A certifiable lunatic spotted.

Posmo

I'm a piano until proven otherwise
Car(s)
'86 Sierra iS, '70 Cortina, '90 Sierra, '04 RS182
What is the least likely car to spot in -1'c temperature, driving in the snow in Finland?

How about a Lamborghini Gallardo spyder with.. wait for it..

Summer tires on.

http://img148.imageshack.**/img148/7592/kuva007.th.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/8717/kuva009.th.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/2005/kuva011o.th.jpg

Sorry about the crappy images, only had my cellphone cam. Didn't expect to see anything like this , maybe 1% of all supercars here are driven all-year, and most have studded tires on, but not this guy. Either he has b-b-b-balls of steel, or he is a madman

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to show these pics to my mum so she will let me get a sports car. :p

Well, I know a guy in Germany (owner of an large company, known internationally) - he has bought an Audi R8 as a "winter car", because it has the quattro system on it. Some say, the town he lives in has not needed snow plows ever since...

There's also a R8 on a street near me that I see driven almost daily. I love that car and the fact that it's being used and not hermetically sealed in some garage.

All the quattro in the world isn't doing shit with summer tires in the snow

As long as you're not going at stupidly fast speeds or trying to drive in a foot+ of snow you'd be fine.

I have summer performance tires on my FWD supercharged grand prix and I do just fine in Wyoming winters.

All the quattro in the world isn't doing shit with summer tires in the snow
That's true. As soon as you come to a hill or a situation with even a hint of losing grip, you're done for. And not to forget, using summer tires in winter does not do them any good - the rubber mixture is not specified for usage in low temperature, the tires "freeze", harden up, and take damage when used.

As long as you're not going at stupidly fast speeds or trying to drive in a foot+ of snow you'd be fine.

I have summer performance tires on my FWD supercharged grand prix and I do just fine in Wyoming winters.

You are obviously not from a real winter country. It's not snow you have to look out for, but ice. Even a hint of black ice and summer tires equals no control at all. Even studless winter tyres struggle, let alone the Gallardo's 295mm rears.

I really wouldn't go anywhere without proper winter tyres around here.

You are obviously not from a real winter country. It's not snow you have to look out for, but ice. Even a hint of black ice and summer tires equals no control at all. Even studless winter tyres struggle, let alone the Gallardo's 295mm rears.

Our winter here lasts from October to May... if you think here isn't real winter country you need to do a bit of research, we're at 7200+ feet above sea level, from December to February we rarely get temperatures above freezing. We're not near a coast, so it's all dry packed ice and snow, not coastal wet stuff. The highway that runs through town is the deadliest highway in the country, mostly due to the winter conditions. So I'd say you're wrong, not only am I from real winter country, I live in it.

Summer tires do fine for normal driving during the winter provided you mind your speed and don't act stupidly. As I said, with those tires I have on the grand prix I don't have problems, and our city does not plow any side or neighborhood roads, only the main streets, so all the smaller roads quickly turn to hard packed solid ice. Going slowly and not driving erratically means I have not had a single problem with the snow. If you lose control, you were going to fast.

Sure, winter tires are much better, but you can't just say summer tires don't work, because they do.

Our winter here lasts from October to May... if you think here isn't real winter country you need to do a bit of research, we're at 7200+ feet above sea level, from December to February we rarely get temperatures above freezing. We're not near a coast, so it's all dry packed ice and snow, not coastal wet stuff. The highway that runs through town is the deadliest highway in the country, mostly due to the winter conditions. So I'd say you're wrong, not only am I from real winter country, I live in it.

Summer tires do fine for normal driving during the winter provided you mind your speed and don't act stupidly. As I said, with those tires I have on the grand prix I don't have problems, and our city does not plow any side or neighborhood roads, only the main streets, so all the smaller roads quickly turn to hard packed solid ice. Going slowly and not driving erratically means I have not had a single problem with the snow. If you lose control, you were going to fast.

Sure, winter tires are much better, but you can't just say summer tires don't work, because they do.

Soz about the proper winter country comment, my bad.

BUT, I don't know in what wonderland you live in if you think summer tyres work on black ice..

Soz about the proper winter country comment, my bad.

BUT, I don't know in what wonderland you live in if you think summer tyres work on black ice..

The only tires that "work" on black ice are studded tires because they break and grab into the ice. Otherwise, summer or winter tires perform equally poor (some people say winter tires perform worse due to a lesser surface area of tire contacting the ice versus the summer tires, but meh). With black ice the best method is to go slow, even with winter tires.

So wait, you are seriously claiming you can survive and keep up with the rest of the traffic in a true winter conditions without studded winter tyres, with a Gallardo?

In most parts of Midwest and the East Coast in North America the streets are free of snow, so rarely people drive in 1+ feet of snow all the time. Therefore tires don't really matter in most cases (unless you hit black ice, then too bad!! :tease: ). Of course winter tires should be safer for winter, but summer tires are fine.

Well, I know a guy in Germany (owner of an large company, known internationally) - he has bought an Audi R8 as a "winter car", because it has the quattro system on it. Some say, the town he lives in has not needed snow plows ever since...

R8 isn't really a Quattro, it uses a viscous diff instead of a torsen in the middle.

That is not how it goes, but there is a hint of truth: you can use summer tires, for example in your FWD Pontiac. It's not smart...it's stupid, but you can do it nonetheless. This is a Gallardo...that's a whole different beast...it's not a matter of IF it will brake traction, it's just a matter of when it will do so. While your Pontiac may be supercharged, you can still drive that in slippery conditions. With a Gallardo + summer tires you literally have to tip toe your way around - you MUST have veryvery good pedal control to drive that thing.

BTW. Eih?n nuo kuvat ole M?kel?nrinteen lukion edess? otettu, Manskun varrelta ? Ihan siit? Boot Factoryn kulmilta.

I am interested in what you consider to be "summer" tires because i have attempted to drive my rents WRX on RT-615s in the snow and it was a no go situation i basically had to idle crawl to get going and any sort of grade resulted in wheel spin. Maybe you are a god like driver (i like to think i am pretty ok but not great) but i just cannot see anyone getting anywhere in the winter on snowy roads with summer performance tires never mind connected to a motor like the one found in the lambo

That is not how it goes, but there is a hint of truth: you can use summer tires, for example in your FWD Pontiac. It's not smart...it's stupid, but you can do it nonetheless. This is a Gallardo...that's a whole different beast...it's not a matter of IF it will brake traction, it's just a matter of when it will do so. While your Pontiac may be supercharged, you can still drive that in slippery conditions. With a Gallardo + summer tires you literally have to tip toe your way around - you MUST have veryvery good pedal control to drive that thing.

BTW. Eih?n nuo kuvat ole M?kel?nrinteen lukion edess? otettu, Manskun varrelta ? Ihan siit? Boot Factoryn kulmilta.

Ei mit??n hajua miss? M?kel?nrinteen lukio on, mutta tossa on M?kel?nrinteen uimahalli 100 metrin p??ss?, joten oletettavasti tied?t miss? paikka on, kuvat otettu t?n??n.

There is no way in hell that you drive around in SNOW on real summer tires. Either they are not summer tires, as you claim, or when you say snow you mean it snowed and then a plow came through, followed by a salt/sand truck. My friend decided to try and leave RT-615s on his CRX one winter and he couldn't get out of a parking spot. However, once the roads got plowed, he would drive around because the roads were NOT covered in snow anymore. Those tires are really slippery in the wet, in the snow you can forget about going anywhere. So like I said, either you are not running summer tires or you are not driving in snow.