Random Thoughts (Top gear Edition)

Isn't it the other way round, that the wheelbase is so short /overhang so long to allow it to negotiate tight turns?

Think about it. If you have a short wheelbase and a long overhang, when you turn the wheel, that whole hanging length has to swing around the turning point (the axle). You're gonna end up making a giant arc with the front end of the bus.

At least thats the way I see it. But who knows, buses for all we know might not follow the laws of physics.

Last edited:
Yes of course the overhang needs a certain space to do the turn, but if the axles were right at the front and rear you'd need a far bigger turning circle to get around a corner, because you could only start to turn once the rear axle is past the corner, or else you'd scrape it.

Was just rewatching the episode with the M5 Estate, and the E63 AMG Estate, and I noticed this.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2009/02/24/vlcsnap-9422179.jpg

Isn't that front overhang on the bus a bit long for narrow England streets and tight turns?

It's one of those fancy new buses they have in Manchester that can get you to work at 8.00 even if you wake up at midday. They're called quantum buses and look that way because they are bending space/time. Fare's a bit steep 'though but it's still better than losing your job for oversleeping.

Its the TARDIB - Time and Relative Dimensions In a Bus

Seriously, could it be an issue of optical distortion from the camera lens due to perspective or somesuch?

Its the TARDIB - Time and Relative Dimensions In a Bus

Seriously, could it be an issue of optical distortion from the camera lens due to perspective or somesuch?

Or maybe the bus just spotted a black Brera with tan leather and is nursing a bussy semi?

Think about it. If you have a short wheelbase and a long overhang, when you turn the wheel, that whole hanging length has to swing around the turning point (the axle). You're gonna end up making a giant arc with the front end of the bus.

At least thats the way I see it. But who knows, buses for all we know might not follow the laws of physics.

The shorter the wheelbase the tighter the turn.
Just think of small car's turning circle vs a bigger car's....

And the bigger the overhang, the bigger the whack it delivers when it hits something. This is why I cringe every time I see, say, a Lincoln Town Car from the 80s try to turn a tight corner.

That bus picture is an optical illusion from the lens. They're not that long, and our streets are that narrow. The buses go past my office all day so I have a fairly good idea. the front overhand is about 3-4 feet I think for the door.

Just look at the wheels, they're the wrong shape. :D

Didn't think this needed it's own thread, so I'll just ask it here. Was surfing on the Internet today and found pictures of Richards beautiful house on the website of the Daily Mail. It said that he had bought a new house and that it had cost 2 million pound. I thought: 'Well, good for him! He has worked hard, so why not? If I had the money I would buy a lovely house too.' , but all the comments on the article were hate-comments. Something that British citizens pay tv-tax which pays the presenters of the BBC, and that it was ridiculous that he bought such an expensive house and so on. I don't get it (seen the fact that I'm Dutch :angel:). What's up with that, could somebody please explain? :)

Didn't think this needed it's own thread, so I'll just ask it here. Was surfing on the Internet today and found pictures of Richards beautiful house on the website of the Daily Mail. It said that he had bought a new house and that it had cost 2 million pound. I thought: 'Well, good for him! He has worked hard, so why not? If I had the money I would buy a lovely house too.' , but all the comments on the article were hate-comments. Something that British citizens pay tv-tax which pays the presenters of the BBC, and that it was ridiculous that he bought such an expensive house and so on. I don't get it (seen the fact that I'm Dutch :angel:). What's up with that, could somebody please explain? :)

The clue is in bold. Not sure if you have a Dutch equivalent, but the Daily Fail exists so uptight Middle England has something to complain and/or feel superior about. Their main obsessions include immigration, crime rates, sex offenders and the death of Princess Diana. If you ever meet a Daily Fail reader and want to see a confused look spread across their face simply ask if they've heard the news that Albanian immigrants are the natural predators of paedophiles. Works every time.;)

When I leave High School i am so making my own version. I don't even care if it sucks. And like JC said in a recent interview "we could just use used cars". Why shouldn't I? Since I am taking a year off before college anyway.

Perfect... TG Russia will go through May... then TG AUS should kick in, which will go through June+, meanwhile TG UK will come back in June. No more Top Gear-lessness for a while!

TG Russia should be hilarious.
And I'm still not suffering from withdrawal, so I'm just humming along to June. I'll get desperate about three weeks before the return.

^^
Me too. Believe it or not, I can't wait for TGA S2 to see if what have they improved and whether Morrison was a good "James" replacement.

^ Same about TGA, I tried to get into the studio audience for this season, but you have to be over 18- that kid with the pink hair in the 1st ever ep didn't look 18!
When did that happen? Less than a year away, dammit!

^ Same about TGA, I tried to get into the studio audience for this season, but you have to be over 18- that kid with the pink hair in the 1st ever ep didn't look 18!
When did that happen? Less than a year away, dammit!

Just lie, I mean, it's not like they check your Id at the gate?

Just lie, I mean, it's not like they check your Id at the gate?

umm... yeah, they do. you have to have id to show on request or they kick you out :(

At the beginning of the Avant-time challenge (where JC arrived smoking tires and such), was JC using his wife's V8 vantage or was it a press car?

For the studio audience thing: Buy a fake id