A Kit car as the new reasonably priced car?

MWF, i agree with you on all points and i envy you for the calmness with which you repeat them eventhough they have already been said by you, me and a dozen others in this and dozens of other threads. If i would have re-posted all you said, my post would be full of cursing and CAPS.

Just one thing i'd like to add: as i think it's safe to assume that the RPC is some kind of product placement/sponsorship deal, even if only in the sense that they are sold to the BBC at a discount price, we can cut out Dacia, even with another model than the Sandero. Advertising is not part of Renault's concept for the Dacia brand. All brands by US companys are off cause of the mother company's financial troubles, too.
Proton's main owner, the Malaysian government, is looking for a buyer cause of the company's troubles, so i guess they are out of the picture, too. In fact, any company that is not already won't start a "brand awareness" campaign that might include a RPC in today's economic climate.
In conclusion, that leaves us with the "budget" brands of the european and asian carmakers... even if TG magazine liked them especailly the Kia Picanto looks bad enough to be a RPC, the Seat Ibiza would be a candidate, even if not as bad as the current RPC especially its budget model is far from being as "sporty" as Seat's brand image...

I think one of the reasons they could be retiring the Lacetti after a shorter time than the Liana might be down to GM's financial woes.

Thanks for the analysis, It all makes quite a great bit of sense but I was just wondering why exactly GM's financial worries would have an effect on the Lacetti retirement. I really don't have a counter or any arguing point, just curious. Is it due to the fact that Chevy may just stop producing Lacetti's in the future or is it due more to the fact that it is unknown what the final result will be?

They've had Suzuki now, they'll want something else.

Personally I can't see the car being changed for a few years (unless you want to see the same guests return for a third time to do a lap in the new car) but if they do, I can imagine it being something like a Lada or maybe a Mazda (don't forget the MPS is still the cheapest fast saloon). Hell, with the Insignia coming out that might be used if it's any good. :)

It may be kinda pity cause its french, but how 'bout this little thing here:

http://img161.imageshack.**/img161/8122/207651201854255961wq5.jpg

The thing is that its a sport version of a reasonably priced car.
Suzuki Swift with the Sport would also be considerable.

Last edited:
Well if they want to stick with cars that start with L, here is a nice list:
Dacia Logan
Mistubishi Lancer model under 10K (most likely the 1.6 GLX)
SEAT Leon model under 10K
Volkswagon Lupo

Mistubishi Lancer model under 10K (most likely the 1.6 GLX)

Base model is ?15kish, but apart from this it's perfect:

- Lesser known brand
- Saloon rather than hatch
- Reliable
- Begins with L
- Available in a light blue colour

DO IT ANDY!

Last edited:
how about KITT from nightrider. The show got cancelled and NBC doesn't have a use for it

That in no way was meant to be serious

Why not a Ford Mondeo?

Too big I would think, and too expensive compared to the Lacetti. A Terios would be on it's side in no time.

How bout a smart car! That would be hilarious to see it navigate the hammerhead, hell every corner!

But then they wouldn't be able to put the Stig in there as well.
And they don't start with L, and there's not enough of them to be blue.
Good idea, though...
I think the point of the RPC is so that it's reasonable and not that overly interesting, so that it becomes brilliant through it's RPC'ness.

how about KITT from nightrider. The show got cancelled and NBC doesn't have a use for it

That in no way was meant to be serious

Neither was Knight Rider to begin with. Another vote for the Dacia Sandero from me!

The Aussies used a Proton as a RPC, didn't they? Unless I'm mistaken, it's a Satria Neo.