New York Auto Show: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

nouseferaname90

Its being previewed, and I like it.

000_2011jgc_op.jpg

004_2011jgc_opt.jpg

autoblog said:
Despite always being a unibody vehicle, like many body-on-frame SUVs, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has been largely shown the door by a raft of new crossovers that have played to consumers looking for improved on-road performance. Oh, back when the current WK model was new for 2005, then-DaimlerChrysler made a splash with a new double-wishbone suspension that was better able to soak up tarmac imperfections, but some hardcore brand loyalists felt betrayed because the improved ride came at the expense of axle articulation. Not wanting to risk offending brand acolytes with their new 2011 model, Jeep faced a pair of seemingly divergent goals: Improve off-road ability while making the vehicle more attractive to a wider, street-oriented mainstream audience. In other words, as Chrysler's vice-president of design Ralph Gilles put it to us, Jeep's mission was to "put the 'Grand' back in Grand Cherokee."

Let's get this out of the way right now: Both domestic and global auto markets have evolved greatly from the late-Nineties salad days when Jeep once managed to shift 300,000 Grand Cherokees. And while last year the GC sold under a third of that total, it remains a linchpin in the company's operation, particularly as the larger three-row Commander model is not scheduled to receive a replacement. The company's fortunes are incredibly shaky right now, but if it is to survive in any form, products like the GC will still need to be able to shoulder a heavy burden.
Jeep's solution to its two-audience conundrum is the model you see before you, and while it shares lots of familiar cues, in the metal it looks at once far more aggressive than the exiting lantern-eyed WK, and ultimately more crossover-like. While it retains iconography like the seven-slot grille, the new headlamps have a meaner look thanks to a furrowed-brow appearance granted by the new hood. Perhaps the most dramatic departure is the profile view, where a new CUV-like tapering greenhouse takes up residence above a dramatically scalloped bodyside graphic. According to Gilles, the door panel indent is so pronounced that the company says they were "one step away from needing a compound hinge" to pull it off. If that profile looks longer to you, that's because it is ? the wheelbase has swelled by four-inches, with that extra space dedicated completely to rear-seat passengers (+ three inches) and cargo room (+ one inch). The rear end is all-new as well, with a cleaner license plate surround and more horizontally oriented tail-lamps that emphasize the Grand Cherokee's wider width. Loyalists take note: Your pass-through rear glass has been retained.
So, this new model has a longer wheelbase and a more refined, crossover-like aesthetic. How exactly is that going to appeal to the mudpluggers in the audience? Well, Jeep has added a bounty of new off-road minded technology, in addition to new powertrains and a stiffened structure.

Starting with the engine choices, the volume model is expected to be the company's new flex-fuel "Phoenix" V6. The variable-valve timing equipped 3.6-liter engine nets 280 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm ? a substantial 33% bump in horsepower and an 11% boost in torque over the departing V6. Backed by a carryover five-speed automatic, it is also a more efficient powertrain, with a claimed 11% increase in fuel economy. This new six-cylinder is scheduled to appear in many more products, potentially showing up in seven or eight different applications. Jeep officials expect the V6 to account for more than 50 percent of Grand Cherokee sales, a big switch over the WK GC, which skews more than 75 percent in favor of the V8.
Speaking of which, the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 has also been worked on, and it now generates 360 hp and 390 lb/ft of torque. Sizable efficiency gains are also expected, as the variable-valve timed engine will also use the company's cylinder deactivation technology (Multi-Displacement System) more often than in previous incarnations, and the gearbox picks up a sixth cog, as well. Regardless of which engine is selected, total range ought to improve, with Jeep quoting over 500 miles for the V6 thanks to the 24.6-gallon fuel tank (four gallons larger than before).

All of that power is nothing without added control, and to that end, Jeep has taken pains to greatly improve torsional stiffness in the chassis, something that both everyday commuters and off-roaders will appreciate. The new structure (based heavily on the Mercedes-Benz ML) has upwards of 5,400 welds, including 53% more spot welds and 42% more arc welds. There's also a further 38% increase in structural adhesive use. The net-net is a chassis that's 146% stiffer ? one that Jeep says bests the Toyota Highlander and BMW X5 for rigidity and allows for a maximum tow rating of 7,400 pounds.

So... what about that off-road hardware we talked about? During our private walkaround at Chrysler's Auburn Hills headquarters, Scott Kunselman, vice president of Chrysler's Jeep and truck product team was clearly excited to tell us about all of the new off-road gubbins that the company has managed to pack into this new model.

While lower-end models make do with a standard steel springs, there is an all-new Quadra Lift air suspension option that allows the driver to dial up ground clearance of up to 11.1 inches to crawl over boulders and downed tree branches. It's exactly the sort of equipment that helps increase the GC's breakover angle despite having a longer wheelbase (a full complement of skid plates is optional). That air suspension can also be lowered to parking height for easier ingress and egress, and if it's anything like Land Rover's air suspension setup, it figures to offer a more accommodating ride in the bargain.

