Silvia legal in America?

I didn't say anything about a skyline motor that was someone else. Ok so since I know I can't have a Silvia especially in California what happens if I do a VQ swap into a 240sx. I know it's legal but then do all of the EO parts for the VQ engine become eligible for me? Like there is a turbo and a supercharger kit for the 350z if I put a 350z engine with ECU, exhaust, etc.... on a 240sx does that mean I can now buy those EO forced induction kits and put them on a 240? If so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I didn't say anything about a skyline motor that was someone else.
I'm going to plead drunkenness... even though I'm at work. :p

Ok so since I know I can't have a Silvia especially in California what happens if I do a VQ swap into a 240sx. I know it's legal but then do all of the EO parts for the VQ engine become eligible for me? Like there is a turbo and a supercharger kit for the 350z if I put a 350z engine with ECU, exhaust, etc.... on a 240sx does that mean I can now buy those EO forced induction kits and put them on a 240? If so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
As I understand it, if the engine wasn't offered in the car, you can't do the swap... so the only legal motor would be the KA24DE.

Besides, what VQ would you put into a 240? As far as I know, none of them just bolt up.

I'm going to plead drunkenness... even though I'm at work. :p
:lol::lol:
Man that's gotta be fun!

As I understand it, if the engine wasn't offered in the car, you can't do the swap... so the only legal motor would be the KA24DE.

Besides, what VQ would you put into a 240? As far as I know, none of them just bolt up.

From my understanding you can take any car engine that is in a car that sells in California and put it in. Yeah VQ's don't just bolt in but I've seen some kits of shitbay for some mounting kits. Yeah more than likely I will take it to a shop which will cost me more money than I want to pay but in the end it's better for me.

Well, in that case, you can... but that doesn't necessarily mean you should.

The smallest VQ that's offered in the US is the VQ30DEK, and you're going to spend more money than you paid for the car itself trying to get it to fit... and for what, 220-odd HP? Don't even consider the VQ35, because it won't fit at all. Wisely invested money will either go into an SR20DE or a KA24DE and a turbo kit. You'll save yourself a ton of headache, and the only thing a VQ swap will get you is people going "why didn't you swap an RB?"

Just for clarification, are you talking about a 240SX or your B14?

Well, in that case, you can... but that doesn't necessarily mean you should.

The smallest VQ that's offered in the US is the VQ30DEK, and you're going to spend more money than you paid for the car itself trying to get it to fit... and for what, 220-odd HP? Don't even consider the VQ35, because it won't fit at all. Wisely invested money will either go into an SR20DE or a KA24DE and a turbo kit. You'll save yourself a ton of headache, and the only thing a VQ swap will get you is people going "why didn't you swap an RB?"

Just for clarification, are you talking about a 240SX or your B14?

I'm talking about a 240sx not my little DD. Well the reason I want to do this is because my aunt will help me financially do this but I have to do it legally so even though my uncle knows almost every smog tester in town I can't use him. From what I've seen your can get a VQ35DE with a "swap kit' for around 4700. This doesn't seem like that bad of an idea to me as long as it works.

Put a 1jz in it. Should be cheaper than a RB series or SR series engine and should be able to make more power than either of them.

I stand corrected then, it looks like a VQ35 will fit. More power to you if you can get it to work and VQSwap.com doesn't screw you over.

And if you "just want to make more power than either of them", why not just do an LS1? :p

Last edited:
And if you "just want to make more power than either of them", why not just do an LS1? :p

I forgot about the LS1. Use that. :mrgreen:

Yeah I mean this project will probably take a year or more to complete. I know a couple of people that work in independent auto shops so not only would they help me do this; they would also help lower the price a good bit. The reason I would want a VQ35 is because it really has the most EO parts. There isn't any other motor that fits my needs like this one. Also from the past hour of reading about the VQ swap kit really kick ass.The only problem that I would have would be the custom headers which you don't have to have as long as your switch the steering line. That some EO parts like a Vortech supercharger, some EO headers, upgrade the suspension, z32 calipers, Brembo rotors, maybe OZ Crono wrapped in Parelli P Zero. Now all that will take probably a year and a half to build but that will be my ultimate car.

Short answer, NO.

Long answer, Yes.

There are ways i.e. state legal. But forget federal legal unless you have ALOT of money.

In my opinion Salvia should not be legal in America, i've talked to two guys and they both agree all it makes you do is try and throw yourself out of windows.

In my opinion Salvia should not be legal in America, i've talked to two guys and they both agree all it makes you do is try and throw yourself out of windows.

it was the most intense trip of my life and not enjoyable at all i know i only tripped balls for like 7 min tops but it felt like WAY longer no fun at all

Back on topic screw the VQ it's all about the VK baby

Yeah I mean this project will probably take a year or more to complete. I know a couple of people that work in independent auto shops so not only would they help me do this; they would also help lower the price a good bit. The reason I would want a VQ35 is because it really has the most EO parts. There isn't any other motor that fits my needs like this one. Also from the past hour of reading about the VQ swap kit really kick ass.The only problem that I would have would be the custom headers which you don't have to have as long as your switch the steering line. That some EO parts like a Vortech supercharger, some EO headers, upgrade the suspension, z32 calipers, Brembo rotors, maybe OZ Crono wrapped in Parelli P Zero. Now all that will take probably a year and a half to build but that will be my ultimate car.

