Travelling the US and Canada

It's pretty alright. If you end up in Wisconsin, th Oshkosh EAA meuseum is neat, too...but there's really no reason to go much out of your way.
http://museum.eaa.org/information/ (home of the world's largest Adiation event...the EAA AirVenture Fly-In)

In Ohio, Cedar Point Amusement part is worth a stop. I know I mentioned it in passing before, but you did mention you liked amusement parks. It has more roller coasters than any single park in the world (17) plus other rides.

Dates have yet to be set... but i'll for sure let everyone know where we will be and when!

I dont know why ppl are recommending Six Flags MM outside of LA to the JJJ. He said he's going to San Jose, CA which is nowhere near close to MM which is in southern cal. As far as theme parks go, yes go to Cedar Point in Sandusky OH, thats between your route to DC and Chicago.

Between Chicago and SD, im out of ideas, but is yellowstone natl park too far out of your way?

I'll be taking my newley accquired Cherokee and my friend is taking a VW Bus... there are four of us going... but we need two cars (stupid new driver rules... :mad:)

"Sorry officer, we were not made presently aware of this stipulation on our driver's licenses. We will gladly pay the full cost of the ticket at our earliest convenience."

*one nostril sniff* "Well." *looks at each of you intently* "I'm gonna let you boys off with a warning." *saunters off*

Baha. But seriously, once you're outside of the province where you hold your license, do the cops have any jurisdiction over graduated license restrictions?

edit:
OH SHI-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver's_license_in_Canada#British_Columbia.5B8.5D.5B9.5D

you have to take a second road test to get a full license? What? That's harsh. Here there's just one test (which is maybe 30 minutes) and then you automatically move up to a full license after 15 months if you have no infractions. Aaaand in bisonland we can have as many people in the back as there are seat belts on an intermediate license. Sucks for BC, I guess.

Last edited:
Ya, our rules are kinda BS... it takes almost 3 years to get your full licence here in BC... plus the RCMP and the Washington Police have a deal that if either of them catch residences of eachothers jurisdictions making infractions (driving) then they are able to enforce them.

Plus it's mostly just our parents being like "you can't break the driving rules or else blah blah blah"

@edkwon: We are going up from san jose.. to LA then to SF so we will be going past there.

Aaaand in bisonland we can have as many people in the back as there are seat belts on an intermediate license. Sucks for BC, I guess.

I know in the US, license restrictions are done by state. One state may make it so that you can have zero passengers beyond the fully licensed passenger next to you, while others allow you to have a car full of licensed passengers, while others limit time of day, etc.

In Washington the license restrictions are a little gay, but not that bad. You can get your license at 16, but if you get it before you're 18, then once you get your license you have a 6 month period where you can't have any passengers under 25 who aren't immediate family members in the car. It sucks, but we get around it. :p If you turn 18 before you've had your license for 6 months then the restrictions are lifted on your 18th birthday, which is what's gonna happen for me :)

Wow all that license stuff is complicated! Once you pass your test here you can do what you like... The only restriction is on the number of offences before your license gets taken away.

@edkwon: We are going up from san jose.. to LA then to SF so we will be going past there.

Wait do you have your geography right? Because San Jose is in the southern part of the Bay Area an hour south of SF, but that whole area is still 5-6 hrs north of LA.

So youre saying youre starting in the northern cal/bay area....then driving down to LA....then driving back up to SF again?

Oh whoops, I'm typing San Jose and meaning san Diego.... San diego then north to LA/San Fran

I know it'll seem like a cliche but if you're in Toronto, check out the CN Tower. You should also check out Niagara Falls if you're in the area. Go see the falls themselves, most of the rest of the city are tourist traps.

Sounds like an awesome trip, have a kicka** time!

...so very jealous... :p

Oh whoops, I'm typing San Jose and meaning san Diego.... San diego then north to LA/San Fran

That makes more sense, ok have fun, Magic Mtn is a pretty good roller coaster park. You should really look into doing the drive up the PCH/Highway 1 up to SF if you can, yes its cliched, but on a roadtrip like this, its worth the extra 5-6 hrs drive time.

When youre in the LA area, stop somewhere and get some Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles, i'm pretty sure they have nothing like it in Vancouver, for locations in southern cal, just google them. There are multiple locations, just stay away from Crenshaw, thats 'Boys in the Hood' ghetto territory.

Just to illustrate w some recent photos i took on my last drive

2993247248_d696c7343d.jpg

2993248358_ee9c65398a.jpg

2992404483_3c10886fda.jpg

2993253588_4f49b0bb3a.jpg

2993260086_467421e25f.jpg

Last edited:
And if youre driving on the PCH, you should definitely stop by Hearst Castle, a tour should be no more than than 2-3 hrs of your time, beautiful architecture and artwork, located in San Simeon, CA in San Luis Obispo cty

2993347370_5b1778d58e.jpg

2992476669_cef84dffd1.jpg

2992485443_4ee616e956.jpg

2992510057_a37f2124b6.jpg

2993377050_4c37551666.jpg

You could always hit the Tail of the dragon. . .

You could always hit the Tail of the dragon. . .

I heard because so many people drive hard on the Tail and there were so many accidents, the road is heavily patrolled by police making it no longer fun to drive, plus you get stuck behind ppl driving slowly (albeit safely) and end up stewing behind a wheel with a lot of road rage because you cannot pass.

This is coming from ppl i know who used to make driving pilgrimages there and say some of the fun has been sucked out of it.

^^

Gorgeous!

Montreal, Canada is a must btw!

Indeed, I just came back from my trip to Montreal last night. But if you're going to drive through Montreal, and especially the downtown area ... holly shit, pay close attention. Driving through there will be a BITCH. So many one-way streets and forbidden turns, you will not believe.

Oh, and the street signs you may use for orientation are VERY small and usually on the exact opposite corner of the road, so you can't read them until it's too late and you miss your turn ... then you gotta do a U-turn ... if it's permitted.
Also, the streetlights are at eye level .. literally, and they're not overhead, but to the right, so it's VERY easy to miss one. And you better learn Quebec's driving laws, because they're damn weird. No right turn on a red light? Why? What's the point?
Also, be very careful when you drive through Montreal ... jaywalking is a favorite pastime as far as the downtown core area is concerned... So is crossing an intersection on foot on a "do not walk" pedestrian sign. I thought I was going to run someone over on my trip.

But definitely you need to see Montreal, just be very careful when driving.

A cop told me that they are changing the road signs in our area to ones with bigger writing (signs are very small in Canada!)

The reason why? To help the increasing number of 'baby boomers' and their dodgy eyesight. Good to know, eh? :?