The "Pet-Peeve/Stuff I can't stand/hate" Thread

Koenig

I was on the bus today with a friend, and watched a young man in his 20s seated in the priority seating area not offer his seat to an elderly lady carrying a whole bunch of stuff, and several stops later, did the same thing to a very pregnant woman who also had several large bags.
When the bus started moving, the pregnant lady started looking around for a seat for a little bit, (all the rest of the priority seats were taken by seniors) until finally, the elderly woman from before (who eventually got a seat) got up and offered her seat to the pregnant lady, who declined.

After my friend and I got off the bus, we started talking about how it was even possible that dude didn't realize that everyone on the bus was giving him the look of contempt. This eventually led to us talking about the things currently in society that we just could not stand.

My list in no particular order:

- Manners in a general sense. It seems as if most of the people below the age of 25 these days have no manners whatsoever. Some examples:

- People who don't even make an attempt to try to hold the door open for the next person
- People who accidentally bump into you yet say nothing
- People on the bus that don't offer their seats to the elderly/pregnant/disabled etc.
- People that speak far to loudly on their cellphones in public
- People that play music from their phones through the loudspeaker in public
- People that cut in line or speak to someone your already speaking to

For some more general "stuff I can't stand"

- Someone beside me in a confined area that reeks of cigarettes
- The entire "popped-collar-polo-shirt-3-sizes-too-small-tight-jeans-look" which also usually includes a fauhawk, aviators clipped onto the shirt, and Puma "driving" shoes (usually a Ferrari logo is on there somewhere)
- Posers: these come in a lot of flavors
- People who think the world revolves around them
- Bus drivers that drive away from a stop even though they can clearly see someone with several bags of groceries running for the bus
- People in authoritative positions going on power trips (http://forums.finalgear.com/politic...police-harassment-with-parking-tickets-34144/)
- People that litter
- Getting an itch on the arch of your foot, but you're in a public place so you can take your shoe off and scratch it
- People that seriously lack the basic driving skills that are on the road
- People that drive like maniacs with their hair on fire (Do you really have to overtake everybody on the road?)
- Overpriced cafeteria food
- When the person in front of me in the stir-fry line at the cafeteria gets a portion that's at least 50% bigger than what I got
- Females in yoga (lululemon) pants that seriously do not belong in said pants
- Those group members that you got for that group project, that you just know are not going to contribute anything to the actual project, and expect you to do all the work
- People, that when they start talking, just want to make you facepalm
- Being transferred from department to department for an hour and a half when you want to cancel your cellphone plan over the phone
- Kids that are spoiled rotten
- Parents that let their kids push them around with no discipline whatsoever. Case in point: I was at a dinner party with my parents at their friend's place, and the daughter of two of the other guests told the hostess (to her face) that her food sucked and to make something else for her to eat. If I were her parents, I would've smacked her silly.
- Parents to continue to feed their massively obese children junk food (you see this so much, and it's so sad)

I could probably think of a lot more, but that's for another time. Use this thread to post and rant about random shit that you just can't stand!

While I generally agree with a lot of stuff on your list, one of the things I find most annoying is the bus situation you wrote about. The point being: So there was a whole bus full of people all looking in contempt at the guy in the priority seat, yet none of them (including you) got up. Now don?t take this personal, and I realise that you may have been at the very back of the bus nice and far away, but the point is that what I really hate is this: People complaining about the one person with no manners, which you will always have in a large enough group of people, rather than focussing on the actual situation. So nobody ever taught the guy any manners, his loss. But focusing on flaws of other people rather than thinking about what you can actually do is what causes pretty much every single problem on your list.

- Bus drivers that drive away from a stop even though they can clearly see someone with several bags of groceries running for the bus

I laugh like a c*** when that happens.

Rule number 1: Never run for a bus.

While I generally agree with a lot of stuff on your list, one of the things I find most annoying is the bus situation you wrote about. The point being: So there was a whole bus full of people all looking in contempt at the guy in the priority seat, yet none of them (including you) got up. Now don?t take this personal, and I realise that you may have been at the very back of the bus nice and far away, but the point is that what I really hate is this: People complaining about the one person with no manners, which you will always have in a large enough group of people, rather than focussing on the actual situation. So nobody ever taught the guy any manners, his loss. But focusing on flaws of other people rather than thinking about what you can actually do is what causes pretty much every single problem on your list.

See, I get where you're coming from, and I agree I probably should have done something. But I think most people have a fear of confrontation. What if that guy was an asshole who really didn't give a shit? Nobody can physically force him to vacate his seat (well...maybe the bus driver), or he could go off the deep end and start a huge commotion which may or may not lead to violence (there are people like this in the world). Few people want to take that risk, and I'm one of them.

And I can't believe I didn't search for that thread. Oh wells.