What does EO mean ?

What does EO mean ?

In Shitafornia we have a group of vegi eating bitches that have their heads far up their ass and pollute the world with smugness. That group is called CARB (California Air Resources Board). It was created in the 70's when the EPA (Environment Pollution Agency) said that vehicles had to stop polluting less and each state can only pollute so much. Because there were so many cars on the road in major cities in California, the air not only didn't meet the standards but it was so horrible that if you left your house in the morning your eyes, throat, and nose would hurt severely by the end of the day. California then made this group that made California have much more strict emission laws. It eventually worked; The smog went down and everybody was happier.

Now to make sure everybody isn't just saying their cars don't pollute, we have to have are cars smogged every 2 years. The test consists of a tail pipe sniffer that shows how much Carbon Monoxide is coming out of your vehicle. Unfortunately, it also consists of a visual test that makes sure all the emission parts are still on and if you've kept your engine stock. Now that's the part the tuners here in California hate!

There is a way around this though (well kind of). If the companies that make aftermarket parts have CARB test their equipment, they can get a CARB exemption (EO). This means when doing the smog test, your car will pass with that aftermarket part on your engine as long as it doesn't drastically effect your emissions. Everyone will agree that if they would just not have a visual test then it would not only not hurt the environment it would create a market in this money needing state, make people happy, and create an environment for new inventions.

Also, even though this is only enforced in California, it still affects cars in the rest of the United States because car manufactures aren't just going to either A. not sell their cars in California or B. Spend money on special cars just so they can sell their cars in California. So basically if we destroyed California, everyone would be happy! :mrgreen:

OT: Man I've really noticed that my grammar is really off today.

Last edited:
it was the most intense trip of my life and not enjoyable at all i know i only tripped balls for like 7 min tops but it felt like WAY longer no fun at all

Back on topic screw the VQ it's all about the VK baby

screw the subject, my foot just felt like it was about to bend in half, how bad is it compared to say, that

I don't think you can do it in Texas, but I have a friend who hangs out with a few ZT guys down in Washington, and one of them drives an R32 GTS-t, I know that it is state legal for sure. But then again, he apparently knows a guy with titles to give out, or something like that. But really, you guys down in the US might as well just get the engine and front clip (if we're talking S13 here), it's cheaper.

There are definitely ways to do it...I can think of 3 people that I know just in my town who drive imported JDM cars (an Integra, a Civic hatchback, and an R32 GTR) and there are actually several other JDM cars running around. Some of the advice that I've heard about pulling it off is to literally just call the highway patrol or inspection places or DMV etc. and ask them...most of the time they can explain how to go about it.

In Shitafornia we have a group of vegi eating bitches that have their heads far up their ass and pollute the world with smugness. That group is called CARB (California Air Resources Board). It was created in the 70's when the EPA (Environment Pollution Agency) said that vehicles had to stop polluting less and each state can only pollute so much. Because there were so many cars on the road in major cities in California, the air not only didn't meet the standards but it was so horrible that if you left your house in the morning your eyes, throat, and nose would hurt severely by the end of the day. California then made this group that made California have much more strict emission laws. It eventually worked; The smog went down and everybody was happier.

Now to make sure everybody isn't just saying their cars don't pollute, we have to have are cars smogged every 2 years. The test consists of a tail pipe sniffer that shows how much Carbon Monoxide is coming out of your vehicle. Unfortunately, it also consists of a visual test that makes sure all the emission parts are still on and if you've kept your engine stock. Now that's the part the tuners here in California hate!

There is a way around this though (well kind of). If the companies that make aftermarket parts have CARB test their equipment, they can get a CARB exemption (EO). This means when doing the smog test, your car will pass with that aftermarket part on your engine as long as it doesn't drastically effect your emissions. Everyone will agree that if they would just not have a visual test then it would not only not hurt the environment it would create a market in this money needing state, make people happy, and create an environment for new inventions.

Also, even though this is only enforced in California, it still affects cars in the rest of the United States because car manufactures aren't just going to either A. not sell their cars in California or B. Spend money on special cars just so they can sell their cars in California. So basically if we destroyed California, everyone would be happy! :mrgreen:

OT: Man I've really noticed that my grammar is really off today.
You should be thankful, thanks to CARB. California, specifically LA has some of the best air quality in the US! :cool:

Oh wait, seems according to the American Lung Association, Southern California tops the pollution scale for every single statistic :blink:

http://lungaction.org/reports/sota07_cities.html

Rember there is a big difference between State legalized and Federally legalized... I can go register a 1992 Nissan Skyline GTR today in NH with no problems because the state has a 15 year rule like Canada however if i get pulled over somewhere other than NH they can impound and crush my car...

Rember there is a big difference between State legalized and Federally legalized... I can go register a 1992 Nissan Skyline GTR today in NH with no problems because the state has a 15 year rule like Canada however if i get pulled over somewhere other than NH they can impound and crush my car...

Not only that the federal government can crush it in NH too. It's kinda like medical weed in California; The state thinks it's ok but the federal government doesn't.

To Twerp: I know! It's super retarded. They try to trick people in the state that the stuff they're doing is actually good!