What's with all the neg-reps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what if I didn't post a stupid thing, and someone neg-repped me simply because he doesn't like what I said? Is the conclusion to always go with the masses?

No, I think that this negrep means NOTHING, you don't have to act on it. It's just an opinion of some anonymous guy from the internet.

People actually posting something interesting sometimes do enjoy the occasional thumbs-up, you know :) It's not that it's vital for the forum, just something which makes it better. You know, like the occasional nod in a conversation encourages one to go on with what he's saying. Jeez, am I the only one understanding basic human interaction here?

Thumbs up can be just as well expressed in a form of.. you know.. a reply. Or anonymous feedback. If you post interesting stuff for the sake of green blobs.. I feel sorry for you.

No, I think that this negrep means NOTHING, you don't have to act on it. It's just an opinion of some anonymous guy from the internet.
Hmmm ... sounds like a plan.

Thumbs up can be just as well expressed in a form of.. you know.. a reply. Or anonymous feedback. If you post interesting stuff for the sake of green blobs.. I feel sorry for you.
I've been told the same thing. There is a difference however between posting interesting stuff and then being happy about a positive rep and posting interesting stuff to get positive reps.

that's what I was saying :) I don't care about the green blobs but it would indeed be better if they disappeared. However I don't understand why people would want to disable a system which allows users to quickly express their opinion about a post without having to litter the thread with posts like "yeah!" or "what I was thinking" or "dude, chill".
The thread is for posts which contribute to the discussion.

I'd rather call it a "quick-pm" system then, not "reputation" anymore.

that's what I was saying :) I don't care about the green blobs but it would indeed be better if they disappeared. However I don't understand why people would want to disable a system which allows users to quickly express their opinion about a post without having to litter the thread with posts like "yeah!" or "what I was thinking" or "dude, chill".
The thread is for posts which contribute to the discussion.

I'd rather call it a "quick-pm" system then, not "reputation" anymore.

That is exactly what I meant. The system does not even have to change at all, just disabling the scoring part of it would be enough.

And sure, I too enjoy reading what people sometimes have to say about my posts, replied directly, privately or anonymously. But that doesn't have to be connected to appearance of my online "character" in any way.

Slashdot has an interesting way of balancing rep: meta-moderation.

You get to see a couple of random posts and their corresponding moderation then get to vote agree or not. People with bad meta-mod stats get mod points less often. Something similar could work with finalgear, except people with bad meta-mods could probably get their rep power reduced (maybe even get neg-repped themselves). To make things simple the system could be adapted so only neg reps need to be moderated.

Just remove the rep thing entirely. It's no use coming up with elaborate plans to make it better when it's not needed in the first place.
These forums worked fine before reps and would work fine without them now too.

I'm getting a little tired of this same argument popping up every 2 weeks.

But I will say I got a weird neg rep or two recently. I usually don't care, but the comments left for these made me think it's from someone who is trying to amuse themselves by being very childish, like they are neg repping you for the simple fact that they know you can't see their name.

I have a feeling it's just one or two immature retards going around doing this. I don't know if the mods have the free time to look at who it might be, but I'm guessing it's only a few members. And it's not like they have no rep power, whoever repped me must have had between 20-40 rep power.

Edit: Oh, and for the record I agree with CyberMonkey. I already flood a lot of sections with useless posts, so I often rep people when all I have to say is "I agree" or I like your ideas" or "funny post." I'm fine with the system, but I think people found to repeatedly neg rep members for no reason should be perma-banned. There has to be something to prevent you from going around having a neg repping field day.

Last edited:
I never check or care about what people rate my posts, but I am not nearly as active on here as some of you, so maybe it is just a bit less of an issue for me (and others like me). How often are you guys checking on this stuff, and what motivates you to actually give a crap about it? I am not being a smartass here, I genuinely want to know because it is a bit of a foreign concept to me.

I think I've only gotten one signed neg-rep, while I signed the one and only neg-rep I've left the whole time I've been here. Honestly, I don't really see the point of a reputation system in the first place. We all know which members post useful stuff and who posts worthless crap. That said, I do check my rep page occasionally, but only to laugh at useless neg-reps, usually from fan boys, and always anonymous.

The reason I didn't reply to your whiny PM was because I left that neg-rep for your trolling.

Btw, enjoy your new title. :devil:

You're quite the evil one.

The reason I didn't reply to your whiny PM was because I left that neg-rep for your trolling.

