Autoblog: BREAKING: GM disbands High Performance Vehicle Operations

What's the over/under?

Seems to be floating at about 8 9.25 months.

There's a separate pool for "in the event of a terrorist attack on the CONUS, how long until we get told this" - that one's o/u is at eight about six *days*.

Edit: Went and looked at the spreadsheet again, got the numbers wrong.

Last edited:
Wow Edmunds, car and driver, and some obscure magazine like it, it must be good!!!! :rolleyes:

I have driven one and it isn't 1/2 the car the mazdaspeed 3 is, I don't care if it's a whopping .2 seconds faster in the 1/4. It's boring looking and has a cheap interior with fake racing bits on it. It's no different than the SRT neon, cheap ugly car that torque steers everywhere. It's better than the supercharged version but it's still not nearly the level of a mazdaspeed 3. And have you even driven one or are you blindly defending using the opinion of somebody else?

Like I said the only "loss" is the CTS-V, and it's not really that big of a loss.

Stop trolling. For the most part EVO liked it (though it wasn't hardcore enough for them as a track car):

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/227505/cadillac_ctsv.html

And even Jeremy Clarkson proclaimed "You'd be mad to buy anything else".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article4920262.ece

Anyhow back on topic. I still see Holdens coming over, and Corvette's being made. We just won't get Cobolt SS and the like. I can live with that. The seventh generation Corvette has been put on hold, but the C6 can manage a few years still (considering that everyone is is putting their sports cars on hold).

Ford doesn't have a performance division any more. They disbanded SVT a while back. Thanks, Elena Ford.

They do still have Ford Racing, but that's not the same thing, really.

Stop trolling. For the most part EVO liked it (though it wasn't hardcore enough for them as a track car):

Anyhow back on topic. I still see Holdens coming over, and Corvette's being made. We just won't get Cobolt SS and the like. I can live with that. The seventh generation Corvette has been put on hold, but the C6 can manage a few years still (considering that everyone is is putting their sports cars on hold).

So you haven't driven it either and your view of the car is based on what people tell you to think?

Shame the car couldn't make money of magazine racers.

He was talking about the Cobalt SS for the majority of his post, not the CTS-V.

Ford doesn't have a performance division any more. They disbanded SVT a while back. Thanks, Elena Ford.

I can think of 3 vehicles that proves you're wrong. 4 if the Svt Fusion actually goes through...

SVT Raptor (touted as the triumphant return of SVT as a inhouse tuner)

GT500 (Now with more Svt and less of that greedy asshole shelby)

And the 2010 SHO Taurus...

Oh well, the sts-v isn't that cool,

It's due to be replace soon, anyways

the cobalt SS is garbage

The only thing I've read about it is that it's interior is low rent...everything else about it is praised to no end. It's considered one of, if not THE best fun-to-drive bang for your buck by pretty much every car mag.

the whole HHR range is rubbish,

Wouldn't mind trying out an HHR panel-side SS. :p Wouldn't buy it, but I'd love to drive one around.

and the v8 Colorado is a rather pointless model especially with the other truck options.

Yeah...pretty much.

The only "loss" seems to be the CTS-V, which really isn't that great.

says who?

Wow Edmunds, car and driver, and some obscure magazine like it, it must be good!!!! :rolleyes:

Not to mention Automobile, Motor Trend, Road & Track...

March '09 Motor Trend: It's got some bitchin stats. In their comparison between the Cobalt Ss, the Mazdaspeed 3, the Subaru WRX, and the VW GTI, it was fasted around their course (also beating the previously tested Civic Si), shortest 45mph-65mph time, highest G on the skidpad, and best time in the figure 8 test (also beating the Caliber SRT4). it holds their FWDlap record at the Nurburgring, and beat a Evo MR around Laguna Seca. Limited slip dif, Brembo brakes, only recomments premuim furl, but can run on the others, can get 30mpg hwy.

I think every magazine of the big 4 (C&D, R&T, MT, and Automobile) have either crowned it one of, if not THE best-in-class, or winner overall when you factor price into it.

Don't get me wrong, the interior is so bad I'd never consider it, and I've always thought it was ugly...but I respect it.

Last edited:
I can think of 3 vehicles that proves you're wrong. 4 if the Svt Fusion actually goes through...

SVT Raptor - not out yet, may never come out. The race truck doesn't count.

