Audi S4 and S5 planned to be 4 cylinder!

Not generally sure about Turbo 4s, but i love the sound of it being 880lbs lighter. Heres to hoping that someday progress will lead us to a 2200lb, 4+ seat, rwd or awd sports cars that we can actually buy some day.

:cheers:

Heres a great little 1.1 litre Offy 4 cylinder that maybe Audi engineers could use as inspiration for their turbo 4 ;-)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhiDHfc1es[/YOUTUBE]

(Please ignore weird voice-over guy in the beginning)

Oh, and heres a Lego engine you can build if you audi engineers get bored and want something to do with your children (not my engine either)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMwm3wwqtwc&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
No. No, no, no, no, no.

It's like giving your girlfriend a precious diamond ring as a present, only to tell her just how much you saved by checking out various stores. "Look darling, I got this ?1000 cheaper!". A car, much like a diamond ring, is about passion to us petrolheads. And when you start discussing the money in it, that passion goes away. The whole charm of a great car just fades away.

Do I care if Volkswagen invented a clever new engine that gives better fuel economy? YES! I think that's great. Put it in your Passat or your Polo - the average owner will be a lot happier. But do I, as a petrolhead, really want to think about fuel economy whenever I put my foot down and hear the roar of the V8? Of course not.

You're applying irrational/emotional female logic to yourself? I assume you're a man, please dont embarass yourself.

You know you wouldn't buy the overpriced ring for your girl unless you were p*ssywhipped or needed the sex that bad. Take that out of the equation, its an idiotic investment.

Likewise, you're saying being smart about getting the most our of our cars for the least (money, fuel consumption, weight, displacement) is stupid?

May have to reexamine your priorities.

To be honest, this is exactly what I think is wrong. The S-model Audis or M-model BMWs were never for the people that have to constantly adjust their driving to the fuel prices. If cost really is one of your primary concerns, get a Miata, get a Golf GTI or some other small and fun car. There are loads of cars out there that are dirtcheap and fun to drive.

An S5 is not a muscle car - it's not just a big engine in an unintelligent body, so it doesn't have to be cheap to buy nor cheap to drive. You buy an Audi S5 because you would like to take your F430 Scuderia to work every morning, but with minus ten outside and snow everywhere you realise that that's not a very good idea.
I tend to agree, but then there is the RS line. As long as the RS stays a hi-revving V8, I would think Audi is smart for changing the S lineup. The enthusiast with an F430 Suderia would most likely have an RS4 or a big comfy A series, I would think. I dont see a Ferrari owner buying a middle of the road A series.

It's stupid to just dismiss an I4 just because it hurts your "petrolhead feelings". The new S4 could very well be a lot more entertaining and fun to drive than the one we have now. You might miss the V8 grunt and some of the noise, but i'd sure sacrifice it for a major weight save. This is the same reason an Ariel Atom is so desirable! Low weight, but still enough power to get big performance.

Being a petrolhead if not just about loving a big V8. It's the love of driving, and if the new S4 is a better driving car than the current, what are we complaining about? Better fuel economy is just a positive side effect, and why wouldn't you care about that? You don't get rich by not caring about how much money you spent.
And another thing, better fuel economy means better range, so less worrying about refueling :) Which in turn gives you more time to enjoy the car and act like a petrolhead :p

It's stupid to just dismiss an I4 just because it hurts your "petrolhead feelings". The new S4 could very well be a lot more entertaining and fun to drive than the one we have now. You might miss the V8 grunt and some of the noise, but i'd sure sacrifice it for a major weight save. This is the same reason an Ariel Atom is so desirable! Low weight, but still enough power to get big performance.

Being a petrolhead if not just about loving a big V8. It's the love of driving, and if the new S4 is a better driving car than the current, what are we complaining about? Better fuel economy is just a positive side effect, and why wouldn't you care about that? You don't get rich by not caring about how much money you spent.
And another thing, better fuel economy means better range, so less worrying about refueling :) Which in turn gives you more time to enjoy the car and act like a petrolhead :p
You are not getting any fuel economy if you are driving fun. I was driving yesterday with my display set to show current MPG. The read out said 6.8...

You are not getting any fuel economy if you are driving fun. I was driving yesterday with my display set to show current MPG. The read out said 6.8...

