Sarcasm - a sign of strength or weakness?

Sarcasm - a sign of strength or weakness?

• Total voters

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
I'm sure we've heard both statements, but which do you think is true?

I, for example, am a very sarcastic person. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble.

Let's not discuss internet sarcasm, because we know it's non-existent :D

Like I'm going to tell you. :rolleyes:

/get the obvious out of the way

Sarcsam means I don't have to put up with your shit.

True story.

Sarcasm is mostly a sign of being sarcastic, duh.

Sarcasm is mostly a sign of being sarcastic, duh.

Tell me Mr. Holmes, just how do you do it?:p

I don't really see sarcasm as a sign of weakness, it's a tool of communication and a form of humour. I don't see how it could be anything else.

Last edited:
How could it be a sign of strength?

I know some people that are sarcastic by nature, and I know some people who I know are sarcastic because they are not really that self-confident and use it to cover up that fact.

So it could be a sign of weakness or not, but a sign of strength?

Shawn, I agree that it could be a sing of weakness because people are less confident and try to cover it up.

But it can be argued that sarcasm is a sign of intellectual strength. It's like a brain excercise, I guess. And following your point, it can be used to boost self-confidence in one's own abilities, by intimidating people who don't have an understanding of sarcasm.

How is that for an argument though - what do you all think about people who do not understand sarcasm? Are they less intelligent?

Like I need to reply to this thread, anyway.

^ 10 out of 10 for observation, Einstein.
Sorry, I've always wanted to say that. My old Chemistry teacher used to all the time, and she was Scottish so it was even more hilarious.

Well......being a very sarcastic person (and a huge fan of black comedy) myself I think the following:

Shawn said:
I know some people that are sarcastic by nature, and I know some people who I know are sarcastic because they are not really that self-confident and use it to cover up that fact.

So it could be a sign of weakness or not, but a sign of strength?

Good point.

_HighVoltage_ said:
But it can be argued that sarcasm is a sign of intellectual strength. It's like a brain excercise, I guess. And following your point, it can be used to boost self-confidence in one's own abilities, by intimidating people who don't have an understanding of sarcasm.

Good point.

Nereid said:
I don't really see sarcasm as a sign of weakness, it's a tool of communication and a form of humour. I don't see how it could be anything else.

/Thread.

_HighVoltage_ said:
How is that for an argument though - what do you all think about people who do not understand sarcasm? Are they less intelligent?

Well....I would actually have to say yes, but to a certain extent. Like you said yourself it is a sign of intellectual strenght and while I don't consider someone who doesn't understand sarcasm stupid per se, I do consider them not being that clever/smart. And when I say that I don't mean they are not civilised, or booksmart. You can have a Ph.D. for all I care but that doesn't mean that you are actually clever and witty.

Exactly why I consider Gregory House to be one of my great idols, even if he is a fictional character and I have been compared to him by my friends frequently. I take it as a compliment :mrgreen:

Yes.

And as far as I've ever noticed the most sarcastic people in my life tend to be the smartest and usually the funnest. People who don't understand sarcasm usually don't last around me all that long as well. Somehow they fade away...

^ 10 out of 10 for observation, Einstein.
Sorry, I've always wanted to say that. My old Chemistry teacher used to all the time, and she was Scottish so it was even more hilarious.

Oh, great comeback! Think of that one by yourself?!

I'm known for being a very sarcastic person. I think it's just a form of humour, and not a sign of me being a strong or weak person. People do think of me as a bitch sometimes, but they clearly don't get the fact that I don't mean those things, it's just my humour.

Exactly why I consider Gregory House to be one of my great idols, even if he is a fictional character and I have been compared to him by my friends frequently. I take it as a compliment :mrgreen:

Feel the same way... love dark comedy and sarcasm. And "House".

I can see how it can be a sign of weakness - in my early teens I used sarcasm like a crutch to make up for my lack of individuality and/or sense of humour.

A few years later I discovered wordplay, and learnt that a good pun is its own reword, and so am a bit less sarcastic. Still love the stuff though.

Oh, and sarcasm as a sign of weakness?

"Sarcasm is what Britain has instead of revolutions*". And look where we are now...

*The original quote says 'satire', but hey.

I wouldn't necessarily say less intelligent so much as less aware of the background behind the sarcastic comment. Now this could mean less intelligent if the background is something they should know but it depends on the situation. For example if I made a comment about so and so being such a smart guy you wouldn't know if I was being sarcastic or not unless you knew the person I was referring to. Or knew me well enough to pick up on the way I said it. Although being a somewhat sarcastic person I think the best sarcasm is spoken with a straight face and without any change in your voice.

I don't really see sarcasm as a sign of weakness, it's a tool of communication and a form of humour.

I think this sums it up quite nicely though.

Last edited:
I just thought of something: reagarding the point if sarcasm can be seen as a weakness.....I don't know about weakness, but I can see why many people might see it as some kind of bitterness and hatred towards pretty much everything, especially if you are actually good with sarcastic comments and in general a clever verbal athlete; exactly for the reason yeeha just gave: you should have a straight face when throwing around sarcastic and sharp comments, so that less clever people, if you allow the expression, don't actually know if you are being serious or not. This also leads very often to people thinking you are somewhat of an asshole with an ego way too big for your own good. Unless these things are true, I don't think you can claim to be actually sarcastic by nature. And truly being a sarcastic asshole is not the same thing as throwing a spiteful joke here and there.

Furthermore it is interesting to see that most of the posters here so far claim to be very sarcastic people and I don't also buy that because being a smartass on a discussion forum is not the same thing as being clever in real life. I never considered myself to be hateful/sarcastic/whatever until couple of my friends pointed it out to me a few years back.

Of course this also could mean that spending as much time on these kinds of forums and internet in general as most of us do, tends to make everyone a bit bitter and sarcastic due to the sheer amount of crap floating around the net, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt which develops to being very immune to even some fairly serious stuff and we (I say we because I am one of these people) tend to make fun and wiseass remarks about even serious things.

I'm not sure if I am just talking out of my ass, but I may be on to something here, because I have noticed this with the people I hang around with, including both family and friends, that those that have a more rich and variable social life tend to be more blue eyed and in general light headed, meaning they tend to stress about smaller things a lot more than I do and are also more gullible.

And this brings on an interesting argument: these days it is very fashionable to say that internet and computers are making people increasingly stupid day by day. However if we (so far at least) agree that sarcasm and other similar ways of stating one's opinions are a sign of being smart and clever, in a certain way....then does that mean that internet can and does make you smarter, in some ways at least ?

I'm not saying internet is making the population altogether smarter but it is very intruiging that the vast majority of active posters on discussion forums tend to be more aware of today's world and what's going on globally, not just their school compared to your average teen or 20-something year old who spend most of their time hanging out with their friends, getting hammered, shopping or doing something else other than spending tme on the web. Or if I am being accurate about this, discussion forums tend to make people smarter, not neccessarily internet itself.

Hmmm.....interesting, I'm gonna have to give this some more thought.

^ Jeez, type enough out there, Tolstoy?

(This is fun! I'm sorry if it gets annoying. Oh wait, like I care what you lot think. :p)