GT500 - some inhouse, but still a Shelby, not an SVT. Accounts of who did what engineering are definitely conflicting.

2010 SHO - not out yet.

So, basically, all but one of your "proof" vehicles doesn't exist yet. And the rumor *I'd* heard was that it was Roush doing the development, not a reconstituted SVT.

Last edited:

They were out, though...I remember reading that. In fact, the line I remember reading was about how they were downplaying the SVT logos on the Shelby Mustangs, and would slowly replace them with Cobra logos as the model years progressed.

He was talking about the Cobalt SS for the majority of his post, not the CTS-V.

Hah I didn't even click the links, I just assumed they were about the cobalt.

I can't say anything bad about the CTS-V because I haven't driven it, I have driven the old one and it wasn't that great but it was still a decent car. From what it seems this new one is much better. Suppose to be fairly nice weather coming up here maybe I will have to go test one. The CTS-V is the only one I called a "loss" anyways.

says who?

I didn't mean it to sound like the CTS-V sucks, but it's not exactly keeping GM floating so IMO it's not a huge loss right now. The corvette (and future development of the LS engine) would be a lot worse for the automotive world. Guess everybody will just have to go back to the germans.

The only thing I've read about it is that it's interior is low rent...everything else about it is praised to no end. It's considered one of, if not THE best fun-to-drive bang for your buck by pretty much every car mag.

Magazines said the same thing about the SRT4 neon, another car I didn't like. Both stock and the "mopar stage 4" versions were just lacking. Cheap looking boring car with a good engine (I will give it that) and a few bits of performance IMO doesn't make a good car.

So you haven't driven it either and your view of the car is based on what people tell you to think?

No, but when every reputable reviewer is singing its praise I tend to trust them. Its feat on the Nurburgring also lends credence to its worth. I haven't driven a Veyron but I bet it is fast in the straits and luxurious inside.

Hah I didn't even click the links, I just assumed they were about the cobalt.

I can't say anything bad about the CTS-V because I haven't driven it, I have driven the old one and it wasn't that great but it was still a decent car. From what it seems this new one is much better. Suppose to be fairly nice weather coming up here maybe I will have to go test one. The CTS-V is the only one I called a "loss" anyways.

I didn't mean it to sound like the CTS-V sucks, but it's not exactly keeping GM floating so IMO it's not a huge loss right now. The corvette (and future development of the LS engine) would be a lot worse for the automotive world. Guess everybody will just have to go back to the germans.

Magazines said the same thing about the SRT4 neon, another car I didn't like. Both stock and the "mopar stage 4" versions were just lacking. Cheap looking boring car with a good engine (I will give it that) and a few bits of performance IMO doesn't make a good car.

OK I must have miss read you as I thought you were complaining about the CTS-V.

Detroit is dying. I am going to write an official pre-news piece.

"Detroit, America's automobile industry, died today at 109. The cause of its tragic death was a combination of many diseases, including the Quality-Satisfaction bug of the 1980s, cancer of the "fun" organ, interminable destruction of the "reliability" cells in its brain, and the UAW virus, which doctors say completely finished it off. After a sucessful and happy 65 years in business, Detroit began to experience health problems and retired from the quality department. Although it made a comeback after 25 years of illness, it never fully recovered.

There will be a candlelight vigil for detroit in detroit on tuesday. Mourners are encouraged to bring flowers, small gifts, and cheques for the UAW funeral costs."

No, that wasn't SVT. That may have been something called SVT, but SVT died when Colletti retired, and the rest of the team split up. The non-Colletti SVT has produced bupkis to date in terms of production cars.

This was the end of SVT: http://www.stangbangers.com/News_SVT.htm

Ford lost the plot - the SVT cars were supposed to be special and SVT allocations were used to keep dealers in line. Basically, only the best dealers could carry SVT. Now it's just a sticker.

Last edited:
If they made money off fanboys like you instead, they wouldn't need a bailout.

Apparently GM has discovered that there *is* a limit as to how much Nascar memorabilia that idiots will buy. Including cars.

:D

As much as I hate this...they are going the Toyota route, nothing fun or exciting but actually selling.

As much as I hate this...they are going the Toyota route, nothing fun or exciting but actually selling.

Except aside from the high performance stuff, they have nothing that's selling. :p

Seriously, at this point GM could rebadge a Camry, offer it for $5K less - and nobody would buy it. Which, if you know the US car market, is impressive.

Last edited: