Local Detroit (!) TV Station: UAW Union Bosses Abusing Positions for Pay

I am not that much a fan of unions, but this here is becoming a McCarthyism anti-UAW-witchhunt. It's not that the car companies themselves aren't to blame for things getting so fucked up.

Then what do you attribute the Contour/Mondeo failure in the US market? Or the Focus recalls debacle?

Sure, the companies are to blame for a lot - but it is clear that even if the company does everything right, the UAW will proceed to screw it up.

It is also not a witch hunt if there really is widespread bad behavior - and there is.

It's not a witch-hunt if actual witches actually exist...

Then its a lynching mob :mrgreen:

From what I learned here on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the UAW shouldn't be called a "union", because in my opinion it contradicts the spirit behind the idea of unions.

I'd rather call the UAW a "Workers Mafia" instead.

From what I learned here on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the UAW shouldn't be called a "union", because in my opinion it contradicts the spirit behind the idea of unions.

I'd rather call the UAW a "Workers Mafia" instead.

I think what you call "unions" over there have more in common with the older European guilds and suchlike.

What we call "unions" over here is more like organized crime, what with their tactics and extortion. US Unions are specifically exempted from our racketeering and extortion laws - so naturally, a lot of Mafia types moved over to it. These organizations have *no* resemblance to European unions and guilds.

Those guys should be fired. Abuses happen in any company that big, just look at Walmart.
Remember though Wal-Mart has no union to defend it's employees, just as so, they still sued the pants off them. The general rule is if you treat your employees with dignity and respect they give you good work and don't take you for 500 million.

The one thing I notice about people who routinely work overtime, double shifts, and 60+ hour weeks, none of them are so fat that they waddle.

And, as the lawsuit just proved, you don't need a union. The courts will handle any abuse of employees just fine.