People who walk too slowly

People who walk too slowly

Especially when they are crossing a road (where they shouldn't be walking). At least when I do that, I kinda hurry it up a bit.

Also, people that are walking and suddenly stop, oblivious to the fact that people are walking behind them.

And when working as a cashier, people that are on cellphones and can't even bother to say "hello" or "thanks"....sometimes they aren't even on cellphones and just couldn't be bothered.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ All of those aforementioned!

Also, as per never running for a bus, in Americaland we have school buses and I've had to run to get to the bus stop because the bus has just pulled up and the bus drivers never stop for you if you miss it.

Well I guess this thread is staying open then?

Well here is what I hate:

-The under 25 crowd (ya I am in it but I can't stand the dicks who don't hold doors etc.)
-The guys with popped colars and the girls who date them?
-People with clothes that are WAY too baggy and sideways hats...gansta yo.
-People that thank you for the advice you gave them and say "Thanks someone needed to tell me the truth instead of lying about it" and then the next day goes and does exactly what you said not to. Then weeks later tells you that your truth telling and honesty is a personality fault.
-Annoying roomates who don't have a real social life and don't leave the room reading emotional forums all day and NEVER GOING OUT...I WANT ALONE TIME.
-Roomates who decide to get in touch with HR about you without even addressing the said issue.

O...and the busses here around the uni wait for the people running...really nice of them actually.

Especially when they are crossing a road (where they shouldn't be walking). At least when I do that, I kinda hurry it up a bit.

Also, people that are walking and suddenly stop, oblivious to the fact that people are walking behind them.

And when working as a cashier, people that are on cellphones and can't even bother to say "hello" or "thanks"....sometimes they aren't even on cellphones and just couldn't be bothered.

I have the music from the hitman series on my phone, it's very tempting to re-enact using fibrewire when it's playing and i'm behind slow moving people :p

^I run on those just to feel like I'm running super fast.

I hate it when people on internet forums feel they have to be rude with a post they don't agree with. It's okay to disagree, but don't be disrepectful either.

Dessert forks, I just don't like them, they're too small. I get mad if someone puts one in the bin with the regular forks.

- impatience.

- People who can't face reality and choose to lie about everything instead. Basically, "Oh no, you're not fat, he's a nice guy, and I'm really going to go through with [insert thing here] this time." While what they really mean is, "You should lose some weight, that guy's a douche, and I lie to myself to make me feel better."

- People who are too easily offended. Ties in with above. Well I say grow a pair. ("But I'm a girl." To which the only response is, "Grow a pair!")

- People who don't consider other people. It's everywhere, driving happens to be a good example since it's in person yet detached from personal contact. People cut other people off, and do other things, and just don't care. But when someone else does something, "Heyyyy, fawk yoo! Whaddaya doin!"

- When you have that word on the tip of your tongue and forget it and can't say what you're going to say because that was the perfect word to use but you can't remember what it was. *skip to a day later* Oh shi- That's what I was going to say.

- Water chestnuts. THEY TASTE LIKE WATER. I don't want to eat crunchy water, what the hell, get out of my mouth.

- Hip things. I prefer to live in my own bubble, screw your trends - it's my money, I do what I want.

- People who think that because some guy/girl told them they looked nice/looked at them more than once in a minute, they are getting hit on and have to start a panic.
- Hypocrites
- People who can't dance/sing at all, but persist in doing so right near you, even when you ask them to stop (especially the singing)
- people who expect you to do all the work on something then take all the credit for you
- people who try to do your job because "they know better" but then have to get you to hold their hand whilst they do everything.
- teachers who say, "I know you are busy in other subjects" then pile on the work 5 minutes later
- when you say that you like somebody (i.e. want to date them), then go, "oh, actually, I think he's had a crush on me for a while. I don't think he would like you"
- people who whinge about being ignored by someone for doing something wrong but refuse to address the situation/apologise.
- hoons. seriously, stop making my life a misery on the roads
- people who think that tailgating you/acting like a general arse behind you on the roads is going to make everything better and get them to work more than a few seconds quicker

think that's it :D

Ballpoint pens.

Cashiers who cannot figure out when you give them bills that amount to more than the total cost, plus coins in the amount of the cents in order to allow you to get just bills back, that then proceed to shortchange you $1 because they aren't smart enough to understand the concept- $6.42 due, paid with a $10 and 42?, you're due $4 but get $3.

Not being able to remember the alt code for the cent sign.

People on bikes who think they do not have to obey street signs because they aren't in a car. One of these days I'll just run over them instead of swerving. And legally it will be their fault.

Canker sores.

Always pulling up next to someone who wants to drag race me while I'm driving my Mustang, but never in my Grand Prix.

People who cannot accept the possibility of them being wrong on any issue whatsoever.

Bottled Vanilla Coke only being available in one store in this town.

Traffic lights that change to red just before I get there, but there being no cars on the perpendicular road at all.