But one doesn't drive vigorous and fun 100% of the time, in fact most ppl only do it 30-40% of their driving, unless you're saying you drive like a reckless jackass on public roads during your daily commute to work/school/the shops.

Assuming you are NOT a jackass, then that leaves a good 60-70% of driving time where an I4 *is* more fuel efficient than a V8?

Tell me if that logic doesn't work for you.

I've yet to drop below 24mpg in the miata, even when I burned a full tank of fuel in Malibu. And a stock motored miata is a car you drive WOT or off throttle when having fun.

Why?

Do you really think she wants to know just how much you saved on that expensive ring? Do you really think any car enthusiast gives a shit how many MPG you got in your last drift?

The diamond ring comment I read wrong. Regardless, what passion is there in taking a mundane family sedan like the A4 and making it go fast? If they were really passionate they would have started from scratch and built a proper sports car, like the R8. Obviously they wanted something that could still be used to haul the kids and their luggage while enjoying that mountain road on the way to the camping trip. Their going to give a damn about MPG. I know this because I'm currently in the market for something that is both fun and practical. Passion is just another BS word thrown around by people who want to justify something that is junk, like many of the unreliable FWD Alfa Romeo's.

Has it ever occurred to you that perhaps they are putting "more passion" into the car by making it faster and more nimble by having nearly 900lbs of weight lobbed off the car? Or listening to enthusiasts who have been screaming for years that cars are too fucking heavy. The current S4 in the US is damn near 4000lbs.

Last edited:
But one doesn't drive vigorous and fun 100% of the time, in fact most ppl only do it 30-40% of their driving, unless you're saying you drive like a reckless jackass on public roads during your daily commute to work/school/the shops.

Assuming you are NOT a jackass, then that leaves a good 60-70% of driving time where an I4 *is* more fuel efficient than a V8?

Tell me if that logic doesn't work for you.

No you are right I barely get 20% of fun driving and it's usually to/from my autoclub meets but mostly from since it's pretty late and roads are clear. I do get same mileage as my friend with a 2.0 Sentra for the most part when driving normally even better on highways.
I've yet to drop below 24mpg in the miata, even when I burned a full tank of fuel in Malibu. And a stock motored miata is a car you drive WOT or off throttle when having fun.
You can't compare an N/A to a boosted engine when I'm out of boost range I barely use fuel as well.

I love the idea, a lighter car will be more fun, and it could be just as fast. Sure the V8 rumble won't be there, but a 4 cilinder can sound nice.

And is it me or my imagination that there are countless other posts about modern cars saying "when will X or Y brand get it that we want lighter cars?", well here's one that's (supposedly) doing it, and some are against it. What gives?

Kind of ontopic: does anyone know a website with weight figures of engines? I always wondered how much a specific engine actually weighs. The Corvette's LS7 must be pretty light for example. Also, I sometimes wonder whether an I4 with a turbo, an intercooler and all the other accessories you need doesn't weigh just the same as an N/A V6.

I love the idea, a lighter car will be more fun, and it could be just as fast. Sure the V8 rumble won't be there, but a 4 cilinder can sound nice.

And is it me or my imagination that there are countless other posts about modern cars saying "when will X or Y brand get it that we want lighter cars?", well here's one that's (supposedly) doing it, and some are against it. What gives?

You caught on exactly, it shows that many ppl here say one thing, but in reality can't decide what they want. That's why i can't take anything ppl say here seriously. They want everything, yet nothing.

Would be fun if Audi made it a Diesel while they're at it too, just to make the people who are upset 'cause it's not a V8 rage even more. :p

No.... just no.... it's bad enough they put a V6 in there instead of a V8 but a 4 banger............
Dr Grip,
You know never liked the sound of a rally car. As someone who hangs out with alot of I4 tuners I have to say no matter what exhaust you put on it it's not gonna sound as good as a V8 it just doesn't have the displacement for it.

Yes Evo's and STi's will decimate the S4 around a track any day but you don't buy an S model to kill everything on the track or on the road. They are not focused performance cars so raw performance is not really their main concern. The RS line is there to beat the pants of of everything else on the road and if they put a 4 banger in that I am going on a rampage.

not really to do with displacement and more to do with the fact you only get two torque pulses every rpm....i.e. every 180 degrees of Crank Angle. 8 cyls obviously have 4.... hence they are smoother and produce a different, better sound

Why?

