Honda F1 For Sale / Pull Out?

YAAAAY i have a new respect for whatever the hell the BBF1 team is calling itself this week, last time i saw rubens he was sitting in the stands at brazil before the race looking longingly at the track, i remember thinking afterwards "it will be so sad if its his last race"

And now he's back!

3626bpx257.1198961799.jpg

Last edited:
Senna talking with Mercedes DTM team

04 March 2009

Bruno Senna is talking to Mercedes with possibilities remaining that the Brazilian could switch to German touring car series DTM after missing out on a Formula 1 opportunity with the ex-Honda team. Senna has long been favourite to take the seat alongside Jenson Button until both the team and Rubens Barrichello revealed this week that a deal between the two parties is all but confirmed.

Mercedes motorsport Vice President, Norbert Haug, confirmed to German news agency SID that discussions are taking place: "There are talks but no decision. DTM starts a month later this year so we have four extra weeks to finalise our driver arrangements. It would be good to have Senna in DTM but it is still pure speculation with regards to this actually happening."

Compatriot Barrichello, meantime, has practically confirmed that it will be himself who drives for the former Honda outfit in 2009: "My faith says that, next week, I'll be driving a competitive car in the Barcelona test," he explained to S?o Paulo newspaper O Estado.

"It is clear that even the best name does not help if speed is not there," Haug continued, "But Bruno has already proved in F3, GP2 and F1 tests that he does have the speed."

This news follows the recent annoucement that the German manufacturer will be supplying the soon-to-be-named F1 team with engines for 2009.

Source

okay... wtf...

First they said Senna, now they are shunting him for Rubens?

But to be honest, whichever way you look at it, Honda is in serious trouble. I doubt that they will even be competitive for the 09 season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73567

Fry: Honda announcement coming shortly

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Thursday, March 5th 2009, 12:49 GMT

Nick Fry has all but confirmed the former Honda Racing team will be saved, saying an announcement about the Brackley-based squad's future will be made very soon.

"There is an announcement due shortly... that is all I can say," said Fry during the FOTA press conference in Geneva on Thursday.

Fry attended the FOTA meeting in place of Honda Racing's team principal Ross Brawn, who was originally scheduled to be in Geneva.

Fry admitted his team would not have survived it if hadn't been for FOTA's help.

"I think it is correct to say that our team has and will benefit from the future from FOTA in two ways," he added. "The first one is clearly the cost reductions will help us enormously in our challenges the team will face in the next two years, but also as important is the level of support from all the teams.

"In particular that on the day that Honda announced their withdrawal from the sport we received support from Luca di Montezemolo, which was positive, unconditional support and from Ron Dennis.

"There has been an enormous amount of activity behind the scenes, I think myself and Ross and our 700 employees all thank them for that. So the answer is yes (the team would have died without FOTA)."

So in the next couple of days the birth of Brawn Racing will happen...

I just had a brilliant thought:

Nick Fry should replace Heath Ledger as the Joker. He won't even need that much makeup.

Brawn GP takes over Honda Racing

Ross Brawn has taken control of the former Honda Racing team in a move that secures the survival of the tenth team in Formula One.

After months of speculation about the future of the Brackley-based outfit, following Honda's decision to quit grand prix racing last December, a 100 per cent buyout by Brawn has resulted in the team being renamed 'Brawn GP'.

A statement issued at midnight on Thursday said that Brawn had reached agreement with the Honda Motor Company to take ownership of the team. It was also confirmed that the outfit will be powered by Mercedes-Benz engines.

As autosport.com revealed earlier this week, Jenson Button will be partnered by Rubens Barrichello, who is set to extend his record as the most experienced driver in Formula One history.

Speaking about the new deal, Brawn said: "The past few months have been extremely challenging for the team but today's announcement is the very pleasing conclusion to the strenuous efforts that have been made to secure its future.

"Firstly, it is a great shame that having worked with Honda Motor Company for so long we can no longer continue together. I would like to thank Honda for the fantastic co-operation and support we have received throughout this process - particularly those members of the senior management who were closely involved with concluding our agreement - and for the faith they have demonstrated in myself and our team.

"I would also like to take this opportunity to pay due credit to our staff at Brackley. The levels of motivation and commitment that I have witnessed at the factory deserve the highest praise."

Brawn added: "It would be impossible to mention all of the people without whom today's announcement may not have been possible, however I would like to express particular appreciation for the support we have received from Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, the FIA (F?d?ration Internationale de L'Automobile), FOM (Formula One Management), FOTA (Formula One Teams Association), BERR (the UK's Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform), Bridgestone, our other team partners and our many fans the world over.

"The journey ahead will be challenging but exciting and we know we can count on their continued enthusiasm for our team and its ambitions."

Brawn said that the huge experience that Button and Barrichello have between them, having started 423 races in total, would be invaluable to the outfit as it bids to make up for lost time over this winter.

