New Mercedes E63 AMG unveiled

I remember bashing this car very badly when the first official pictures came out in the other thread.
However, last wednesday I saw a new E 320 CDI at the parking lot and took a good look at it.

I have to say it does look pretty damn nice in person, especially the front which looks hideous in pictures. The tail lights are the only element that didn't really work that well but that was only gripe I found.

They actually put work on this redesign. I like the split headlights. Makes it stand out as an E-Class

ugly steering wheel and centre console.

argh, C63 + LSD would be so much better.

Do not want.

- looks ugly (Ala Hyundai ugly)
- square pipes FTL
- only 11 more HP... fail
- 500ish hp from a 6.2? can I get another 100 horses to go please?

C63 is where it's at!

So you hate basically every single performance car made in Germany ? Since they are ALL limited to 155mph - M-division, AMG, RS cars....everything.

That said I love the previous E63, W211. This new one.....bleh...I hate the new headlights, the rear is very "meh" and the tailpipes should be round, not square.
No I hate the limiting of all these performance cars so that they can not show their performance.

If they are going to do this why not just build something that will will only naturally go 155 mph? It'd be cheaper.

btw TVR said "We did not get that memo." FTMFW. Shame they went bust. ...

- 500ish hp from a 6.2? can I get another 100 horses to go please?

They can get more bhp out of the engine but they don't want to, for whatever the reasoning may be. AMG said, themselves, that the HP wars are over. Lets see if that holds true, over the coming years...

If they are going to do this why not just build something that will will only naturally go 155 mph? It'd be cheaper.

For a car to be naturally limited to 155, it'll have much less power, and all NORMAL-driving-speed performance will suffer. You're on a road and want to pass someone. You want to stop on the gas and go. I couldn't care less than my can't go faster than I'll ever drive anyways.

I've warmed to the new E-Class design a bit but it still doesn't float my boat. The previous W211 generation was better.

But seeing this AMG version, I have to say I really like it! I appreciate the more boxy and pointy/aggressive shape. It makes more sense on the AMG. Plus that interior looks really really plush....mmm, love it!

Can't wait to see one in person. Looks like a Jan 2010 launch for Australia though :(

I've seen the new E-class at shows... not impressed. Wouldn't buy one.

Sorry, but I quite like it in a weird way - slightly too many angles and textures but overall it's quite good - aggressive :D

For a car to be naturally limited to 155, it'll have much less power, and all NORMAL-driving-speed performance will suffer. You're on a road and want to pass someone. You want to stop on the gas and go. I couldn't care less than my can't go faster than I'll ever drive anyways.

this does make sense, however, the 155 mph limit is just a randomly chosen number... and if a car CAN go quicker, why not let it? Sure 155 is plenty quick, but if I build a car in my garage tomorrow and make it's topspeed 156 mph, it's quicker than anything BMW/Audi/Mercedes make.

That doesn't sit right with me

Do not like. No Sir.

this does make sense, however, the 155 mph limit is just a randomly chosen number... and if a car CAN go quicker, why not let it? Sure 155 is plenty quick, but if I build a car in my garage tomorrow and make it's topspeed 156 mph, it's quicker than anything BMW/Audi/Mercedes make.

That doesn't sit right with me

The point was to shut up the advocates of a general speed limit on German motorways. I guess they just went for a somewhat round number (250 km/h), which roughly corresponded with the usual top speed of the fastest cars at the time.

yeah i know, but still, it's pretty dumb to have 1000 million kph topspeed and not being able to use it...

Meh, it's still a taxi.

yeah i know, but still, it's pretty dumb to have 1000 million kph topspeed and not being able to use it...

If you want to drive faster, just let someone take the limiter off. I prefer a 250kph limiter to an autobahn with speed limit. The number was randomly decided for. If you crash, you'll just be as dead as if you did 300.