No 56k: 1995 Camaro Z28 project part 2: Pushrod Boogaloo

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Table of contents:
Update I: Digging up the past
Update II: "What? This car is still around?" Video updates!

Hi all, my names Matt and this is a continuation of an older thread about my 1995 Camaro Z28 project. The old thread was just too buried, too old and too cluttered for me to bring back and hadn't been updated since June, so i'm making a second part which will hopefully be more organized. Where to start? Short story: I bought my first car with purely my own money last year, a crashed 6 speed manual pony car from the 90's. Well last you all heard, the car was sitting with discolored fenders and i droned on about my 70's 2nd gen and gave up on the project. What since then?

Well, the car sat for a few months because i lacked money and motivation to do anything, mostly looking something like this:

u11.jpg

u12.jpg

Once in a blue moon i would take the car out for a spin on nice south florida days. Its funny the looks you get with a tri-colored open headers v8 camaro :)
u13.jpg

But lately i just had to do something with the car, so i got some sandpaper and a HVLP paint gun and went to work! The car is currently in the middle of a backyard paint job, and i'm doing the best i can considering i don't know the first thing about bodywork or painting. But at least its all one color (except for the bondo and primer marks ;))! The front half has its first 2 paint coats on and i'm still doing bodywork on the back.
u14.jpg

u15.jpg

As well as doing my best to keep the engine clean and maintained.
Ill take this chance to leave a bit of a cliffhanger for the next update, when ill show you what i've been up to under the hood in the last 8 months...

u16.jpg

Last edited:
If your prep it right, and do enough finish work, you can get a rattle can job to look damn good. Wet sanding and clearcoat with a little blending, and it should look alright from 20ft or so.

Toss that steering wheel cover, that shit is wack.

Rattle can? Shit man im doing the job right with real paint guns, no orange peel here!

What, you dont like my big ridiculous fuzzy steering wheel cover? (Which is thick enough to actually block of bit of forward vision? :D)

Rattle can? Shit man im doing the job right with real paint guns, no orange peel here!

What, you dont like my big ridiculous fuzzy steering wheel cover? (Which is thick enough to actually block of bit of forward vision? :D)

Looks pretty rancid, IMO

Looks pretty rancid, IMO

Im not done sanding the second coat on the left fender or front bumper, i ran out of daylight and decided to take some pictures... :( Harsh man, look how glossy the hood is!

All I can say is that engine has to be a royal pain in the ass to work on. How long to change a set of plugs?

Depends, you need special modified tools just to touch two of them, much less tighten them down. tje #3 cylinder spark plug is covered on 5 out of 6 possible sides by header primary. Jesus Christ is it a bitch to change. To put in or remove the passenger side header the motor needs to be unbolted from its mount, lifted to the side, and lowered back into place :).

Last edited:
Ugh. That's why I only buy cars that can easily have their plugs replaced. :)

Can't wait to see this thing finished! Mine is coming along--albeit slowly. My car should be finished (hopefully) by May 30th. :D

Im not done sanding the second coat on the left fender or front bumper, i ran out of daylight and decided to take some pictures... :( Harsh man, look how glossy the hood is!

I think starfox is referring to the steering wheel cover. Ever had to pull the engine out of one of those cars? Don't you have to drop it through the bottom? Pray you never have to attempt that without a lift :p

The engine is usually taken out from the top with the tranny still attached, but count on destroying everything in the engine bay in the process...

o_O You can remove an engine without a lift? Its gotta weigh at least 500 pounds man!

He means car lift. You are just brimming with misinterpretations. Still super jealous about the 2nd gen.

Anyway guys, im big on reader feedback and my old PYC threads usually start out strong and trail off, what would you guys like to know or see about the car, this is kind of an interactive thread! Wanna hear more about the history of the car? Whats it run in the quarter? Wanna see my extra parts? Hear me bitch about weird problems i dont know how to fix?

Request away!

A nice streetable reliable example of the last of the old style v8's before the LSX redesign for posterity. Sure i'd love to have a wheelstanding monster but i'd just as soon love a high 11's garage queen, for which i think it is destined. I want to be that guy polishing the paint on his 30 year old muscle car in the driveway, in a (near-future) world of electric cars and hybrids.

...But for now i need to make it look good :)

Last edited:
Needs more mounted machine guns and bulletproofing.

What kind of suspension tweaks (if any) are you going to make, and how do the stock LT1 Camaros handle (both Z28 and SS)?

Assuming they don't fall apart F-Bodies in general will out handle Mustangs from the same era ( as long as the Mustang doesn't have an SVT badge on it).