Another bit of tech that reminds us of those boys from Solihull is Jeep's new Selec-Terrain system, a rotary controller that comes with models spec'd out with the top-shelf Quadra-Drive II 4x4 system. Selec-Terrain enables users to gird the vehicle's various systems (electronic limited-slip differential, traction control, stability control, two-speed hill-descent control, anti-lock, and so on) for various ground conditions, including Sand/Mud, Snow and Rocks. There is also a default automatic setting, and unlike the blokes at Land Rover, there is also a Sport mode that lowers ride height and allows for a bit more hooliganism before the electronic nannies kick in.
Predictably, there are more available creature comforts than ever before, including a much-improved interior with additional space, richer materials, tighter panel gaps, and more available toys. Some of the optional niceties include a mammoth twin-panel panoramic roof, an intelligent remote start (which automatically heats or cools the interior based on outside air temp), a collision warning system, adaptive cruise control, and a blind-spot/rear cross path detection system.

On the surface, at least, it looks like Jeep has managed an unlikely feat at the most crucial of junctures ? it has seemingly imbued the Grand Cherokee with the credentials necessary to simultaneously court a wider roadgoing audience while giving it the goods to finish the job off road. That Chrysler has given this vehicle a 2011 model year designation while others are still introducing their 2010 lineup is not an error ? the embattled automaker needs all the hits it can get right now as it seeks further government relief and help from Fiat. Wheeling out the GC well in advance of its debut in showrooms should only help the company build its case for eventual viability... and that thankless task will clearly be the 2011 Grand Cherokee's biggest obstacle to overcome.

Interior Pic
005_2011jgc_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/08/new-york-2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-must-serve-two-masters/

Not my favourite thing in the world; it's an improvement though.

The back looks kind of Audi-ish to me.

004_2011jgc_opt.jpg

q72-27-08-06.jpg

I guess I'm beginning to feel like the muscle car owners of old who saw their types of cars turn into pretentious fluff (and not even very good fluff in the end). On the looks, not very imaginative, neither outside nor inside but it doesn't look bad and is certainly miles in front of the WK which was a total fail on all possible fronts.

The interior: If you showed a current Lexus to a 1996 Chrysler designer, this is what he would have drawn up.

The side and the back look great, I think...not sold on the front or the inside.

Hilarious that from one generation to another there's a 33% increase in HP and an 11% increase in efficiency. Shouldn't there be smaller steps from one generation to the next? :p

Hilarious that from one generation to another there's a 33% increase in HP and an 11% increase in efficiency. Shouldn't there be smaller steps from one generation to the next? :p

No, that should be the minimum.

I really want to like this new Jeep, but the exterior leaves a lot to be desired. It isn't ugly at all, which is good, but it doesn't really seem to look like a proper Jeep either. Rather than a luxury off roader, it looks like a generic small CUV. Hopefully, the styling will grow on me, because I really want to like this new Grand Cherokee. With the right colors, I think the interior could finally be a proper luxury SUV. The last generation GC really lacked a decent interior.

Ewww.

That's gross looking. I really don't like the direction new car design is taking. The current GC is ok, but the one before that was fantastic looking.

Ewww.

That's gross looking. I really don't like the direction new car design is taking. The current GC is ok, but the one before that was fantastic looking.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

No, that should be the minimum.

Sorry...I didn't mean that this jump should have been smaller, I meant it as there should have been more, smaller steps along the way.

Sorry...I didn't mean that this jump should have been smaller, I meant it as there should have been more, smaller steps along the way.

Idiot EPA and DOT certification processes make that difficult/expensive to do.

Every time I look at the front, it looks like it's body is lifted higher than the chassis of the truck. I can't get used to that...it's like how a too-small hard-hat would sit above someone too-big head.

The air suspension in action

http://img2.imageshack.**/img2/5161/2011jeepgcstairs1071086.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/5189/2011jeepgcstairs1871341.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.**/img8/4826/2011jeepgcstairs1971573.jpg

Looks better than the current one. Hopefully it will work properly offroad too.

Why are they making them rounded. I don't like rounded SUVS they are supposed to be square.

I like them more square too though I do like the WJ and that's not very square either. But let's be honest, they make them for moms and Hummer fever is passing if not passed already.

You know, on those last 2 pics it actually looks pretty damn good.

Certainly a step up from the previous Grand Cherokees, it's more like a budget Land Rover at this stage in the game.

Once again, Ford, please, for the love of god, buy Jeep!

I like the tech they've crammed in there, but the styling meh. The exterior I think would be fine in the right colors; black, true silver, gray, and dark blue. The other colors like that pinky earth tone silver would probably = vomit. The interior needs some fire applied to it along with the designer who chose the materials.