2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Ferrari, Brawn/BMW, BMW/Brawn, Toyota, McLaren, Renault, Red Bull, Williams, Force India, Toro Rosso.

I'll reserve judgement on a stepped list until after Melbourne. And anyway, isn't the fantasy management F1 game about to start?
They were very late starting it last season and it appears they're cutting it close yet again: http://f1.virtualsports.com.au/

It's not down. It jus doesn't allow embedding, or something like that.

The last day of the BMW Sauber F1 Team's pre-season testing started with a delay of more than an hour due to heavy fog.
Weather conditions: Heavy fog early morning, sunny for the rest of the day. Temperature: Air: 8 - 19 ?C, Track: 10 - 26 ?C Number of drivers participating: 11 from 10 teams

Fastest lap overall: Rubens Barrichello (Brawn GP) 1:18.926 min Circuit length: 4.655 km

Robert Kubica Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-04 / BMW 86/9 Test kilometres today: 624 (134 laps) Fastest lap: 1:20.740 min

Programme: The last day of the BMW Sauber F1 Team's pre-season testing started with a delay of more than an hour due to heavy fog. When the sun had finally burnt through Robert Kubica did a race simulation that included start procedures and pit stops. After the lunch break Kubica continued to evaluate different solutions for the BMW Sauber F1.09's set-up in advance of the Australian Grand Prix. Today he covered 134 laps, bringing the car's total mileage for the four Barcelona test days to 2,162 kms.

Willy Rampf, BMW Sauber F1 Team Technical Coordinator, said: "Our final pre-season test was very productive. We worked on the mechanical set-up of the car as well as the aero configuration. In addition, we also improved our KERS. Our second goal was to prepare for the season's first Grand Prix in two weeks in Melbourne. We simulated a proper race day on Tuesday with Nick Heidfeld and today with Robert Kubica, each covering a complete race distance without any technical problems. That tells us a lot about the reliability of the BMW Sauber F1.09."

What comes next: The fourth day on the Circuit de Catalunya concluded the BMW Sauber F1 Team's pre- season testing. The team will continue its preparation at the home base before heading to Melbourne for the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 29th.

Ferrari, BMW, Brawn, Toyota, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams, Renault, Toro Rosso, FI.

something doesn't feel right, but the field is so close right now - its anyones game- but my top 4 pretty sure locked in.

Renaults wheel
it actually looks neat

s01_b_17946605.jpg

and here's something interesting on the wheels in the past
http://www.oobject.com/category/formula-1-user-interfaces

:lol: at the 'overtake' button. White, top right by the display.

:lol:

I thought it would be a big, red, shiny button with the word 'BOOOOOOST' all over it.

amazing lap time from Barrichelo and BrawnGP, unbelievable, can't wait for the race!

Me thinks some people are writing McMerc off too easily. They are doing some extreme sandbagging.

Me thinks some people are writing McMerc off too easily. They are doing some extreme sandbagging.
Some teams decide not to show all their cards early, but eventually they'll reel off a few quick laps here and there. McLaren have just been consistently mediocre from the looks of it. All those various rearend tests and comparisons just seemed strange.

Then again, what the hell do I know? :p

I will come out and say it, Brawn is under weight fishing for sponsors. I will buy a San Antonio member lunch if I am wrong and they really are that fast. (Ie. one of them on the podium in Melbourne)

I agree and assume that they are running without a bit of ballast - but they can't remove all the ballast - or it would compromise their setup.
They also having funding for the entire season, so would have the season to find a sponsor - thus they wouldnt throw away their setup and testing for a sponsor. Especially when race result is what would more likely attract said sponsors.

With all that in mind they are not just faster than the other teams, they are 1 whole second up the pace - so the question is does ~40-50kg equate to one whole second? Or are they actually on pace. I think they will definitely be up the front.

I think, at the very least, they look like they're not going to be backmarkers.

Guessing the order of the teams? I'll wait until a few rounds in before making that call.
That completely defeats the purpose and fun of making a sport prediction. It's like waiting until the final round of a tournament to place your bet on the winner. :p

My guess based on testing so far:

Teir 1:
Ferrari/BMW/Brawn/Toyota (really close)
Teir 2:
RedBull/Renault
Teir 3:
McLaren/Toro Rosso/Force India/Williams

Simply Mclaren hasn't proven yet they are right up there it's almost as if they are trying anything. So much for the "best looking" car if they don't figure things out.

I'm thinking:
Ferrari, BMW, Renault
RedBull, Brawn, Toyota, McLaren,
Toro Rosso, Force India, Williams

I think someone like Alonso can really make a diffrent in a race, and McLaren will start slow and move it's way up, BMW going the other way!