2009 F1 Car Launches

I think we have a winner.

I really wish the wheelbases were just a bit shorter on these cars.

Th rear wing doesn't look out of place at all on the McMerc like it does on the others. It's also the first car not to have some weird deflectors or strange mirrors at the side.

It's obviously the best looking one yet, And I think it's to do with the fact that they raised the sidepods by a lot, makeing the reaer wing look less detached. I prefer the Ferrari nose cone, but I'm sure this will work at least as well...

The exhausts are an interesting solution, you can see their exit point seems to have been designed so the hot air and gases blows onto the tyre. McLarens always look nice, and this one (within the bounds of the new regs) is no exception!

Yep, definately the best looking one yet. Can't wait to see it in action :)

McLaren_MP4_24_10.jpg

Maybe I need more pics but it doesn't look as good as Ferrari. But it isn't beauty contest so it it doesn't matter for me so much.

And there are couple of fotos where drivers are taking fotos of themselves. ;)

McLaren_MP4_24_05.jpg

The top view makes it look.. almost classical

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/7032/42054041le2.jpg

She's a beast! Pure musclecar...

I love how they didn't take a studio pic that will show how silly the rear wing is gonna look.

Absolutely love the intricate, fantastic front suspension setup :D

That's a very good comparison pic, TheRealStig. The problem with the Ferrari's rear wing is very obviously that the rest of the car looks thin and low, while the McLaren looks more beefy. It's going to be very exciting indeed on monday when we get to see the Renault and the Williams.

^^After having seen BMW's first attempts, I wouldn't put my hopes up...:p

With this MP4/24,

it is now Stefano Domenicali vs Martin Whitmarsh.

would be nice to see how Martin runs things in place of Ron.

He's been doing it for the past couple of seasons, Ron's pretty much been playing supervisor during this time. It's been only rare cases in which Ron's actually had to do anything himself. We won't see much of a difference minus Ron's presence in the pitwall, or his voice in communications.

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but can someone please explain the reasons behind the small rear wing. Thanks.

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but can someone please explain the reasons behind the small rear wing. Thanks.

An overall lessening of the amount of downforce the cars create was mandated, leading to the narrow nature of the rear wing. It has also been raised up in height in an effort to reduce the effect a leading car's aero-wake has on a following car, in theory making it easier to follow a car closely, improving the chance of overtaking in the hopefully longer braking zones, created by the lower downforce overall.

Last edited:
An overall lessening of the amount of downforce the cars create was mandated, leading to the narrow nature of the rear wing. It has also been raised up in height in an effort to reduce the effect a leading car's aero-wake has on a following car, in theory making it easier to follow a car closely, improving the chance of overtaking in the hopefully longer braking zones, created by the lower downforce overall.
but if the wing was wider but still tall, it would still let people overtake, right?

Yes, it would create more downforce, but would that still get rid of the "dirty air" issue?