Btw, enjoy your new title. :devil:
Funny! <_<

I negrep people randomly to see how they react. Sometimes it's amusing.

I am such an asshole :blush:

You said in IRC you negrepped me you little.......and you got what you deserved :p

However, I get negrepped too, I just don't really care, I try to find out who did it though ;).

I think adding a name to the reps is a good thing or remove it completely ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with adding the names to reps
all neg-reps i get are unsigned and generally opinion based and i always want to know who it is
im fine with neg-rep when it's deserved, but adding a signature to it would stop the garble ones i get

i for instance just got one saying "grow up child", because they saw on my 'cars' section "An Alfa GTV, When I'm Old Enough"
thats hardly worth it, or legit

I never check or care about what people rate my posts, but I am not nearly as active on here as some of you, so maybe it is just a bit less of an issue for me (and others like me). How often are you guys checking on this stuff, and what motivates you to actually give a crap about it? I am not being a smartass here, I genuinely want to know because it is a bit of a foreign concept to me.

Well, as my "user cp" is the center page from which I navigate the forum (all the threads I replied in, that is), I see it automatically :)

mixed feelings here

on one hand, I don't really care about rep points since it's really meaningless (like I have 800 friends on facebook doesn't mean you have, you know, REAL friends).

On the other hand it's stupid to get negrep from people who don't sign. Yes I get that it can be a game, that people randomly negrep you just to be funny, but it just isn't and it can be frustrating.

I'm all for the automatically adding of the name for every rep, + or -, and hiding the rep green/red blobbies.

People who negrep and negrep back are just stupid, they're not getting the point of negreps at all. To me a neg rep is just someone saying that you're an ass, and you don't need to take any action whatsoever.

Besides, like most people here, I think I have given a handful of -reps in total, and like 100 +reps for stuff I liked...

That is exactly what I meant. The system does not even have to change at all, just disabling the scoring part of it would be enough.

And sure, I too enjoy reading what people sometimes have to say about my posts, replied directly, privately or anonymously. But that doesn't have to be connected to appearance of my online "character" in any way.

I fully support the above. To me, the whole point of the rep system is to be a convenient way to send short PMs which are also linked to whatever post they were for. Having them anonymous allows for more honest feedback. This system doesn't really need points or the blobbies under your name. I believe the idea was so new users can quickly see who the respected posters on here are, but I think since Quiky and Viper do a good job about not letting trolls stick around*, post count and join date are enough.

People just get too wound up over how much rep they have. Who cares if someone left you an anonymous neg-rep? Even if it was for no good reason, what does it matter? It's not like some forum feature gets unlocked once you reach 2000 points.

*I've seen forums where there will be a couple posters who have something crazy like 9k+ posts, but they're complete assholes and each post is about how stupid the other members and the forum itself are, yet the mods are too chicken to ban them for some reason. Discussions at places like that are generally shit, with more flaming and drama than worthwhile information.

For what my n00bie pathetic rep is worth, I don't mind the system. Yes, people make some stupid comments and don't sign their -reps, but some people also make silly or no comments and don't sign their +reps. Some people also leave a +rep comment on -reps and vice versa. All part of the tapestry of life...:D

My life doesn't revolve around little green blobbies, but would rather have them than not. I certainly referenced it for others when I first started reading this forum to identify those with value to add or who to ask for assistance. Then again, I have seen some behaviour from those with high +rep or beyond repute not modelling behaviours that they expect from others.

But it's not up to the few. As Quicky said back in in the last rep thread, if you want to change the system, get a poll together, and get the majority in favour. So if you feel strongly about it:

- make some suggestions for poll answers here (so all the bases and preferences are covered - including ensuring that what people are voting for can actually be done system wise), and get it published so the membership can vote

- also have to set a minimum % or # of members that have to vote, because this is basically a change that will affect everyone, so a vote by a total of 20 people to make a change isn't sufficient IMHO. Perhaps 50%+1 of active members (ie have posted in the last 6 months) have to have voted (regardless of what they actually voted for) if the system is going to change...? I can't find any set guidelines on making changes like this, but if Viper/Quiky or the other Mods can provide rules/guidelines on making these changes, it would be appreciated

- I recommend The Interceptor as this thread starter (unless someone else volunteers) to collate recommended answers and approval for posting. Not sure if it should be coming from someone on this thread or from a Mod to be seen as impartial. I'll leave that up for discussion.

So, get started preparing the poll, or stop complaining (I'd say -rep away, but I don't have that much to lose :razz:)

Status
Not open for further replies.