Integra Type-R in Canada

you would never run out of tuning possibilities for that engine...

however, for that price range, I would recommend the Subaru WRX

you would never run out of tuning possibilities for that engine...

however, for that price range, I would recommend the Subaru WRX

one of my buddies (a few years older than me though) picked up a WRX in the states a few months ago, very nice car (in fact i wouldnt mind one :)).
i havent been really looking out for any, but in my price range, what year WRX am i looking at?

How about a MX-5? Plenty of tune potential, small, and can be had well within your budget.

one of my buddies (a few years older than me though) picked up a WRX in the states a few months ago, very nice car (in fact i wouldnt mind one :)).
i havent been really looking out for any, but in my price range, what year WRX am i looking at?

2003-2005 for a clean one.

How about a MX-5? Plenty of tune potential, small, and can be had well within your budget.

hairdresser's car?! :p
forgot to mention i'll probably drive the car during the winter months in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
if i had a MX-5, i couldn't bear to see it take on the winter... :cry:

Thanks nouseferaname90,
I'll definitely keep an eye out for a WRX.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the engine, but it's the one in the Canadian Civic Si, (not SiR) but don't get ANYTHING with this engine. It's completley gutless. Sure it revs to 7000rpm but it just consumes more fuel up there, it doesn't actually produce any more power... VTEC is such a joke. I hate that engine so much. No low end torque whatsoever no top end power. (actually no power anywhere) you get a bit of torque at about 4000rpm, but then it's gone right away. I hate it.

Anyways, that's my rant of the day.

The Canadian Si is equivalent to the US Civic EX...it's a (as you said) gutless 1.6L motor (D16Y8). The Integra Type R motor is a completely different animal. The US 99-00 Civic Si (equivalent to the Canadian SiR) is a smaller-displacement variant of the ITR motor, and isn't a bad little motor...albeit lacking in low end.
The Mazdaspeed Protege is a great car(I'm picky as hell, so that coming from me is a huge compliment), a good friend of mine has one and I've driven it plenty, but I prefer the driving experience of an Integra. It's hard to say exactly why...some of it may just be personal preference, which would obviously vary wildly.

The Canadian Si is equivalent to the US Civic EX...it's a (as you said) gutless 1.6L motor (D16Y8). The Integra Type R motor is a completely different animal. The US 99-00 Civic Si (equivalent to the Canadian SiR) is a smaller-displacement variant of the ITR motor, and isn't a bad little motor...albeit lacking in low end.
The Mazdaspeed Protege is a great car(I'm picky as hell, so that coming from me is a huge compliment), a good friend of mine has one and I've driven it plenty, but I prefer the driving experience of an Integra. It's hard to say exactly why...some of it may just be personal preference, which would obviously vary wildly.

Ya I know, that's why I said "Canadian Si". I have no *real* opinion on the SiR motor/Typre-R Motor. But I can say that I do like torque. (look at my list of cars and you'll understand why)

2004-2005 Forester XT

Ok ok the looks are debatable but read the following Forum threads from subaruforester.org and tell me your are not even mildly interested

:blink:
thats definitely something i have to keep in mind :lol:

anything i should look out for specifically in used WRXs?
i've noticed that for my price range, the motor's usually have 1xx,xxx to 2xx,xxx.

:blink:
thats definitely something i have to keep in mind :lol:

anything i should look out for specifically in used WRXs?
i've noticed that for my price range, the motor's usually have 1xx,xxx to 2xx,xxx.

The one thing to watch for on WRX's?

Prepare to get reemed on insurance

The one thing to watch for on WRX's?
Prepare to get reemed on insurance

The owners here in North America are not generally chavtastic like in Oz or the Uk, so insurance prices are a bit lower.

If you see a WRX owner with a crooked cap, chances are he was probably scratching his head. :lol: Most are nerdy, mouth breathing autophiles.

Like me! :D

The owners here in North America are not generally chavtastic like in Oz or the Uk, so insurance prices are a bit lower.

If you see a WRX owner with a crooked cap, chances are he was probably scratching his head. :lol: Most are nerdy, mouth breathing autophiles.

Not that many are "riced" (chav is a british thing - we prefer the term bogan :p) compared to say a mitsubishi lancer, it's just alot of them have a tendency to end up in a tree.

whew... thats good to know

thanks again for all the help
just gotta get all my ducks in a row and search the web until the perfect car comes up

I can't see why anyone would spend $15K on a 10-15 year old FWD Honda. Only reason those things fetch so much is because of the remaining neanderthals from the Fast'n'Furious crowd. It was a great car in its day, but it would be utterly decimated by any of the more current competition. Not only that...you live in Canada, where we can revel in our weak import laws. For $15 grand, you can find an imported Lancer Evo, a GTiR, or hell, even a R32 GT-R these days.

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ctd/993812024.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ctd/987328648.html

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ctd/975484733.html

^ What this guy said... :mrgreen:

Actually Canada is slightly different. The Insurance Bureau of Canada puts the Impreza WRX as one of the riskiest cars to insure. The theft rate is particularly bad for 2004 Impreza WRXs including the Sti that they're #3 for most stolen car in the country. The other numbers including collision and property damage don't look good either.

The IBC's list covers cars from 1995-2007
http://www.ibc.ca/en/Car_Insurance/documents/hcmu/2008/CW-FinalE-wlogo.pdf

It gives a good indication of how high or low your rate is likely to go.