Turbos vs Superchargers

stevanford1

Car(s)
FN Mustang
I prefer Superchargers - for no technical reason at all - just like them but really you need to look into the technical details for any given use you envisage - oh, and the cost.

Turbos.

Because of cars like this:

Lotus98T3.jpg

BrabhamBT525.jpg

Williams_FW11_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

And many more.

Supercharger. I like the linear output and the relative simplicity compared to turbos.

I'm gonna go with Turbo. If I can't go side-drafts/ITB's.

I hate blower whine, every time I hear it I keep wondering if someone's alternator belt is just a bit too tight. Just makes a powerful motor sound like a little bitch about to fall apart. I do admire belt driven blowers simplicity.

With turbos I like that you can make a motor do just about anything with one. It can be a high revving, high hp screamer, or it can be a torque monster from hell. With VVT/Vtec/direct injection/variable vane turbos we are starting to get to where you don't have to pick just one ;)

Supercharger. I like the linear output and the relative simplicity compared to turbos.
LOLWUT

i can't make a decision it's like asking a parent to choose their favorite child each one excells in their own way. Plus recent technology like the VGT* and the variable speed superchargers are really closing the gaps on what differences exist.

*yes we all know that VGT isn't new but we are just now hearing rumblings of VGT technology comming out in the aftermarket not just off wrecked porsche turbos

Last edited:
I'm pretty much with arimenair on this one. High Revving V8/10/12 don't really need any forced induction. Little 4's and 6's do better with turbos as they tend to rev faster and bigger slower revving engines are served better with superchargers. It's really down to applications.

I can't really say, since I've only owned N/A and turbocharged cars. Though the surge of power from a turbo can be quite enjoyable.

With turbos I like that you can make a motor do just about anything with one. It can be a high revving, high hp screamer, or it can be a torque monster from hell. With VVT/Vtec/direct injection/variable vane turbos we are starting to get to where you don't have to pick just one ;)

You forgot this:

dei.jpg

I have turbos by a long shot.

Turbo lag is overrated, if I am "spirited" driving I am over 4k so you will never drop out of boost. The Clarkson argument of you can't floor it in 5/6th gear going slow and accelerate fast, but who does that? The power gains of turbos are much greater than supercharger, and it's all in the "spirited" range. And who doesn't love the ability to completely control your power levels? It's very simple to up the boost, EBC's allow for a "DD" "some jackass i need to beat down" and "oh shit a lambo lets blow his doors off" modes at the touch of a button. I don't think the gallardo wants to wait for you to change a pulley in your supercharger to go from DD to fast as possible mode. Yes there are custom ones but I'm not counting that, the SC still has to work 100% it just doesn't let that air to the TB.

Of course there are specialized situations but I am not going to get into those.

Last edited:
I have turbos by a long shot.

Turbo lag is overrated, if I am "spirited" driving I am over 4k so you will never drop out of boost. The Clarkson argument of you can't floor it in 5/6th gear going slow and accelerate fast, but who does that? The power gains of turbos are much greater than supercharger, and it's all in the "spirited" range. And who doesn't love the ability to completely control your power levels? It's very simple to up the boost, EBC's allow for a "DD" "some jackass i need to beat down" and "oh shit a lambo lets blow his doors off" modes at the touch of a button. I don't think the gallardo wants to wait for you to change a pulley in your supercharger to go from DD to fast as possible mode. Yes there are custom ones but I'm not counting that, the SC still has to work 100% it just doesn't let that air to the TB.

Of course there are specialized situations but I am not going to get into those.

Uhh... correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you cant just go from a daily driving 5lbs of boost to a lambo-beating 25lbs on a whim. Highly modified cars get dyno-tuned for a reason. Unless you can switch maps on the fly, you can't just up the boost and expect the car to run a-ok.
That said, I do agree with some of the things you said. JC's FQ-400 vs rental race was just silly - no car enthusiast is too lazy to downshift in that situation lol. I also do agree that lag isn't really that bad of a thing. If you want to go, you downshift. If you're just cruising then you're off-boost and getting great mpg. yay!