Do you really think she wants to know just how much you saved on that expensive ring? Do you really think any car enthusiast gives a shit how many MPG you got in your last drift?

Sorry, but I really have to ask you if you even live in the real world and already maintained a car by yourself or are you just dreaming about the cars on your bedroom wall?

Last edited:
not really to do with displacement and more to do with the fact you only get two torque pulses every rpm....i.e. every 180 degrees of Crank Angle. 8 cyls obviously have 4.... hence they are smoother and produce a different, better sound

Not to mention the crank layout is entirely different, except on Ferrari's (hence why they sound more like a couple of bike engines).

Displacement does have an effect, as well as the bore vs stroke, but not to the effect of just sheer number of cylinders.

The enthusiast with an F430 Suderia would most likely have an RS4 or a big comfy A series, I would think. I dont see a Ferrari owner buying a middle of the road A series.
Then I will suggest getting out more and to stop making assumptions. Ferrari owners, and a lot of exotic owners in general, do in fact drive "middle of the road" cars as daily drivers and/or work cars, for a myriad of reasons.

Sorry, but I really have to ask you if you even live in the real world and already maintained a car by yourself or are you just dreaming about the cars on your bedroom wall?
No, I live, primarily, in a cage somewhere in World of Warcraft with my ogres and what not.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter in this case that I am 18 years old and have virtually zero economic responsibility becasue the passion of which I am talking here is something I will never compromise because of cost.

It seems to me that some people believe that the cost a car is merely the price you pay the dealer to get the keys. On top of that comes insurance, maintenance costs and petrol. If you can't afford that cost right now or have doubts that you will be able to afford it in the future, you can't afford to buy the car in the first place. So, when you are considering buying a certain car, you should consider how you ideally want to drive in that specific car. If, after having bought the car, all you can do is worry about fuel consumption and getting driving economically, that means your calculations were wrong.

What I am trying to get to here is that any car has a real specific price that may differ a lot from its "list price". That real price includes any future cost imposed on you from owning the car. So, whether you buy a big V8 or a smaller I4 instead makes a difference in this real price.

No, I live, primarily, in a cage somewhere in World of Warcraft with my ogres and what not.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter in this case that I am 18 years old and have virtually zero economic responsibility becasue the passion of which I am talking here is something I will never compromise because of cost.

It seems to me that some people believe that the cost a car is merely the price you pay the dealer to get the keys. On top of that comes insurance, maintenance costs and petrol. If you can't afford that cost right now or have doubts that you will be able to afford it in the future, you can't afford to buy the car in the first place. So, when you are considering buying a certain car, you should consider how you ideally want to drive in that specific car. If, after having bought the car, all you can do is worry about fuel consumption and getting driving economically, that means your calculations were wrong.

What I am trying to get to here is that any car has a real specific price that may differ a lot from its "list price". That real price includes any future cost imposed on you from owning the car. So, whether you buy a big V8 or a smaller I4 instead makes a difference in this real price.

Well than let's talk about this subject in 5 or 10 years time again.

Because, you know, you might have to learn that sometimes it's necessary to adjust your dreams to the world around you because vice versa could be impossible. And chasing dreams you'll never be able to fulfill can be very frustrating, trust me.

I wish you that you won't, though.

/me accepts nothing less than twin turbos and < 350HP.

/post.

Last edited:
Well than let's talk about this subject in 5 or 10 years time again.

Because, you know, you might have to learn that sometimes it's necessary to adjust your dreams to the world around you because vice versa could be impossible. And chasing dreams you'll never be able to fulfill can be very frustrating, trust me.

I wish you that you won't, though.
Why would you want to set goals that you would even think you can achieve? Reaching the goal that is not that rewarding in itself - it is the journey that leads you to your goal that is possibly the most rewarding of all. If you have some sort of ultimate goal in your life - getting rid of your debt, getting that super fancy sportscar you always wanted or marrying that hot supermodel - ask yourself what happens when you reach that goal. Are you going to be a better person? A happier person? Will it fullfill your life and make the rest of your days a never ending fairytale of love and happiness?

The obvious answer is no. You'll never stop dreaming about more. More than you already have because you're sure that that one special thing you can't have will make you happy. So why not accept that and dream big? The only thing it can hurt is your ego.

So, I accept that your philosophy of life is what you have just posted, but I reject it in favor of my own. And, I don't for a second buy that bullshit attitude that "life experience" makes you any wiser.