Electronics bore the pants off me, what's a good TV?

Twerp128

Car(s)
'91 Miata, '09 Street Triple
So I've been, "babysiting," my brothers TV over the past year while he was off being a metrosexual in California. But he's back and he's coming today to take back his TV.

So I need a decent television. I went to Best Buy but they didn't seem to understand my price range or the fact that I don't want farking Monster Cables. And Circuit City doesn't realize that 30% off hideously overpriced isn't a good deal either. So anywho, I figure I can occupy myself for a couple weeks if I order a TV online and pocket the cash I save. I've looked around, but I have to say I don't really know what's good and what's not. I want the TV to last a while, I'm not the type that constantly updates my multimedia inventory. So here's what I'm looking for, if any of you TV guru's have any advice please share, 'cause I'm hopeless.

Price - $300-$750
Size- 30"-42"

-At least 2 HDMI ports and a PC hookup would be nice.
-I don't really need 1080p I figure, I don't plan on getting a BluRay and to be honest I don't use my TV enough to justify it.
-I hear Plasma's are nicer than LCDs, but I don't know which one? I'll use my Xbox on it, but I think they've sorted out the burning issues, right?

Any advice would be great!

You sound exactly like one of the markets that Vizio targets.

They were the best selling HDTV brand last year and have a lineup based around affordability and user friendliness. I have one of their 37" and compared to the LG and Sony HDTV's I have in my household, it was the easiest to set up and the cheapest. The quality is still definitely HD however TV gurus will point out that Vizio's have lower stats than their counterparts but thats something only gurus with more time than money will care about - to the naked eye its still HD quality.

720p is all one needs anyway especially since Sony BluRays may end up like Sony minidiscs (ie fail) and imo unless you get a large screen you shouldn't shoot for a 1080 screen.

Did I mention I'm writing this topic from my bed using a Vizio? FTMFW.

720 is plenty fine. I went to costco, and there are a couple Vizio's out. If you want to go risky, you could go ebay or craigslist. I personally would just buy one from the store (online or regular) though. There was a Sony 32 inch 1080 (dont remember p or i, I know its a difference) for $600, which is what a comparable Vizio normally costs.

One more for Vizio two of my friends both recently purchased Vizio TVs and they look pretty great

Sony BluRays may end up like Sony minidiscs (ie fail)
wut? MD was pretty huge across europe and all over asia the only place it didn't catch on was the US... just saying

720p is more than enough, get a Samsung, they make (and supply to everyone else) their own TV Matrix's, therefore for the same price you get a better one on Samsung TV. My experience-wise i can only add that they are reliable, menu in intuitive enough and, again, thanks to the matrix, they are good for video games.

I've had 2 Vizios and no complaints. Right now I have a Sony LCD (46" Z series), it's good but it took me a long time to calibrate.

FWIW:

A Samsung 26" its fine, works well off digital tuner, Cable Box and DVD, menu is easy to use and the set up was a breeze, 720p/1080i only though.

Also have a big Tosh 46", not so good pic - OK but not great, it was very cheap though. Its got 1080i/720p and 1080p (through HDMI ports) support though. Mrs Cobol74 has put an embargo on the BluRay DVD until the dog has had his vet bills paid - we have insurance just not enough insurance!

(Charlie is now the only 'Gold Plated' KC Cavalier dog in the world. ... Last couple of days he is much better thanks for asking.)

Vizio is not available here, afaik.

holy Jebus 46"! Why anyone needs anything larger than 42" I will never understand.

Also, I have nothing to contribute to the thread since I have no idea

I'd splurge a bit over your price limit and buy this

...it's only $50, not too bad...

Or if you want the higher high def, and a slightly smaller screen

...32" is plenty big for most rooms...

Of course you can check around newegg's tv section for different prices, they're the most reliable and best priced selection I've found. I recommend a Samsung for LCD screens. I've had good experiences with Philips and Viewsonic as well. Please don't buy a Vizio. Every time somebody buys a Vizio a fairy loses its wings. Isn't that sad?

Every Vizio I've ever seen in a store next to another brand looked like crap, you could see sections of pixels. Go look at the tvs in the stores, see which ones look like crap and which ones you would be happy with. Write those brands or even models down and try to find a deal online.

holy Jebus 46"! Why anyone needs anything larger than 42" I will never understand.

Also, I have nothing to contribute to the thread since I have no idea

I'm starting to think 50" is too small. There's 2 in my house.. :lol: Oh, how far we've come!

Wound up going to Best Buy first thing this morning to price the TV's out, and look at the picture quality of some of the online models I'd seen. I did look at Vizios, but the only place to get them around here is HH-Gregg which is overpriced, or Wal-Mart, and I'm not giving them a penny of mine. I was pretty convinced I'd get that Panasonic Plasma I posted earlier, even though I hadn't seen it, being the motorsport fan I am, I was extremely worried that the LCD TV's would blur.

So anyhow I was at Best Buy, and I ran into an old high school friend of mine. He convinced me that LCDs have caught up with Plasma's for picture quality, and that the LCD would actually show picture from a PC input better. So he showed me some NASCAR on the LCDs and I was sold, couldn't notice any blurring. I liked this Samsung LN32-something or other the best so that's what I got. Even better, for the price of Chipotle for my friend got me his employee discount, so it only wound up costing $450.

Also, don't make impulse buys when you own a Miata, thank God I didn't need 5th gear on the way home!

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/tw/twerp129/2009/03/31/IMG_3662.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome buy, you will be very happy I am convinced. That is a great pic - you should make it you sig IMHO.

/EDIT Swivel stand too. ...

Last edited:
I've got a Samsung TV and love it. From the little I've seen, I'd agree that LCD's look better with computer hook-ups...well...more like a computer monitor, anyway. Maybe it's just because I'm used to a monitor looking a certain way, but...well there you go.

Funny stuff, I bought a 32" tube tv years ago that wouldn't fit in my trunk. I had to call a freind with a truck. Have fun playing your games.

I have a 50" tv now and will be updating to a bigger one when OLED tvs become affordable. The home theater/gaming experience is enhanced by a bigger screen.

Samsung. I approve.

Might upgrade my 19" TV soon. Sound seems a bit flaky coming through the speakers sometimes, think the headphone jack is loose (I use headphones most of the time). It's not big enough either, never will be. :D

i would go for anything by Sony - brilliant picture and sound, and will go forever