Project Car Hell - Finalgear Edition #2

Project Car Hell - Finalgear Edition #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
The winner of last week's Project Car Hell was the Lamborghini Espada.

Here is the 2nd weekly Finalgear Project Car Hell.

This week we have:

A 1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2009/01/20/a941_4.JPG
We have a 1970 Challenger Converible in need of a total restoration. Comes with the original 318 engine and automatic transmission. This car is not road worthy and has not run for years but it does turn over. Power top appears to be complete. The floors are not too bad. The frame is repairable see pics. What you see is what you get there are no other parts for this car. All replacement body panels are available through after-market suppliers. THE TITLE IS CLEAR AND READY FOR THE NEW OWNER! There is no vin on the dash but we can help you get this cleared up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chal...oryZ6198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Up against a 1971 Citroen DS Super

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2009/01/20/02af_12.JPG
I did not bother to try to clean the car up or shine, or in any way make it look better than it is for this ad.. It probably will clean up nicely, but I do not have the time right now. The car is very straight, and appears to be very original . Bumpers are very straight, and all lights and lenses are present. Front hood and passenger side fender are obviously primered, but are straight and appear to have no damage at all - maybe they are from another car? This would make a great project , or if need be , would be a cornucopia of great used parts , maybe to complete your dream car? First of all, there IS some rust in this car, but not much from what I can tell. Trunk floor has a hole in it, but when I put car up high on the suspension to inspect and take photos (please examine pictures) floors look solid from underneath. I think maybe hole was made on purpose to drain water out of trunk? I do not know about the passenger floor or sills , but a quick look under the car did not show any alarming indications. Floors and sills, upon a quick look look fine, but I would guess they may need attention eventually. If you plan on this, you may be pleasantly surprised. Trunk lid is rusty. Doors , front hood, front fenders and fender do NOT appear to have any rust however. Front hood is perfect with no repair work at all - Worth quite a bit of money by itself.

Car DOES start and run ( I drove it up on the trailer) , but I do not guarantee the engine in any way , it was coughing and sputtering and running off of a can of gas under the hood. (Gas in tanki smelled bad) Plugs and points are old, and carburetor could use a cleaning. Gearbox shifted fine, and brakes worked perfectly. SUSPENSION came right up, feels correct , and stayed up for two days after I shut the car off. Power steering worked great. Clutch feels good and did not slip. Went into gears without any trouble.

Interior appears to be taken out of a DS21 Pallas , and front leather seats look pretty good, but leather is dry and could use some attention. I think the seats will respond to hide food and be usable for some time still , and seats have the rare headrests which are nice. All 4 door panels are leather and look good. Car has a lot of Pallas trim. Rear seat is a quality recover in a blue/gray cloth and looks good , but has some adhesive on top of the rear seat, and should be cleaned. Headliner is shot , and gross.

Dash is complete , and everything seems to work as it should. E-brake works good. Sill covers look good. All windows go up and down and are not broken . I did not run car enough to try heater , but I do not see why it would not work. Front tire are good Michelin XVS , and have most of their tread left. Rear tires are another brand and not as good. Pallas stainless steel hubcaps included.

You will NOT be able to drive this car home, bring your trailer , or have a transport company pick it up for you. I can help load if you need help. There are some extra parts in the back , nothing too exciting, but they are yours. This would make a great start for a project , and with a little work (mainly a tune-up and inspection of brakes and hydraulics) you will probably have a good driver. Car does not leak anything, not oil , coolant, or hydraulic fluid, so that is an auspicious sign.

In short, a complete rare car with the desirable manual transmission that you can drive (probably) while you restore, or would (tragically) make a great parts car for you too. I have tons of other parts for sale too , check my other auctions if you are just looking for parts. I can make no guarantees about this car other that it is sold as pictured and described, and I will provide a clean title to be transferred to the new owner.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971...oryZ6183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Remember, you are voting for the one you think will be more hellish to restore.
Again, I'll leave the poll open for 7 days.

Last edited:
Despite the paperwork/VIN problems on the Dodge (which I would *demand* be cleared up before purchase!) you can easily checkbook the Charger restoration. In fact, given an unlimited budget I could have all the parts needed to fix that car at my door in 72 hours or less. Come to think of it, I could strip it down to just the chassis and buy *every* part needed to build the car up off it within a month.

The Citro?n.... does anyone even *make* reproduction parts for that thing any more???? Let alone the trouble with getting parts for a French car in the USA for those that weren't out of production a quarter as long...

My vote for Giant Money Pit You Will Never Complete: The Citro?n.

Last edited:
the Citroen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Dodge

The DS, no doubt about it. Parts are not being made still, and it's in the US, which would make things even harder.

There's one thing that I can tell you is wrong right off the bat - the guy says that the suspension stayed up after the engine was off for two days - this is NOT supposed to happen. The suspension is supposed to go down within minutes of the car being switched off and pressure being released from the suspension mechanism back into the spheres. That could be a costly problem right there.

I love the DS. It's one of my top 10 cars, and I'd love for it to be a cheap restoration, but it's just not. I know of a guy that's a total DS nutjob - he spent about 22k euros to completely restore a DS - and that's here in Europe.

The Goddess looks like a much more challenging restoration than the dodge, mainly because of parts vailability (which is not as bad in Europe as it is in the US, most parts can be had through clubs and such) and also as zeroSignal already pointed out, the suspension is NOT supposed to stay up after the engine's been turned off. Suspension on these cars is not a pleasure to work on.

I have to agree with Spectre on this one, the DS would be more difficult to get parts for. Shame, because I really like the DS and all of it's features like the hydraulic steering and hydraulic rotating light lenses.

Don't forget the problems all of those hydraulics could cause, too. Sounds like the valves are screwed as it is.

Last edited:
I agree about the parts problem with the DS, but that's jjust a monor road block. You can find parts. after that it sounds pretty straight forward.

I have a feeling that the challenger has a lot more rust than the owner lets on (or probably knows about). Plus the VIN/Regs thing is definetly an issue. Plus I'd hum and hah about whether to do a 440 4spd clone for months and get nothing done... :p

I agree about the parts problem with the DS, but that's jjust a monor road block. You can find parts. after that it sounds pretty straight forward.

I have a feeling that the challenger has a lot more rust than the owner lets on (or probably knows about). Plus the VIN/Regs thing is definetly an issue. Plus I'd hum and hah about whether to do a 440 4spd clone for months and get nothing done... :p

Man, are you kidding? They make replacement metal panels for Challengers, fer Chris'sakes. And you can dig a 440 out of anybody's backyard, practically.

Pitting a pony car against one of France's most technologically advanced machines is like pitting a small dog against the starting lineup of the 1993 Cowboys.

Citroen, hands down. You can practically build that Dodge from aftermarket parts. The Citroen will be nearly impossible to find parts for, especially all the hoses and valves. The plumbing of that complex hydraulic system will be a nightmare and it will take weeks once it's rebuilt to track down all the leaks. Then, once it's done, you have to keep it in repair and just when you finish doing all of that some mob will set it on fire.

They were made to be reliable... But that was 38 years ago and this is a French car. No matter what those hoses are made out of, that amount of time will cause them to perish and split, especially if they flex, and haven't flexed for years.

I bet the first time the suspension is raised, every pipe lets go and oil gushes onto the floor. :D

The DS is lovely and certainly worth the restoration, but due to the fact it's in the States I voted it. As said, you can almost kit-build your own Challenger from the ground up with the amount of parts avaliable, so even though this one is in poorer condition than the DS it's going to be easier.