The "New Toys" Thread

Nah, just a plain old washing machine. Dryers are too expensive and not worth it IMO.

Dude, wait until you experience the power of a dryer. I HATE hanging my laundry out to dry. It takes forever to hang it up and forever to dry

If by forever you mean one day then yes. I don't know. I never had one and those washer/dryer cobos are out of my price range.

^ not to mention that after hanging out to dry, your towels resemble sandpaper a little too closely....

There's a remedy for that. It's called softener (Why is that in my vocabulary, what's wrong with me?).

We also hang everything outside to dry, and where it is indeed time-consuming and frustrating (if it starts raining again), it's much better for the fabric, clothes are much less wrinkled and, best of all, clothes smell fresh and clean, not artificially dried.

There's a remedy for that. It's called softener (Why is that in my vocabulary, what's wrong with me?).

Even with softener it's like rubbing your skin with sandpaper. I like my towels soft and fluffy, not hard and abrasive...

3257568361_00e3c55231.jpg

Fabric softener is actually one of the worst things you can do to your towels. The way it works is that a 'layer' of it sticks to the fabric, making it softer, but that same layer also makes it harder for the towel to absorb water! so you are actually reducing the primary function of the towel.
It's kinda the same story with 'normal' clothes (cotton, denim, ect.) the 'layer' from the softener attracts dirt, making your clothes dirtier faster (making you use more softener (see the spiral here?)), the only clothes/fabrics you should use softener for is polyester and others like it to reduce static electricity.
And if you are only using softener because it makes the clothes smell nice, get some better smelling detergent :p

dry them in open air, they smell like winter/spring/summer/autumn then :p

And if you live in China, it can smell like industrial waste products!

Fabric softener is actually one of the worst things you can do to your towels. The way it works is that a 'layer' of it sticks to the fabric, making it softer, but that same layer also makes it harder for the towel to absorb water! so you are actually reducing the primary function of the towel.
It's kinda the same story with 'normal' clothes (cotton, denim, ect.) the 'layer' from the softener attracts dirt, making your clothes dirtier faster (making you use more softener (see the spiral here?)), the only clothes/fabrics you should use softener for is polyester and others like it to reduce static electricity.
And if you are only using softener because it makes the clothes smell nice, get some better smelling detergent :p

You learn sth. new every day. The reason I use softener is because when I grew up my parents used some eco-detergent that made everything feel like sandpaper. I need to make up for that somehow. Screw dirtier clothes, I earned it! And no, I don't like the smell of it. In fact I use a neutral one without perfume. I can't stand those industrial flavours like "mango-peach" or "ocean breeze". I think they're nasty.

Yeah, living at home and having your mother doing the laundry is more macho. I can't compete with you there. :p

It's a cultural thing, nothing macho about it. Everybody I know my age still lives with their parents.

Weird...you'd think you'd want to buy a drive with all those delicate protected under some sort of cover...

*shrugs* Oh well. Anything for a little "bling", eh kids?

[/sarcasm]

Yea, I'm gonna put a chain on it and wear it around my neck and show off my awesome storagin' abilities!
[/strange nerd gangsta...]