearing 2010 quickly so I should revise my comment earlier to read "GM built shitty cars for the better part of 3 decades."

They've been trying to "improve" for the better part of THREE DECADES. I heard the same bullshit back in the 80s; then they released the Cadillac Cimmarron. I heard the same shit in the 90s and then they released the Escalade. I heard the same bullshit in the early 2000s then they released the HHR....the SSR...and the Aztec. Everyone in the world should be as jaded as ever towards them and their shitty products.

Last edited:
It's quite amazing just how negative some of you are. This was posted over at the VW Forum (full of Euro lovers) and it got a much less negative reaction.

I drive a VW, and I am the first to admit it is anything but good looking it was bought because it was super practical, imo it is the best car and the prettiest of a ugly bunch but compared to that monstrousity it may was well be a DBS. Maybe we are more cynical because "we care" bottom line is WE (I assume) on this forum have a interest in cars in general and not just one auto company, so we want to see GM restucture and survive, but is the way forward a Korean looking SUV?.

No I think its OK looker actually - it has tuff competition if it comes here though, and the market is 'anti' this kind of vehicle at the moment, unless you really need one.

I would have said before the Credit Crunch - good on you GM, go for it, much better effort!!! But I am now very afraid for most car manufacturers in the future, but especially GM and Chrysler. They are so behind Ford in their thinking at least over here. ... BTW I own a GM product (and it is damn good vehicle - Opel obviously).

and the market is 'anti' this kind of vehicle at the moment, unless you really need one.

Those in the United States don't really associate these smaller SUVs with their larger brethren.

^ I agree with you...mostly.

My girlfriend drives a civic, and she thinks an Escape is huge. She has no sense of scale when it comes to SUV's.

It's quite amazing just how negative some of you are. This was posted over at the VW Forum (full of Euro lovers) and it got a much less negative reaction.

It's a small SUV that's more or less as bland as everything else in the class. The interior is improved, but there's nothing else that sets it apart from the others. There's tons of boring cars in this segment, excuse me for not falling over myself with praise for yet another contender.

I quite like this car... it looks good, and it's an improvment over the current one. GM is starting to get their shit together.

to be honest I'd rather buy a Korean SUV more than that GM....

but they did a pretty good job at trying to make it looks like a Merc ML, it looks good, but no I won't want one...

Just to prove some of you wrong, you haven't seen the truck in person or even sat in one in person. It is miles away from the current Equinox and looks stunning in person. The interior is a step forward. This vehicle has been in development longer than most of you would even know.

This truck will be a seller just because it is so much better than the current vehicle. You guys have to remember that this is a replacement for the current Equinox and the Equinox/Torrents are actually quite good sellers.

This is what it's replacing:
1174.jpg

1176.jpg

1175.jpg

sportinterior1.jpg

It's not a "new" vehicle, it's a replacement for a model that's made 'em some money, and impoving it to stay competitive.

That said, I still wouldn't want one...but it's no fault of the car...just not my style.

The thing is... nobody needs a vehicle like this. If someone actually needs a SUV, (whatever size it may be) they probably need it for getting somewhere off paved roads occasionally or they may need it for work purposes. And just about any modern SUV is entirely useless for these purposes, there are exceptions such as your Land Rovers and Jeep wranglers and whatever. But pretty much any regular car or station wagon can accomplish the tasks most people buy SUV's for these days and I honestly don't know why they're popular at all.

What can this new Equinox do that a Malibu can't? <_<

I'm not aiming this post at anybody in particular but it pretty much sums up my general thoughts on modern softroaders and the like.

Just because you like a car, it doesn't mean that others have to agree with you. I personally don't really care for this car at all. It's just another another (competitive) wagon on stilts. Just beecause it's an improvement over its predecessor, it doesn't mean that people are entitled to congratulate GM for making cars that people want.

I'd rather buy a Hyundai Santa Fe.

At least I'd get a similar vehicle that's actually MADE IN THE USA. :p And, not incidentally, that you can get with that rarest of beasts in the class, a MANUAL transmission! Plus IIHS 2007 Top Safety Pick, etc., etc., etc.

The base Santa Fe also has more horsepower, and *probably* will be cheaper while having more features standard. Plus it has a real, tested 10/100 warranty instead of that meaningless sick joke 5/100 warranty that GMs have.

Last edited:
For an SUV-thingy that's really not bad at all - not sure about the headlights though.

GM needs to do some things radically different to reinvigorate the company. Releasing an SUV? NOT ONE OF THEM.

There's nothing to draw anyone away from their CR-V, RAV4, etc. There's nothing special about it. Even if it could do everything that they do, it still doesn't have any drawing power. It could be the best thing GM's ever made and nobody would buy it, because this particular market is pretty much spoken for.

To me, this just hammers home that nobody in the upper ranks of General Motors actually "gets it". Nobody understands what's going on. "Oh, we're running out of money? Lets release an 'all-new' SUV!" :facepalm:

Last edited:
I have to agree - when you're GM, being lambasted in the press for having too many models of SUVs and you're begging for money, what do you do? Release another SUV! After all, that's worked out *so* well in the era of rapidly fluctuating fuel prices... and it'll really help dispel the perception that all GM makes is gas-guzzing SUVs... not.

They could have cancelled this thing.
They could have imported the Zafira.
They could have just said the hell with it and imported its already developed platform-mate, the Antara.

Instead, they spent all this money to create yet *another* Theta platform SUV and release it.

Bankruptcy can't come fast enough.

Last edited:
No, that would be "Oh god, I find that I am forced to agree..."

:D :lol:

I saw one of these in Denver yesterday.

:puke:

I saw one of these in Denver yesterday.

:puke:

I'm gonna go with...no you didn't. The old one, maybe... the shots are from the Detroit Auto show...I don't think these are on the street yet. It's not even on Chevy's website yet.