See how many UK terms you can translate to USA english in 5 mins.

39/45, but some of the terms I put in, (eg gumboots) got converted to the right answer for some reason....

feels like i cheated now :(

I only got 16. Then again I am neither english nor american.

37/45.

33/45, though I feel a bit cheated by this...

How can a dinner jacket be a tuxedo? And a closet isn't a piece of furniture; if it was it would, in American, be called a wardrobe just like in British. And I kept putting in "Real Estate Agent" instead Realtor, since both terms are fairly commonly used around the East Coast of the US, at least I think they are... maybe I've been watching too many British shows.

29/45

I do take issue with a couple though. I always thought jam, jelly and preserves were all different things, albeit similar. If the Brits call jelly, jam, what do they call jam?

I am a little afraid to do that. My brain might explode. :lol:

36/45. The ones I missed were:

Pavement/Sidewalk (if only the sidewalks are pavement, what's the bit in between them? :p)
Jelly/Jell-o
Plaster/Band-aid
Draughts/Checkers
Tights/Pantyhose
Braces/Suspenders
Courgette/Zucchini
Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo
Bun/Fairy cake/cupcake (I kept on trying variations of angel food cake for this one. Do you really call cupcakes fairy cake?)

42. Mostly because I can't spell Diaper :p

At least I now know what the hell a zucchini is.

Courgette is French and Zucchini is Italian. UK and US English had different influences when the non native veg was encountered and picked up the different continental words to describe the vegetable.

Courgette is French and Zucchini is Italian. UK and US English had different influences when the non native veg was encountered and picked up the different continental words to describe the vegetable.
Presumably it's the same with Aubergine and Eggplant
(despite the slew of bad comedians who say it's because the colonials couldn't spell aubergine).

Going backwards I knew 38. The ones I missed were Treacle-Molasses, Waistcoat-Vest, Number Plate-License Plate, Wellies-Galoshes, Polo Neck-Turtle Neck, Canteen-Cafeteria and Bun-Cupcake.

26/45. Quite good I think. I haven't ever heard of some of them though, even after they were revealed. But I missed a couple of obvious ones which annoyed me (like Sneakers and Cafeteria).

zucchini.jpg

40/45. :wicked:

Only because of those aubergeehehe and corgetetette things. Forgot to channel my inner Jamie Oliver for those ones.

Last edited: