First baby born in Dallas in 2009...

Wait, um...why is this in the news and he's not in jail yet? Assuming that implies he's the father, doesn't that constitute statutory rape?

This may be a stupid question, but doesn't someone have to press charges to have him arrested for it?

And it's not technically rape if the girl was/is willing, regardless of what the law says because of the age of the two parties.

15 is definitely old enough to know good from bad.

And it's not technically rape if the girl was/is willing, regardless of what the law says because of the age of the two parties.

That's how it is in NY I think again each state has it different.

I find this strangely relevant.

On another note, my sister will be 15 in 2.5 years. If any boy (especially a 20 year old one) even thinks about looking at her...

In other news, those of you ready to lynch the construction worker over this need to realize that in Mexico (look at the names and location), this is a common occurance.

And that's fine, in Mexico. But this is the United States.

Right, I'm not a lawyer: nothing in that article (and nothing in a quick skim through the articles on statutes and US statutory law) answered my question. I had assumed that in cases of statutory rape, it's the parents who brought forward the case, not the government.

Are you kidding?
Teenagers are verymuch open to influences and easy to manipulate. Many adults are. Nobody will do anything though, if the mother of the girl accepts the relationship between the two youngsters. I'm not sure, but the state might just be unwilling to do anything if none objects to this behavior, nomatter how illegal it is.

What can they do? Put him in jail... fine him?

Are you kidding?
Teenagers are verymuch open to influences and easy to manipulate. Many adults are. Nobody will do anything though, if the mother of the girl accepts the relationship between the two youngsters. I'm not sure, but the state might just be unwilling to do anything if none objects to this behavior, nomatter how illegal it is.

What can they do? Put him in jail... fine him?

Being a college student and being around people mostly my age has shown me that young people can be just as bad as adults.
And at least he is her "boyfriend", one drunken night in a club is enough to get you pregnant at 15, by a complete stranger! Hence my reasons for being sensible with girls I meet, much to the confusion of my friends.:rolleyes:

If it was the UK he would be jailed for rape, although how this works out in the US I have no idea.

Being a college student and being around people mostly my age has shown me that young people can be just as bad as adults.
And at least he is her "boyfriend", one drunken night in a club is enough to get you pregnant at 15, by a complete stranger! Hence my reasons for being sensible with girls I meet, much to the confusion of my friends.:rolleyes:

If it was the UK he would be jailed for rape, although how this works out in the US I have no idea.

It's difficult to say. I think the guy should be sent to jail, fined, whatever. He comitted a crime. BUT. What good will that do? Seriously. The mistake has been done allready and even the mother of the girl seems to accept their relationship. I am not defending the guy by any means, that's fucked up in so many ways... raising a child while you're still a child. :|

Usually, these relationships never last, sure, but... well he will pay child support if the relationship ends. Point is that he will have to take responsibility.

Last edited:
And that's fine, in Mexico. But this is the United States.

Oh no no no....this is the new America. We have to be sensitive to other peoples cultures, no matter if they go against the grain of societal norms, you fascist right wing capitalist pig. You probably drown kittens, too.

Kidding, of course.

Oh no no no....this is the new America. We have to be sensitive to other peoples cultures, no matter if they go against the grain of societal norms, you fascist right wing capitalist pig. You probably drown kittens, too.

Kidding, of course.

Hey, this isn't Britain, yet. :D

Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that; this happened in the South, remember? :mrgreen: