First SLR for photography n00b. :)

WirelessMonkey

Car(s)
MK1 Golf Driver
Title pretty much explains it but in a bit more detail, im basically looking for a DSLR that will just do for me to get into photography. I am very drawn to the Nikon D40 or D40x (my budget is around ?300). I will be using the camera mainly for motorsport photography as im usually at a track somewere watching racing in my spare time. I will of course use the camera for still life photo's and such (As i said im trying to get into photography)

If anyone could reccomend something good that would be great!

Olympus e-410.The fact that i love most about it is that it has some sort of Supersonic Wave Filter that ensures no dust is on the sensor. It's also quite cheap, i think it fits in your budget. Check out this in depth review for more: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse410/page28.asp . The only problem that i see with this camera is that there aren't as many lens kits out there as for instance a cannon or nikon.

D40x should be getting pretty cheap now (equivalent to D40 price a couple of years ago) and I'm really happy with my D40. Having lenses freely and reasonably cheaply available is also a big plus for someone like yourself. :)

Most people say go into Jessops and have a play with all the cameras, see which you like best. Then buy that one. :D

Most people say go into Jessops and have a play with all the cameras, see which you like best. Then buy that one. :D

Yeah, the feel of the camera in your hands is important. Whenever I hold my bfs 350D if feels wierd, I wouldn't like to use that for longer periods of time.

What you should be aware of with the D40 is the limitation in lenses, but if you're just starting out in photography there should be a sufficient selection.

Choose between a Canon or Nikon. Try them out and see what fits your hands best... most seem to like Nikon's ergonomics better, but plenty of people prefer Canon.

I personally wouldn't go to any other brand... I see no reason to do so, Nikons and Canons are good and are not prohibitively expensive.

Got a D40x personally, it's awesome. I can't envision needing a new body for many, many years.

The fact that i love most about it is that it has some sort of Supersonic Wave Filter that ensures no dust is on the sensor.
That feature is in a lot of cameras these days, but it will not keep all dust off. It will make cleanings less frequent, but that's it.

If it's between the D40 and D40x, but former is the better choice. The x version offers very little for the added cost. The slight gain in resolution is not worth the drop in noise performance.

Last edited:
If it's between the D40 and D40x, but former is the better choice. The x version offers very little for the added cost. The slight gain in resolution is not worth the drop in noise performance.

Well, I wouldn't call a jump from 6 to 10 megapixels 'slight' even if megapixels don't add up to that much.

How much more is the D40x nowadays anyway? When I got mine the D40 was quite a bit cheaper, but I figured prices should be similar these days.

As an owner of a D40, I'd still choose it today. I personally don't need the extra resolution the "x" has over it, so if you don't need to have that, go for the D40.

They're looking to be going close to around the same price from what I've found in the past 20 mins, the d40x is still a tad more.

I think the D40x was about $140 more when I bought my camera in December 2007.

Well, my personal choice would be with the D40x. I like having lots of megapixels, because it means when you do get that one nice shot you can zoom in so much on the computer and see every little detail. Yeah, you won't see any difference in quality unless you print out a poster, but it's nice to have if you don't have to pay too much for it.

Edit: Here's a slightly creepy picture to illustrate. You can see me in a robe, sitting next to my black and white Fender Strat, in my cat's eye.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2009/03/16/DSC_0555.jpg

Last edited:
I was trying to justify the price hike, the D40x isn't as available in the UK, Jessop's (well known high street photography shop) don't actually stock it, but i would be willing to up to the D60, if it's worth it.

On the subject of trying to get a d40x in the UK, amazon do not stock it themselves but third party sellers do. I hate buying from them, usually because u get the wrong instructions or something wrong etc. I may just go for the d40 (i need to save money, i'm 17 in september and need the money to go towards car insurance lol)

Err.. It's 30% more in linear resolution. Which is about this much:

https://pic.armedcats.net/m/mx/mxm/2009/03/16/d40x.gif

These pixels have to be crammed on the same sensor area. And the decrease in pixel size is actually more than 10/6, because the service areas grow (they don't stand next to each other, there are leads etc.). Which results in decreased sensitivity, as epp_b said.

This megapixel race is completely retarded, it doesn't keep up with sensor tech, they just put more on same area, and it makes things worse.

People will always tell you to go for either one, Canon or Nikon, but don't listen to them. Jessops is a wonderful store to have as a resource.

One thing I've found - I kinda dived into it blind (don't regret it, but I may have), and bought a D50 off eBay. I couldn't afford a D40 at the time. Obviously I don't know what its like over a length of time, but I usually find the D40[x] and D60 too small for my hands. Do keep that in mind - there is plenty of choice out there, so don't go for something instantly that isn't quite right because someone told you to get it. My D50's 6mp is more than enough, but again don't let that number change your mind - they are infinitely better quality than PaS cameras.

As far as lenses are concerned, I have the kit 18-55mm and a 70-300mm zoom one. The zoom is great, but the cheaper 55-200mm one will do just as well. The kit lens is fine for starters. A zoom lens would be very helpful in motorsport, for panning etc.

But really see for yourself. We can't tell you what you want, and neither can the people in Jessops. Make your own decision, and don't look back.

Last edited:
^^ I have been misled by the Nikon marketing department! Crap.

^ Indeed that is the only way to do it. People will always tell you to go for either one, but don't listen to them. Jessops is a wonderful store to have.

One thing I've found - I kinda dived into it blind (don't regret it, but I may have), and bought a D50 off eBay. I couldn't afford a D40 at the time. Obviously I don't know what its like over a length of time, but I usually find the D40[x] and D60 too small for my hands. Do keep that in mind - there is plenty of choice out there, so don't go for something instantly that isn't quite right because someone told you to get it. My D50's 6mp is more than enough, but again don't let that number change your mind - they are infinitely better quality than PaS cameras.

As far as lenses are concerned, I have the kit 18-55mm and a 70-300mm zoom one. The zoom is great, but the cheaper 55-200mm one will do just as well. The kit lens is fine for starters. A zoom lens would be very helpful in motorsport, for panning etc.

But really see for yourself. We can't tell you what you want, and neither can the people in Jessops. Make your own decision, and don't look back.

I was just about to ask about that, i was looking at zoom lenses, because i know when your on track you can be quite far from the action, well too far for my standard digital camera to get a decent picture!

What about a Canon XS or XSi? It seems everybody on this forum prefers Nikon but I'm so used to Canon's menu system/layout I could never switch.

What about a Canon XS or XSi? It seems everybody on this forum prefers Nikon but I'm so used to Canon's menu system/layout I could never switch.

Canon XS owner here...didn't think the extra features were worth the money. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I've got the XTi, and it works just fine. only gonna upgrade to a 5d II if i do upgrade, or the 1ds III. shouldve gone with the 40D just because the camera is just so small in my hand.