Go fast without actually going fast BMW style

If I may interject the snob view; whenever I see some base model BMW rep-mobile emblazoned with "M-Power" and "M-Sport" and "M-My-Penis-Isnt-Small-Honest-Even-If-My-Pay-Packet-Is-Too-Small-To-Streatch-To-A-Real-M" badges i cringe. If I couldn't get a real M, I wouldn't want to make everyone think I was desperate for one but couldn't afford it, which is what M badges say. It's a factory option to say "My life isn't turning out at all how I wanted it to, so i'll desperately cling to some pseudo-hope".

See, with most manufacturers, the sports packages are just useless fluff. But I think the M sport options come with some pretty decent upgrades.

They do seem to have too many M logos everywhere though, I agree. I think the late model E39 looks especially great with the M stuff on it.

See, with most manufacturers, the sports packages are just useless fluff. But I think the M sport options come with some pretty decent upgrades.

They do seem to have too many M logos everywhere though, I agree. I think the late model E39 looks especially great with the M stuff on it.

I'd take the wheels and body trim without the badges if possible on some of hte models, i agree.

Yes they are better looking than normal and it actually comes with real stuff unlike most "sport" upgrades, but when I see one i can't help but thinking "wow what a poser". I really wish the M Sport models would be slightly upgraded areo and NO BADGES! Leave it as the "sport" model with no M IMO.

I know the current 5 series have had m aero kits available for some time. not sure about the whole m sport package though.

If I may interject the snob view; whenever I see some base model BMW rep-mobile emblazoned with "M-Power" and "M-Sport" and "M-My-Penis-Isnt-Small-Honest-Even-If-My-Pay-Packet-Is-Too-Small-To-Streatch-To-A-Real-M" badges i cringe. If I couldn't get a real M, I wouldn't want to make everyone think I was desperate for one but couldn't afford it, which is what M badges say. It's a factory option to say "My life isn't turning out at all how I wanted it to, so i'll desperately cling to some pseudo-hope".

It's like when peole that are going bald comb their hair over the balding spot.

I?m not sure what you?re getting at... the only place with a badge visible anywhere on the outside of the car ar the tiny tiny little Ms on the wheels...

The cars look better with the M packages... If you want to make your car look worse just to avoid being a "poser".. That's your choice isn't it? :b

Besides, i haven't noticed this huge amount of M badges you keep going on about. The only time i cringe when i see an M bagde is when i see an "M3" badge stuck on an old rubbish banger BMW. I see that way too often.. :b

It's like when peole that are going bald comb their hair over the balding spot.

I'm with this guy. No car should look like an M car unless it actually is an M car.
AFAIK the M sport package is just a bunch of badges and aero bits and bobs for lots of monies

I also have a hard time believing America didn't get them until now... other than poutine and seal blubber, there's nothing you can buy here that you can't buy in America. :D

Drugs, without jailtime.

I'm with this guy. No car should look like an M car unless it actually is an M car.
AFAIK the M sport package is just a bunch of badges and aero bits and bobs for lots of monies

no badges, and you can still easily tell the difference between that and a real m car... the only exception to this is the E36

no badges, and you can still easily tell the difference between that and a real m car... the only exception to this is the E36

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you see only the front there's no way telling is it a real M5 or M-sportpack. There are quad pipes side fenders that distinguish M5 but if you see one in your rear view mirror you can't say for sure is it an M5 or not.

the real Ms usually have nice and fat wheel arches, so you can tell the difference... :mrgreen:

i'm sorry but doesn't this mean that the us was bmw cock free ?
it just shouts: "Look i would like to own an M5, but i don't have the money nor the money to pay petrol for it, so i got a diesel and made it look like an M5, how cool is that ?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you see only the front there's no way telling is it a real M5 or M-sportpack. There are quad pipes side fenders that distinguish M5 but if you see one in your rear view mirror you can't say for sure is it an M5 or not.

Sure you can,
M-package:
VE07KXD_01_CVI_200508_20.jpg

M5:
Auto_BMW_M5__000345_1.jpg

I fail to notice anything but the mirrors.
And the wheelarches seem to be pretty identical as well.

The giveaway is on the M-package the lower extensions on the front fascia are add-on parts, whereas the M5 is a single piece fascia. There's also styling differences around the vents - though the theme is the same.

Though from a distance, in your rear-view mirror, it'd be hard to tell the difference.

Oh, haven't noticed that difference.
By the way, congrats on you 1000th post ! :cheers:

I fail to notice anything but the mirrors.
And the wheelarches seem to be pretty identical as well.

yeah in the pics they look pretty much the same... I was pretty sure the M5 had different ones just like the M3...

Anyway, you can tell the difference in the rear view mirror quite easily by the fact that you?ll see the normal 5 series gradually approaching, while the M will just suddenly be right behind you out of nowhere. :mrgreen:

And I?m sticking to my statement that M-packs are cool, I?m not fond of people doing their cars up to look like something they aren?t, but the M-packs are there for you to make your car look cooler, not go faster. If you stick an M badge on a car yourself, well then that?s completely gay, but if all you want is the bigger air ducts for the brakes, and the nicer looks, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with having them on your 535i, or even your 520i if small engines are your cup of tea.

The easiest way to tell an 360 M-sport from the e60 M5 is the fact that you CAN'T specify foglights with the M5, but all M-sport cars have them. That's the way I tell them apart anyway. From the rear, the amount of exhaust pipes is a giveaway, although I have seen 530i's etc. lesser models with M5 lookalike exhausts.

Last edited:
Around here there are no M cars only M sport pack cars , I see almost every day a 1 Series M pack , sometimes a 3 series M pack ( saloon) , and almost all 5 series here are M packs.

Yes when i saw the M pack at first in top gear ( 535d Powertest ) i though: " A DIESEL M5???"

( I also had the same feeling in in the episode of the 5 Series vs the Citroen C6) i though :" They are using an M5 to cover a Horse race!!")

But now i can tell them apart very well. ( I only saw 2 M5?s in all my life)