Here's a First, Germany emulating France.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/27/berlin_burning_cars.jpg
French youth like to burn cars on New Year's - and they don't mind lighting a few the rest of the year, either. German youths apparently really get their "arson on" when the economy takes a dip, as it happens to be doing right now. According to Bloomberg, at least 29 luxury vehicles have gone up in flames in Berlin so far this year, instigated by "'youths across Europe who 'perceive their future as rather precarious'."

The torchings in Berlin have been centered on the nicer, gentrified areas of town like Prenzlauer Berg, where some residents feel they are being squeezed out to make room for the moneyed. There is even a group called BMW that is claiming responsibility for some of the fires, but this time the acronym stands for the Movement for Militant Resistance (auf Deutsch, naturlich).

If cars are going up in smoke so quickly right now, perhaps the real question is: What will the disgruntled turn to next when things get worse? The police have created a special unit to investigate the arson, since it's considered a political act, but the advice from a Berlin police commissioner is: "I wouldn't advise someone to park their Porsche on the street."

:lol:

The world is going to hell.

Brings a new meaning to flame surfacing.

Was Bangle anywhere nearby?

I, too, would only live in Berlin if I had a garage to park my car at night.

Not only because someone might lay fire to my car (great, I'd get more money from my insurance, than if I'd sell the damn thing), but mainly because parking space in Berlin is so limited, that you are considered lucky if you only have to walk 5 minutes from your door to where your car is parked.

erm, since when is an E36 BMW a "luxury" vehicle?

^Tzatziki Duftbaum ROFLMAO

:lmao: :rofl: :lol:

brb guise, getting my arson on

This has been going on for a few years... some militant leftists who were largely forgotten got more than enough fresh air when a highly-respected Ph.D-student was arrestend on bogus charges of "aiding terrorists" (they cited one of his published research papers on gentrification in one of their letters), cause they could not catch some militant pacifists (yay for contradiction) who tried to torch a military truck. That, combined with the fact that rent levels in central berlin are up 25% with average wages down 11% within the last five years was reason enough to put torching cars back on the agenda of berlin's leftist scene...
..and to be honest, i still feel save parking my car on the street... 17 torched cars (the 29 cars claimed by Bloomberg count other cars damaged) in a 3.5 million inhabitant city is not that much, more cars are stolen (around 120 per quarter) in the same time period. If the conservative media (Tagesspiegel and BZ, most of all) would not put every torched car (and the name of the leftists group claiming responsibility) on the front pages, this would have stopped a long time ago. You don't get page one coverage for stealing a car, so why should you for torching it. Only teaches you that it brings your political issues on the front pages.

Last edited:
This has been going on for a few years... some militant leftists who were largely forgotten got more than enough fresh air when a highly-respected Ph.D-student was arrestend on bogus charges of "aiding terrorists" (they cited one of his published research papers on gentrification in one of their letters), cause they could not catch some militant pacifists (yay for contradiction) who tried to torch a military truck. That, combined with the fact that rent levels in central berlin are up 25% with average wages down 11% within the last five years was reason enough to put torching cars back on the agenda of berlin's leftist scene...
..and to be honest, i still feel save parking my car on the street... 17 torched cars (the 29 cars claimed by Bloomberg count other cars damaged) in a 3.5 million inhabitant city is not that much, more cars are stolen (around 120 per quarter) in the same time period. If the conservative media (Tagesspiegel and BZ, most of all) would not put every torched car (and the name of the leftists group claiming responsibility) on the front pages, this would have stopped a long time ago. You don't get page one coverage for stealing a car, so why should you for torching it. Only teaches you that it brings your political issues on the front pages.

Sure it doesn't have to do anything with the cultural identity crisis that the top half of Germany has been facing since, ooh, 1945 or so?

Disclaimer:Its a joke, please don't ban again

Sure it doesn't have to do anything with the cultural identity crisis that the top half of Germany has been facing since, ooh, 1945 or so?

I read the disclaimer. Still: not. funny. at. all. If you're trying a commie joke it a) won't be the top, but the right (eastern) half and b) you'd be dead wrong. Militant leftism is a west german problem. If you're trying a nazi joke, well... there's a cultural identity beside concentration camps...

Disclaimer:Its a joke, please don't ban again

Grip is right, though; why do you get front page for setting fire to a car, but if you steal it, the media doesn't care?

Grip is right, though; why do you get front page for setting fire to a car, but if you steal it, the media doesn't care?

because then it is *gasp* NEEDLESS DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY!!!1111oneoneone

Because fire is pretty. Bright colors are much better for attracting readers than a photo of an empty parking space or the car's (previous) owner.

Because fire is pretty. Bright colors are much better for attracting readers than a photo of an empty parking space or the car's (previous) owner.
But human anguish puts a smile on my face much faster than fire.

But human anguish puts a smile on my face much faster than fire.

You can have both if you set yourself on fire, that'll probably make you smile quicker than anything else! :lmao: