New VW Polo

Captain-Mid

Click here to see it in Geneva
Click here to see it in... well... some nice? background ;)
And here's some text if you're interested...
I think it looks great, what a car!:) I think it's more desirable than the new Ibiza and nearly every other car in class except from the MiTo and perhaps the Mini (if you go for the Cooper S:D). New engines also sound lovely, 1.2 TFSI with 105hp should give the polo some temper;):p
What do you think?:rolleyes:
[Edit by Quiky]
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/03/03/01-2010-vw-polo-concept.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/03/03/04-2010-vw-polo-concept.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/03/03/20-2010-vw-polo-concept.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the new Polo looks really cool! Thanks for the pics. This could be a very nice successor to my good old Lupo.

The current model Polo was always quite a good looking car (for the market segment at least), this is a nice improvement.

Can't think of any competitors i'd rather tbh.

Last edited:
It's... beautiful. :O

Really, it looks great, way better than the one that's getting replaced now. Even if it's completely inspired by the Golf, overall it looks way nicer than the big brother.

WIN. Really like the look. Better than the Golf and almost as nice as the Scirocco

But :VW, please don't make all your cars completely identical, I like me some different models.

Also, weirdly, the engine that is the smallest has the biggest and smallest output :

petrol
1.2 3 cyl - 60 or 70hp
1.4 4 cyl - 85 hp
1.2 TSI (injection + turbo) - 105 hp

diesel
1.6 TDI 4 cyl - 75 hp
1.6 TDI 4 cyl - 90 or 105 hp

why would anyone buy anything other than the 1.2 TSI or the 105 hp diesel one? Why even bother offering those?

Last edited:
I like it, I only want to change one thing. The steering wheel, putting controls on just one spoke just to differentiate it from it's more expensive brother is no good. Put controls on both spokes and we are in business. Assymetrical cars are for the japanese. I hate assymetrical things. Zhere muzt be order, ja!

Same with the bonnet support. Putting a stick there instead of gas lifters is not OK. Cut that cost somewhere where I can't see it.

Last edited:
Well done VW! If you look at the current Polo and compare it (lookswise) with the current Corsa, the Jazz, Fiesta or even it?s brother the Fabia - the Polo doesn?t fare well. But the new one looks much more promising ... too bad it isn?t out already, Cars in this segment currently fly out of german car-showrooms (goverment wreckage-premium of 2500? for a Car 9 Years+).

petrol
1.2 3 cyl - 60 or 70hp
1.4 4 cyl - 85 hp
1.2 TSI (injection + turbo) - 105 hp

diesel
1.6 TDI 4 cyl - 75 hp
1.6 TDI 4 cyl - 90 or 105 hp

why would anyone buy anything other than the 1.2 TSI or the 105 hp diesel one? Why even bother offering those?
Fuel comsumption, car-tax systems in some countries (like in Germany where it is about to change from ccm to CO2) ... and price as the 1.2 with injection and turbo (or the 105hp Diesel) will cost you more than the less powerful but maybe cc wise bigger engines.

What a great looking little car - so clean & classy. Provides a nice option to the (also great-looking for very different reasons) 2 & Fiesta.

It's definitely an improvement over the last Polo. I actually waited for this since the new Fabia, because I wanted to see what VW could do with their new platform. Well, the new Ibiza is revolting, so VW got their head back where it's supposed to be and created this. It's fantastic!
Although it'll take some time to get used to the rear, it's a bit microvan-ish high.

Well. Errr. Seems almost underwhelming. I've gotten used to the Impact of the Mazda2 and the Fiesta, I suppose..

Fuel comsumption, car-tax systems in some countries (like in Germany where it is about to change from ccm to CO2) ... and price as the 1.2 with injection and turbo (or the 105hp Diesel) will cost you more than the less powerful but maybe cc wise bigger engines.

if they're going to go with CO2 for taxes, the most powerful ones are the best since they are the most frugal.... (or so VW claims...)

so why offer a less powerful, more polluting one? Because it's 1000? cheaper? :?

Am I the only one not liking how this turned out ? Or let me rephrase that: I like the look of the new Polo, I think it looks great, but the song and dance everyone was and is still making over the new Scirocco seems a bit daft because now the Golf and the Polo both look exactly like the Scirocco, thus making it even less special.

The cheer everyone was making for the Scirocco was that it was a GTI with a great body...well....now the GTI has pretty much the same look as the Scirocco so what's the point of the Scirocco again ?

I'm not liking this styling phenomenon that is taking over the car industry: making all the cars in the range look exactly the same. That's why I like Ford very much: There is no confusion between the Ka, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo, they all look different but are also instantly recognisable as Fords.

Audi and Aston have been doing this lately and I used to like Audis a lot, but now they all look the same, the A3, A4 A6 and I'm guessing when the new A8 comes out it will have the same face as the smaller ones. Audi's Q5 is just a joke, it is nothing more than a Q7 at 75%. No really, they are identical. Ridiculous.

I hate BMW's current lineup but atleast their cars differe from each other. Same goes for Volvo, except their cars do look good: C30, S40, V50, C70, V70, S80 are all different and I approve of that.

Now VW are going the same way, just a matter of time when the Passat will also look like that. Fortunately Mercedes still seems to stick to their guns and having different cars in the lineup.

We'll have to see what Fiat and Alfa Romeo do with their cars, but I'm seriously afraid Alfa will stick the same front end to all their cars from now on. Don't know about Fiat since they haven't launched a new car in a while save it for the 500 of course.

I don't care how beautiful a design may be, I want diversity. DB9 was and still is one of the most beautiful car designs ever, but Aston fucked it up royally using it over and over again. And now it has become boring and generic.

Last edited:
I'm not liking this styling phenomenon that is taking over the car industry: making all the cars in the range look exactly the same. That's why I like Ford very much: There is no confusion between the Ka, Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo, they all look different but are also instantly recognisable as Fords.

Does not compute. Ka = Fiesta unless you're REALLY paying attention or are a Ford nut.

I think it's just that all car companies want their cars to look like close relatives... and I think it works fine with most. I prefer the rear end of this Polo to the Golf's ugly saggy ass. But I must say the resemblance is quite extreme.

I too hope that we don't end up with "you can get this car in 5 sizes, S (A3), M(A4), L(A6), XL(A8) or American(Q7)"

IMHO the new Ka looks like a Fiesta which was washed to hot.

Does not compute. Ka = Fiesta unless you're REALLY paying attention or are a Ford nut.

Granted, Ka and Fiesta do look alike, and that was a bit stupid of me to include Ka on that list. I guess I was typing too fast there, didn't have time to really think it over.

My point remains the same: every car in the range does not need to come out of the same mold.

NooDle said:
American(Q7)"

That's just hilarious :lol:

Last edited:
so why offer a less powerful, more polluting one? Because it's 1000? cheaper? :?
They need cheaper engines for some markets where price is key, same markets will probably get matte handles and exterior trim instead of painted etc.

I love it - looks really well proportioned.

Maybe it's not as "funky and urban" (could barely bring myself to type those words) the 2 or the Fiesta but that badge and those refined looks are going to make it appeal to a different segment of the small car market (or some such marketing speak).

Love it. Clean, simple, scirocco-like. Good specs and options too.

Looks to be as good and better than the old Lupo was.