Old vs New

Craptastic ;(

It got worse.

pic-2296.jpeg

Yes, that is fake wood on it. From the factory.

Erm, no, not really. *That* guy had a good one, but most of the rest were garbage. They sold millions of them here in the US and I haven't seen one in years outside a junkyard. What he doesn't mention is that the only things that WOULD work in the thing were the powertrain and the base electrics. Air conditioning in them rarely worked, the ancilliary electrics were terrible and they not only had the interior fall apart in record time but they also had the bottoms rust out... in Arizona.

You may want to look at some of the recalls: http://www.automotix.net/autorepair/recalls/chevrolet-chevette/

You do still see the competing models trundling about, though. In fact, I see more first or second year Hyundai Excels than I do Chevettes.

Last edited:
That's the problem with GM North America: the T-Platform, as it was called, was genius, basically an update of the dead simple early-sixties Opel Kadett B platform... they sold over two million Opel Kadetts and Vauxhall Chevettes, all of them reliable, fun cars. The GT/E coup? even won some rallyes... BUT GM europe discontinued the T-Platform in the late 70s, making limited numebers for RWD enthusiasts until i think 1982, cause it time simply had run... GM North America did no such thing for another five years....

Audi Avants (ie A4/A6) are more plentiful than the BMWs, although I have ridden in a 325i wagon and own a 330i and can attest to how much fun they are to drive. Realistically though, with a daily driver mindset, I'd go for a late 90's LS400 or older LS430. These cars are bullet proof and will outlast the sun. My friend's dad has an '03 with 146k on it and it still starts without hesitation and runs smoothly; the only way you can tell how use the car is is by looking at the interior as he doesn't really clean it and lets his dogs in the car, etc. Honestly, I'd buy one with 50k+ on the clock without hesitation. Granted, they aren't the most fun cars in the world, but for a daily driver, they can't be beat.

Hmm, modern reliability, ease of maintenance, decent aftermarket, big enough to lug all your stuff around in ...
1995caprice.jpg

OR get a mid-to-late 80s Chevy Chevette. I have never driven one, but it's the same Chassis as my car, which i love ;)

I've considered some of the newer VW's, older ones just don't do it for me.

The Chevette is out on account that the US versions are extremely hard to find, all have crap engines, and most importantly last time I was in one I was an infant and I got thrown out of the car in an accident while in the back seat.

Audi Avants (ie A4/A6) are more plentiful than the BMWs, although I have ridden in a 325i wagon and own a 330i and can attest to how much fun they are to drive. Realistically though, with a daily driver mindset, I'd go for a late 90's LS400 or older LS430. These cars are bullet proof and will outlast the sun. My friend's dad has an '03 with 146k on it and it still starts without hesitation and runs smoothly; the only way you can tell how use the car is is by looking at the interior as he doesn't really clean it and lets his dogs in the car, etc. Honestly, I'd buy one with 50k+ on the clock without hesitation. Granted, they aren't the most fun cars in the world, but for a daily driver, they can't be beat.

Lexus is semi-high on the list, but I want something that I won't look at the Santa Monica mountains as "ugh the long way home" but "ohhh sweet!." A modified GS300 or IS300 will do that, LS400 won't.

I've considered Audi's. Their engine bays always seem a bit cramped, especially with anything involving a V'd engine.

tigger said:

I like they are available in wagons, but I want something I actually like being inside, and a 90's American car just doesn't have it. I spend too many hours driving to not like what I'm looking at and touching. Plus the chassis kind of fits into the "if I see the mountain rode route I'll not want to take it as the car won't handle for shit."

just so i know what i should be thinking of here...

Fun car
Easy for DIY maintanence
1996+
modability but not somthing where you are easily gonna sink tons of money
manual transmission??!?!

based off that list i am thinking mostly american muscle. They will have DIY maintanence covered manual tranmissions and with proper application of monies can be made to go round bends... what about a 200 -2002 firebird? IRS easy to work on V8... stick shift... 15Kish...

also throwing out the mazdaspeed protege... easy to work on fun as fuck to drive and at around 7-8K cheap as a mother fucker for a 2003-2004

Last edited:
I know it's a college car, but how about an old civic coupe, they are pretty much bullet proof and have a lot of aftermarket stuff for tuning.... ?

just so i know what i should be thinking of here...

Fun car
Easy for DIY maintanence
1996+
modability but not somthing where you are easily gonna sink tons of money
manual transmission??!?!

based off that list i am thinking mostly american muscle. They will have DIY maintanence covered manual tranmissions and with proper application of monies can be made to go round bends... what about a 200 -2002 firebird? IRS easy to work on V8... stick shift... 15Kish...

also throwing out the mazdaspeed protege... easy to work on fun as fuck to drive and at around 7-8K cheap as a mother fucker for a 2003-2004

Firebird is a stick axle but thats not my complaint on it. The interior quality and lack of storage capacity kills it for me.

The Protege has been on and off my list. Though I think I'll end up going more toward the protege5 as it's a hatch.

I know it's a college car, but how about an old civic coupe, they are pretty much bullet proof and have a lot of aftermarket stuff for tuning.... ?

It's not that it's a "college car" (which in the US it really ain't), I just don't want a Honda. I briefly looked at the 03+ SI since those are hatchbacks but for the money there are much nicer cars.

Forester XT if you are looking for fun in a hatchback (2004-2005 for ultimate sti conversion win)

I don't know if you are interested in these, but how about a Dodge Magnum? You can get an R/T (340hp) with low miles for about $15K or less.

Firebird is a stick axle but thats not my complaint on it. The interior quality and lack of storage capacity kills it for me.

The Protege has been on and off my list. Though I think I'll end up going more toward the protege5 as it's a hatch..

S14 240SX?

only problem with 240SX is drifter tax in both price and also the joy of trying to find one that has not been beaten to within and inch of it's life

Older 7-series are nothing but money pits.

Just ask anyone on this forum that owns one (there are a few).

How about an '08 Scion tC with 32k miles for 10 grand? I really want the '71 Z28 down the street, and I'll need something if my car goes and gets sold.

Last edited:
Get a Volvo 740, and just yank a Turbo off a Peterbilt or something, it'll handle it.