2009: Year of the PS3??

I certainly hope GT5 arrives this year! Realistically though, we won't see it until 2010 at the earliest. Spec LXXVI GT5: Prologue, anyone? I do hope that the PS3 exclusives improve as there is really no reason outside of MGS4 or GT5 that would "force" someone to purchase the PS3.

PS3 allready is AFAIK the best selling console... after the allmighty Wii.

PS3 allready is AFAIK the best selling console... after the allmighty Wii.

That would make it the second-best selling console, then.

And it's not even that - look at the overall sales or the weekly sale on this site. Last in Europe and the US.

The problem with the PS3 is still the price - when a new PS3 costs ?280 and a new 360 costs ?99; there isn't a huge amount of choice. Then consider that each has good exclusive games, and a lot of good games are multiformat. And Bluray has, well, failed to catch on as a format (at least in the UK).

Even Microsoft are predicting a PS3 price drop. Let's hope it comes true.

finally I can buy the PS3, I've got the HDTV and G25 ready, all I need now is the PS3 and GT5.

sony have not yet turned a profit from selling consoles, only recently have they managed to get the hardware costs down to a point where they might turn a profit this year so for sony to cut the Ps3's price would make their already dwindling electronics department even more unprofitable, they announced late last year that it was being downsized with jobcuts. (and before anyone asks they have made their money from licensing games and peripherals)

I love our PS3 and I think it is the best of the consoles, my family also has a wii which got old real fast with my 10 year old brother the only one who plays it anymore and I have a couple of friends who have had their 360's replaced more than once.

If your a baseball fan on PS3, the "MLB The Show" franchise is awesome, and the 09 version is going to be amazing with all the features and options they plan on adding.

sony have not yet turned a profit from selling consoles, only recently have they managed to get the hardware costs down to a point where they might turn a profit this year so for sony to cut the Ps3's price would make their already dwindling electronics department even more unprofitable, they announced late last year that it was being downsized with jobcuts. (and before anyone asks they have made their money from licensing games and peripherals)

I love our PS3 and I think it is the best of the consoles, my family also has a wii which got old real fast with my 10 year old brother the only one who plays it anymore and I have a couple of friends who have had their 360's replaced more than once.

Again, I didn't realise that sony making money from a console made it more enjoyable for me to play?

Again, I didn't realise that sony making money from a console made it more enjoyable for me to play?

It doesn't but it puts in the back of your mind "Better technology for cheaper and they are willing to take a hit in money to make a good product afforable for me."

Unlike MS "Release without testing and allow 70% to fail and we will deal with it."

It doesn't but it puts in the back of your mind "Better technology for cheaper and they are willing to take a hit in money to make a good product afforable for me."

Unlike MS "Release without testing and allow 70% to fail and we will deal with it."

Uhh...making a loss on console sales has always been the industry way. The idea being you sell the console at a reasonable price, take a hit on the manufacturing costs, and then recoup that through games and accessories sales. It's the disposable razor/razor-blade theory; or the inkjet printer one.

The Wii is the exception, as it is sold at a profit. The 360 now just makes a small profit (I believe) due to different manufacturing techniques and components becoming cheaper. Sony is almost at breakeven, also due to manufacturing techniques and components (note it cost sony $850 to make each ps3 at launch).

Don't hold Sony up on a pedestal just because they sell the PS3 at a loss; it's what all the manufacturers do.

Last edited:
Uhh...making a loss on console sales has always been the industry way. The idea being you sell the console at a reasonable price, take a hit on the manufacturing costs, and then recoup that through games and accessories sales. It's the disposable razor/razor-blade theory; or the inkjet printer one.

The Wii is the exception, as it is sold at a profit. The 360 now just makes a small profit (I believe) due to different manufacturing techniques and components becoming cheaper. Sony is almost at breakeven, also due to manufacturing techniques and components (note it cost sony $850 to make each ps3 at launch).

Don't hold Sony up on a pedestal just because they sell the PS3 at a loss; it's what all the manufacturers do.

No it really isn't. Consoles lose money at the beginning and it was typically that they were making profits after the second price cut. PS2 are making money, PS1's, N64, Gamecube they all were making money. The 360 has been seeing profits for about 2 years now (but only recently if you add in all the repair costs and swaps because of the red-ring).

I am not a Sony fanboy by any means. My PC followed by 360 get the most use out of me. I own every console (besides PSP) and am extremely unbiased now especially considering when I was younger I was an Xbox fanboy.

The Xbox 1 never made much money (if any), and MS said that was because of the internal harddrive.

I hate the fact that the PS3 is more expensive than x360, but it isn't expensive anymore.
You get alot more for your money and an overall better product. Games? As it has been said, many games are multi platform. If you want to enjoy your gaming, buy good games.

Last edited:
:lmao: :rofl: :lol: QFT..

I came into this thread to read about any new games, because I'm a gamer first, and a 360 player second, and most of the posts are just extreme fanboy stuff like 'the 360 has nothing but Halo 3' or 'it breaks down every 2 minutes' and other exaggerated bullshit. Who cares? If you're so happy with your PS3 why do you all have to make forum threads reinforcing yourselves and telling everyone you've got such a great console?

Sounds like buyer's remorse to me.

^Ditto, I'm happy with my 360. But if I had the money lying around for a PS3 I'd pick one up in a heartbeat for GT5 alone. A lot of the people at work have PS3s and they love 'em. At the time when I bought my 360 the PS3 was just too expensive and couldn't offer me a driving sim, where as the 360 had the Forza 2 and the Orange Box as well as my existing network of XBL friends.

I'm a fan of my PS3, but I recently got a hold of a 360, though I've not played much of it save for PES, it looks like a decent enough console.