Choosing between Golf V and Yaris

Golf, Golf, Golf. Unless your mother needs to make too many km per year (then diesel may be cheaper than petrol in the long run) or needs to drive regularly on small roads and city areas where having a little car may be much much better, in which case I'd have the Yaris.

Golf is soooo much better, and the 1.4 122hp is way more reliable than the first 1.4 170hp, which is the one that may have had some issues because it was new.

Last edited:
Most importantly - Golf is safer.

the golf is too expensive, probably another yaris because it'a a toyota, or somekind of volvo.

and also, if it has only 2000km it most probably is a show car, so no proper break in, only thrasing, it isn't that much cheaper

The Golf is too expensive? What do you mean?

Sure, it's a hatchback and not a super mini, like the Yaris. But you get a better car!

Expensive? It's a 1.4 liter TSI engine, one of the most modern and cleanest engines in the world. That means low tax. Insurance isn't high as well. Running costs? Forget it, there are about 5 million or so Golfs on our roads here, costs for maintenance and spare parts is a lot cheaper, than for any import car. The only thing you have to live with, is the sometimes grumpy customer service attitude of VW dealers. But there are alternatives to that.

And about the fact that it's probably a show car: Even if it had an effect on the durability of the engine (which I don't believe), then the engine is still good for 150.000 to 200.000 km. A friend of mine has a Golf III with the 1.6 liter engine and it has 320.000 km on the speedo - first engine, no repairs, no problems. Golfs last for a very long time and Toyotas are not as reliable anymore, as they have been 5 to 10 years ago.

So forget about the "not properly broken in" thing. Chances are high, that the car will be sold (or crashed again), long before it dies by mechanical failure. And if it is sold, you'll get a lot more money after, say, 5 years for the Golf, than for the Yaris. A LOT more money.

So Soundsession, go for the Golf, because

- it's the much better car
- it's the more practical car
- it's also good for long distance travels, while the Yaris is a city car
- the deal you have been offered, is great value for money
- you will get much more money for it, when you sell it again
- the whole driving experience is more satisfactory
- interior and trim quality is outstanding

;)

Last edited:
I don't personally consider the Yaris a bad car, probably for the fact that I've driven several cars that are much worse in several ways including the 2009 North American Corolla. Considering the Golf in question is being sold at the same price as a Yaris and it only has 2000 kms apparently, then you're getting much better value for the Golf since its a class up from the Yaris. The only certain advantage the Yaris will have over a Golf is fuel economy.

Golf. I drove the Yaris as rental car and - excuse me - even my mother (who drove a twingo some years ago) said the car has the cheapest looking interior she has seen in a long time. As well, the whole seating position and haptics of the car were absolute rubbish. The engine (it was the TS) was uncivilized, slow and thirsty.
The Golf 1.4 TSI engine is (imho) the best engine for small cars around atm. As well, the Golf V is build-quality wise a huge improvement over the yaris. It is not really pretty, but it is all well made and doesn't look like it has been designed in the 80s. As well, since it is a used car and the new Golf is out, try to get some money off the 18.000 or make the dealer add winter tires etc :)

golf

She wants to buy the new model, which just came out, whith 6 speed gearbox and the 1.4 diesel.[...]
... wich is generally not a bad engine ... but, I renctly read an comparrison ( concerning german tax-law being high for diesels and diesel/petrol-prices being so close to each other) about "when do Diesel Cars get profitable nowadays"
And all the small Cars with Diesel engines don?t do good if you don?t drive them a lot. Can?t recall the numbers correctly but with a small hatchback and a small Diesel compared to the same car with a petrol engine, you start saving some money only if you drive way past 20000km in a year.
If your Mom just drives around town and does under 10000km a year, she should be looking for a petrol-car instead.

Last edited:
... wich is generally not a bad engine ... but, I renctly read an comparrison ( concerning german tax-law being high for diesels and diesel/petrol-prices being so close to each other) about "when do Diesel Cars get profitable nowadays"
And all the small Cars with Diesel engines don?t do good if you don?t drive them a lot. Can?t recall the numbers correctly but with a small hatchback and a small Diesel compared to the same car with a petrol engine, you start saving some money only if you drive way past 20000km in a year.
If your Mom just drives around town and does under 10000km a year, she should be looking for a petrol-car instead.
The situation is the same here and if the debate in Germany goes anything like it does here (as we generally think alike) then taxes need to reflect CO2 output, so the petrol car may soon become more expensive to tax or the diesel cheaper. The current situation is absurd.

I really don't like any Golfs later than the Mk IV, but still, for my Mom i'd recommand a Golf over a Yaris any day as the engine noise in the Yaris is unbearable going faster than 80km/h even if you like rock music enough to crank the stereo to max just to drone the engine noise... Let alone the Golf's more cheaper, more comfortable, does not look like a Fisher-Price car...

The Golf is like the Toyota, except it's a little bit better at everything. And it's not a Toyota.

Well, thanks a lot for your thoughts.
They helped me to provide me with ebough arguments for the Golf so I could achieve the impossible :D

She took the Golf!

Thanks again...

(I love this board) :cool: