Kid, 13, becomes a father - The Sun is there

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2233878.ece

BOY dad Alfie Patten yesterday admitted he does not know how much nappies cost ? but said: ?I think it?s a lot.?

Baby-faced Alfie, who is 13 but looks more like eight, became a father four days ago when his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman gave birth to 7lb 3oz Maisie Roxanne.
He told how he and Chantelle, 15, decided against an abortion after discovering she was pregnant.

The shy lad, whose voice has not yet broken, said: ?I thought it would be good to have a baby.
?I didn?t think about how we would afford it. I don?t really get pocket money. My dad sometimes gives me ?10.?

Alfie, who is just 4ft tall, added: ?When my mum found out, I thought I was going to get in trouble. We wanted to have the baby but were worried how people would react.
?I didn?t know what it would be like to be a dad. I will be good, though, and care for it.?
Alfie?s dad Dennis told how the lad does not really understand the enormity of his situation ? but seemed desperate to be a devoted and responsible father.
Secret

He wanted to be the first to hold Maisie after the hospital birth. He tenderly kisses the baby and gives her a bottle.
And Dennis, 45, said: ?He could have shrugged his shoulders and sat at home on his Playstation. But he has been at the hospital every day.?
Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie ? just 12 at the time ? had a single night of unprotected sex.
They found out about the baby when Chantelle was 12 weeks pregnant.
But they kept it a secret until six weeks later when Chantelle?s mum Penny, 38, became suspicious about her weight gain and confronted her.
SNN1304A-682_732346a.jpg
Devoted ... Alfie holds and cuddles Maisie

After that Alfie?s family told only those closest to them for fear he would be ?demonised? at school.
Chantelle gave birth to Maisie on Monday night after a five-hour labour at Eastbourne Hospital, East Sussex.
Last night she told The Sun: ?I?m tired after the birth. I was nervous after going into labour but otherwise I was quite excited.?

Chantelle told how she discovered she was expecting after going to her GP with ?really bad? stomach pains. She said: ?Me and Alfie went. The doctor asked me whether we had sex. I said yes and he said I should do a pregnancy test. He did the test and said I was pregnant. I started crying and didn?t know what to do.
?He said I should tell my mum but I was too scared.
?We didn?t think we would need help from our parents. You don?t really think about that when you find out you are pregnant. You just think your parents will kill you.?
But Penny figured out what was going on after buying Chantelle a T-shirt which revealed her swelling tum.
Chantelle admitted she and Alfie ? who are both being supported by their parents ? would be accused of being grossly irresponsible. She said: ?We know we made a mistake but I wouldn?t change it now. We will be good loving parents.
?I have started a church course and I am going to do work experience helping other young mums.
?I?ll be a great mum and Alfie will be a great dad.?
SNN1304B-380_732153a.jpg
Caring ... Alfie bottle feeds his little daughter

Lee Thompson

Chantelle and Maisie were released from hospital yesterday. They are living with Penny, Chantelle?s jobless dad Steve, 43, and her five brothers in a rented council house in Eastbourne. The family live on benefits. Alfie, who lives on an estate across town with mum Nicola, 43, spends most of his time at the Steadmans? house.
He is allowed to stay overnight and even has a school uniform there so he can go straight to his classes in the morning.
Alfie?s dad, who is separated from Nicola, believes the lad is scared deep down.
He said: ?Everyone is telling him things and it?s going round in his head. It hasn?t really dawned on him. He hasn?t got a clue of what the baby means and can?t explain how he feels. All he knows is mum and dad will help.
?When you mention money his eyes look away. And she is reliant on her mum and dad. It?s crazy. They have no idea what lies ahead.?
Dennis, who works for a vehicle recovery firm, described Alfie as ?a typical 13-year-old boy?.
He said: ?He loves computer games, boxing and Manchester United.? Dennis, who has fathered nine kids, told how he was ?gobsmacked? when he discovered Alfie was to be a dad, too.
He said: ?When I spoke to him he started crying. He said it was the first time he?d had sex, that he didn?t know what he was doing and of the complications that could come.
?I will talk to him again and it will be the birds and the bees talk. Some may say it?s too late but he needs to understand so there is not another baby.?

Talk about closing the barn door after the horses have already left.. :?
Lovely

Chantelle?s mum said: ?I told her it was lovely to have the baby but I wish it was in different circumstances. We have five children already so it?s a big financial responsibility. But we are a family and will pull together and get through.
?She?s my daughter. I love her and she will want for nothing.?
Last night Michaela Aston, of the anti-abortion Christian charity LIFE, said: ?We commend these teenagers for their courage in bringing their child into the world.
?At the same time this is symptomatic of the over-sexualisation of our youngsters and shows the policy of value-free sex education just isn?t working.?
Britain?s youngest known father is Sean Stewart. He became a dad at 12 when the girl next door, 15-year-old Emma Webster, gave birth in Sharnbrook, Bedford, in 1998. They split six months later.
Yeah, way to go, religion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
SNN1304B-380_732153a.jpg

He's gonna have that expression on his face for the rest of his life. That's the look of a defeated man, and he hasn't even become a man yet.

?At the same time this is symptomatic of the over-sexualisation of our youngsters and shows the policy of value-free sex education just isn?t working.?
You know, if he had paid attention in his value-free sex education class, he'd have probably worn a rubber. Else, in your value-riddled abstinence class, he would have no idea how to prevent pregnancy.

