Where to go on 1000USD?

First of all, I did the UK for 2kUSD last year with a car, so I see no reason why I can't travel for 1K. Second, I have the money to buy an "AWD Saloon", but I have no intention to buy one quite yet.

EDIT2: ^ Wow, this is why I should have put "no advice from Americans" in the thread title.

WTF? How you do that?. We went on holiday to the South-East this year. 10 days we where away and I can understand why pple holiday so much abroad, the cost of a "vacation" in the UK is unreal. Cost for 10 days including fuel xame to a grand total of 1.6k GBP.

First of all, I did the UK for 2kUSD last year with a car, so I see no reason why I can't travel for 1K. Second, I have the money to buy an "AWD Saloon", but I have no intention to buy one quite yet.

EDIT2: ^ Wow, this is why I should have put "no advice from Americans" in the thread title.

well...since then, there has been rising ticket prices as well as an economic collapse.

edit:
I hear Haiti is good at this time of year. I kid though.

Try Costa Rica. I found roundtrip for $404 (not including taxes) leaving around $500 for the week.

Last edited:
Zimbabwe? Sweet. I've always wanted to be a centillionaire.

Make sure when you're in Zimbabwe to tell everyone you're a BBC journalist.

All of the places I can think of to go outside of North America (I discount Canada, as for a "must be outside of the US" restriction, Canada is more "US" than American Samoa or Guam.) cost either a) most of your money to get there or b) most of your time to get there.

On that Lastminute.com site, the lowest price South American flight is $885 per person, and that's to Brazil (I'd much rather to go Chile or Peru.

Keep in mind travel time. When you go to europe, it'll be a 14+ hour flight. so you're giving up 2 of your 7 days for travel.

All of the places I can think of to go outside of North America (I discount Canada, as for a "must be outside of the US" restriction, Canada is more "US" than American Samoa or Guam.) cost either a) most of your money to get there or b) most of your time to get there.

On that Lastminute.com site, the lowest price South American flight is $885 per person, and that's to Brazil (I'd much rather to go Chile or Peru.

Keep in mind travel time. When you go to europe, it'll be a 14+ hour flight. so you're giving up 2 of your 7 days for travel.

thats why central america is the best bet. The flights are relatively cheap.

Damnit I was going to suggest Zimbabwe. If you could get a plane ticket you could live like a king for those 7 days on probably just $5.

Me too, he's loaded. :lol:

This thread is a load of shit. I've had great vacation on less than $1000. Getting out of the US could be hard for that money, but that shouldn't limit you. Granted you have to really clarify what you want to do. I've done whitewater in Denver, Ontario, and West Virginia for a week for $600, ten days Backpacking in Montana and Canada for $500, Chartered a sailboat in Key West and Annapolis for about $900 and $600, respectively. You have to shop around, I've found the best vacations cost the less.

I have a friend who just got back from a Diving vacation in Panama(I think?) for $1,100, which was mostly airfare. If you want tourist traps, or hotels though your going to pay out the ass. But where's your sense of adventure, would you rather fly to see Key West from the Marriot, or a rented beach house living amongst the locals.

This thread is a load of shit. I've had great vacation on less than $1000.

Denver
Ontario
West Virginia
Montana
Canada
Annapolis

Umm...

Getting out of the US could be hard for that money

Which is exactly the challenge we're not exactly excelling at.

I'm just saying 1.) You don't need to leave the US to have a great time 2.) Sure Europe, South America, and Asia are out of question, but I reckon for $1,000 you could whip up a skiing vacation in Banff for two, or sea kayaking in British Columbia. Point is, he can travel on that amount of money, just need to be creative.

Darkshark: i've scanned 4 pages of this thread and not once do you go into any detail of your hobbies, interests or what you like to actually DO on a vacation holiday. Maybe if you did it would help narrow down and focus recommendations on where to vacation in the US. Your question is incredibly vague and broad. Help ppl out here by giving them more info to work with instead of panning suggestions.

Darkshark: i've scanned 4 pages of this thread and not once do you go into any detail of your hobbies, interests or what you like to actually DO on a vacation holiday. Maybe if you did it would help narrow down and focus recommendations on where to vacation in the US. Your question is incredibly vague and broad. Help ppl out here by giving them more info to work with instead of panning suggestions.

Well said, Ed!:)

I'm just saying 1.) You don't need to leave the US to have a great time 2.) Sure Europe, South America, and Asia are out of question.

Did you read his first post? Going out of the US is important. Heck, it was higher up the list than being "fun!"

^Canada is not US, eh.