"I am delighted that Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello will form our race driver line-up for the 2009 season," he said.

"The vast experience and knowledge that both drivers bring to our team will prove invaluable as we aim to get up to speed in the shortest possible time to be ready for the first race of the season in Melbourne on 29 March. In what will be their fourth season together, their experience with our team in Brackley, our systems and our engineers, will prove a real asset."

Honda made it clear it was delighted to have finally put together a deal to safeguard the future of the team.

Hiroshi Oshima, Managing Officer of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. responsible for Corporate Communications and Motor Sports, commented: "Since announcing our withdrawal from Formula One racing on December 5 of last year, we have conducted various studies and discussions so that the team can continue its activities as a new team.

"We are very pleased that we could sell the team to Ross Brawn, with whom we have been partaking in the challenges of F1 competition, and are grateful for his decision. We offer our sincerest wishes for the new team which will be led by Ross."

Brawn GP, whose official colours appear to be yellow, black and white, are scheduled to shake down their car at Silverstone tomorrow in a behind-closed-doors test session, prior to a full blown run out at Barcelona next week and Jerez on March 15-17.
:)

Thank goodness. It is a bad name but who cares, as long as there are ten teams on the grid.

:)

Excellent news - good to see it confirmed. I can't imagine they'll have much of an '09 season, but the main thing is they'll be in it.

I hope they are in it - we'll see at the next few tests. They have been developing the car over the last few months, enough for it to be ready to run tomorrow.

Brawn GP.... terrible name, I would have preferred Ross Racing. RR - is that already taken?
so nick fry is out? one can hope...

You know, it's good that Honda is back, but why they didn't take Senna is beyond me. They need new people to get them somewhere.

Senna looking at DTM is probably related to wanting contacts at Mercedes for a drive at McLaren.

You know, it's good that Honda is back, but why they didn't take Senna is beyond me. They need new people to get them somewhere.

I don't think Senna would be a step up from either Jenson or Rubens. With that isport car, Senna should have won the GP2 title. Both Jenson and Rubens are very quick drivers(Ross would know), don't think less of them because they're stuck in crap machinery. Unless Brawn can hire someone like Alonso, then changing drivers isn't worth it at this stage.

Both Jenson and Rubens are very quick drivers(Ross would know), don't think less of them because they're stuck in crap machinery.

You don't know what is crap and what isn't. There is no way for you to tell if lack of performance is from a driver or a car. Honda is not competitive. And if you view them as a team, that includes drivers.

Rubens also has 260 starts and only has 9 wins and 13 poles. Since 1993.

Jenson has 155 starts and 1 win and 3 poles.

Both drivers are past their prime.

The speed of a driver is all-inclusive. From their fitness to their talent to the equipment they use to their ability to secure contracts. You don't look at a club racer and say "wow, he could really be the next Micheal Schumacher if he was fit!" No, you don't say that. Because he's not fast. If he really was fast, he'd be fit, he'd have the money, he'd have the contacts and he'd be in Formula 1.

Similarly, I may have the talent of Ayrton Senna (which I truly do believe), but if I can't get the $130,000 I need to pay the team for my Mustang Challenge seat next year, or Grand Am decides I'm not eligible for a license, or my doctor says I'm not fit to drive in the heat, I won't be fast, no matter how much talent I have or how many racing schools I've attended or how many karting wins I have. The playboy lawyer from Seattle will score more championship points than me and the serious young professional racing driver who DID raise the money and was granted a license and passed his physical will score A LOT more points than me.

I was very happy to hear this news this morning, but I'm not crazy about the name. I like the apparent colour scheme, mainly because I've missed the Jordan colours of old. I'm happy with the driver line-up, although I do feel somewhat sorry for Bruno Senna being jerked around.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73586

EXCLUSIVE: First shot of Brawn GP car

By Jonathan Noble Friday, March 6th 2009, 11:57 GMT

Jenson Button, Brawn GP, SilverstoneJenson Button has given Brawn GP's new car, the BGP 001, its first shakedown at Silverstone today.

Just hours after Honda confirmed that it was selling the outfit to team principal Ross Brawn, the white, yellow and black car took its first exploratory laps around Silverstone.

The car, which was put together even though the team had no guarantee over their future, features a wide low nose, and highly sculpted sidepods.

The run is the first time the Brackley-based team have been in action since Honda announced in December that it was quitting F1.

Since then, the team have concluded an engine-supply deal with Mercedes-Benz, and confirmed drivers Button and Rubens Barrichello.

Following today?s shakedown, the team will move to Barcelona in Spain for their first serious test, before another run-out at Jerez the following week.

Check the link for the photo. Can't hotlink from Autosport.

It's still sponsorless... they need to find a contract during this season, otherwise they'll evaporate with no funding.

Good to hear that they have been saved, as others have said the name isn't that great, but that doesn't matter.

Good news, good news. Let's hope this incarnation will last.