Last edited:
What a messed up world we live in. Hey, at least he's so young that he's could not possibly understand the full consequences of this.

That is just scary, that kid looks like my second youngest cousin, and he (my cousin) is still a baby to me. His girlfriend looks so much older than him too.

And the line "Maisie was conceived after Chantelle and Alfie ? just 12 at the time ? had a single night of unprotected sex". Ummm... doesn't that imply that they have "done it" more than once but were a bit smarter those times????

Hate to sound old, but kids are growing up waaaaay too quickly today...

You are 17, YOU are still a baby (to a certain extent). Its just crazy and stupid and ridiculous. Kids are maturing a lot earlier physically and therefore entering these sorts of relationships as they have so much more exposure to it. But its not a good thing at all.

SNN1305AA-380_732314a.jpg

That's the girl friend. He looks WAY younger than "13" even with using "he has a baby face" excuse, and she looks slightly older than "15".

Yea its true that kids are hitting puberty much earlier than before. There are girls who've gotten their periods at age 11 instead around 15/16 in previous years. Yay for the chemicals and hormones in our food :)

Last edited:
You are 17, YOU are still a baby (to a certain extent). Its just crazy and stupid and ridiculous. Kids are maturing a lot earlier physically and therefore entering these sorts of relationships as they have so much more exposure to it. But its not a good thing at all.

I will agree with that one. I have close friends who are doing things that I don't want to know about, regretting it and then doing it all again. It scares me, they all try to act so old but are really quite immature. I sometimes worry that they will end up in a situation like this or worse.
I just want to enjoy the few years I have left until I will probably have a (full-time) job and a mortgage.

And I guess the young thing is relative too, my cousin thinks he's all grown up and I love to tell him how he's still my little lemur (my nickname for him) :D

Wow. She is twice his size. Hopefully they can keep up their good intentions and raise their child properly.

Wow. She is twice his size. Hopefully they can keep up their good intentions and raise their child properly.

It would make the most sense to give the baby up for adoption. I highly doubt a 15 year old and a 13 year, especially ones as clueless as these two, could manage to raise a child without tons of help from their parents.

The family live on benefits. Alfie, who lives on an estate across town with mum Nicola, 43, spends most of his time at the Steadmans? house.
He is allowed to stay overnight and even has a school uniform there so he can go straight to his classes in the morning.

:think:

It would make the most sense to give the baby up for adoption. I highly doubt a 15 year old and a 13 year, especially ones as clueless as these two, could manage to raise a child without tons of help from their parents.
Where do you think the kids got their cluelessness from?

The parents of either of the kids will probably take it and raise it as a sibling instead of letting the kids raise it themselves. That's been done before.

Wow this is just crazy. I'm 22 and even now couldn't even imagine having a kid. My best friend growing up had a kid at 20 and it pretty much freaked me out that my friends were already having children.. But at 13? Well, honestly, he hasn't even gotten to the point mentally where that kind of responsibility thrust on him would make much of a difference mentality wise. I assume when he hits about 15/16 he'll start to realize just what kind of pickle he put himself in.

Well at the very least their parents will help, actually it's not that bad. Teenagers these days a a lot smarter when we were at 13 (i.e. 10 years ago), also in 19th century it was completely normal to get married and start a family at 14-16, so it's for the better. It's much worse if they were like in thier 20s renting an appartement somewhewre without a job (as a result of the crisis) and so on. Obviously this whole thing won't be easy, but interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Last night Michaela Aston, of the anti-abortion Christian charity LIFE, said: ?We commend these teenagers for their courage in bringing their child into the world.

Thank you, the religous right, for helping the world turn into Idiocracy one small step at a time. I commend you- *gets beaten up for talking like a fag*

according to the wikipedia, it actually does sound like the sex education in blimey is pretty worthless; education about the biology but not so much the sex in sex education.

Switching tones: yeah, that kid's pretty much done his life now. Hope you had a good 13 years, kiddo, because it's all over now.

Thank you, the religous right, for helping the world turn into Idiocracy one small step at a time. I commend you- *gets beaten up for talking like a fag*

according to the wikipedia, it actually does sound like the sex education in blimey is pretty worthless; education about the biology but not so much the sex in sex education.

Switching tones: yeah, that kid's pretty much done his life now. Hope you had a good 13 years, kiddo, because it's all over now.

What do you mean all over? Ask your parents, they'll tell you that having the small baby was one of the best periods of their life.Obviously that they had to do away with certain activities, had less or none free time between home and work, but that's ultimately for the better.

Teenagers are not having sex because they are rebelloius, they are having sex because they are horny and no seminar, lecture or abstinence "ring crusade" is going to change that. They only way you could slightly fix this trend is to remove certain material from easy public access, but that's alsmot impossible and probably won't make much of the difference. We've actually had such seminar in school i think in 8th grade, i.e when i was 14 and it was a very simple lecture where they talked about biological dangers of young-age birth, agitated condom use and that's pretty much it, never had anyone told us that our lives will be ruined, that we have to restrain ourselves or wait until marriage and such bullshit.

BTW as i am reading all those articles i get so jealouse, back in high school we (i didn't) haven't had that "sex drive" that appears to be going on now, not only they are having probably 10x times more sex than I had in that period, they are getting their crazy our of their systems early, so at age 20 they can concentrate on important stuff.

Last edited:
Certain material being pretty much any "pop" culture these days. Our society practically revolves around sex, and then we wonder why kids have so much sex?