Random Thoughts....

So I've always wondered... what's up with the doctor icon under Blind_Io's name?

Here's a long-ish random thought: I'm done with being fat. I thought about opening a separate thread for this, but then again, I'd likely wouldn't keep you updated over time. And I can still open a thread if I feel the need to later on. So anyway...

I love to eat. The good stuff. Pizza. Loads of meat. Everything that's bad for me. Also, I've never learned to eat correctly. Meals have never had boundaries. So more than once, I eat until I'm ready to burst. Also, I'm lazy. I don't do any kind of sports. Since I don't drink or smoke I am kind of healthy, but still I am fat. I don't look that fat, because my body arranges its storage facilities all over my surface. But the scale doesn't lie: 120 kgs.

But now I'm done. I'm not getting younger, and the weight isn't exactly good for my body. I've already been there a few years ago: 90 kgs. Not super-slim, but okay for 187 cm height. I made a self-made crash diet and lost 16 kgs in 4 months. That's roughly 1 kilo a week. I didn't even have yoyo-effect as an aftermath. But I started to eat again, so over the years, it all came back.

The thing is ... my body can burn this fat quite easily. A bit of control at eating here, a bit of sports there. So now, I'm going for the main course: get thin and stay there. Problem being: I know that I'm not the all-healthy vegetable guy. And I can't ... won't go to the gym every day. That's just not me. I can probably do that for a while, but I know I'll hate it. But I've already come up with a solution: intelligent dieting.

Again, I thought of this by myself. Actually, it couldn't be easier. I won't switch off eating the good stuff completely, because it's unrealistic. Neither am I going to work out for hours every day, because it's unrealistic. What I'll do is just bite off what I can chew. Make small steps. Steps I can live with, and live well. And here's how it works:

Eat intelligently:
- dodge the additionall stuff that bears the real calories (gravy and stuff)
- eat the usual things, but in reasonable sizes
- eat sweets in tight moderation to avoid ravenous appetite

Drink intelligently:
- stretch calorie-heavy drinks (Coke) with water and a bit of lemon
- swap calorie-heavy thirst quenchers for light stuff
- just drink a bit of water from the standpipe now and then

Do sports:
- just a little bit every day: 15 mins on the bike or the treadmill (these actual lines are being written while I am on the exercise bike)
- don't sit around all day, walk some stairs, walk instead of drive there

All sounds pretty weak, right? But I promise you, in combination, these things rock. I've been doing this for maybe week now, and I'm already feeling it. I feel fitter, my belly got a few tiny dents where the fat literally starts to melt away. And the most important bit: once I have reached the weight I want to keep, these are things I can live with. I don't really have to suffer, I don't really have to do without anything I love. It's like diet 2.0. No more slim shake crap. No more salad and groceries. Just an intelligently designed "diet", and I'm good to go. In the end, it's a very simple equation: less calories in, more calories out.

I'm not sure why I needed to tell you all this, I just felt like I had to...

Cheers
der Interzeptor

Weight is just a number, you still need to eat healthy things and exercise to keep your body in good condition. If you ate healthy and exercised whenever possible, you would be in much better shape than if you just controlled your portions. Since you aren't making drastic changes, there's nothing really stopping you from going back to your old eating style. Plus since you are eating the same things you were eating before, you still won't be getting the proper nutrition that your body needs.

the Interceptor

My tip for success - take it or leave it. ...

Dodge the sugar is my no 1 tip, avoid beer and eat biggest meal in the AM next in the PM and least at night - and stick to three meals per day if possible - NO SNACKS. Have a target weight and once you hit it start to include some treats, but keep a check that you are not going up in weight then, if so cut back again. Only weigh yourself once a fortnight (useful trick that).

Weight is just a number, you still need to eat healthy things and exercise to keep your body in good condition. If you ate healthy and exercised whenever possible, you would be in much better shape than if you just controlled your portions. Since you aren't making drastic changes, there's nothing really stopping you from going back to your old eating style. Plus since you are eating the same things you were eating before, you still won't be getting the proper nutrition that your body needs.
Let me put it like this: I'll never be completely fit and healthy. It's unrealistic, I love living a good life too much for that. That's exactly what my diet 2.0 is about. It's not really a diet, it's just the small step I can stay happy and lose weight with. That's also the reason why I don't need to go back to my old eating habits - because I don't really renounce the things I love. If I were to change the things I eat completely, I wouldn't be happy anymore. That's why there would be a day where I would just go back. With the above, I don't need to do that. That's the very trick.
If I may, I'd like to add that I do avoid the truly heavy stuff and sometimes swap evil things for better ones. But I won't switch my nutrition to a perfectly healthy plan, because that's not me. But hey - never say never! ;)

the Interceptor

My tip for success - take it or leave it. ...

Dodge the sugar is my no 1 tip, avoid beer and eat biggest meal in the AM next in the PM and least at night - and stick to three meals per day if possible - NO SNACKS. Have a target weight and once you hit it start to include some treats, but keep a check that you are not going up in weight then, if so cut back again. Only weigh yourself once a fortnight (useful trick that).
I know, I try to avoid sugar where it is, or at least make sure the amount is very limited. Beer is no problem - I don't drink at all, so no beer for me either. Three meals per day is set anyway, and nothing too heavy at dinner. No snacks also, yet a little bit of sweets after lunch now and then. If I don't do that, I know I will develop a ravenous appetite one day and then just eat them all at once. So I rather take it in small and controlled doses.

My main point is this: I can keep this up forever, because I'm not restraining myself from anything so badly that it drags me down. I simply introduced some control and some intelligence. Most diets don't work because people can't keep them up as long as they should. I want to make that better.

Last edited:
Not a diet; a lifestyle I am afraid, if you are one of these people who put weight on easily. ... If you have to have sugar try using brown in stead of white where possible. Cut it out from tea and Coffee all together - you will be surprised how quickly you get used to that.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't even put on weight that easily. I just ate way too much and basically didn't move at all before.

As for the sugar, I already mostly use artificial sweetener, in my tea for example. The times where I actually use normal sugar are very rare. I used to drink quite a lot of Coke though, which basically is raw sugar.

Another funny thing I discovered is that things actually taste better when you eat less. As long as I was eating so much bad stuff, my body was used to it. Now, my body looks forward to every meal, so I can enjoy it much more than I did before.

Where's the "do-over" button for life?
I want to start again, do a better job, hopefully get a better result....

Here's a long-ish random thought: I'm done with being fat. I thought about opening a separate thread for this, but then again, I'd likely wouldn't keep you updated over time. And I can still open a thread if I feel the need to later on. So anyway...

(snip)

I'm not sure why I needed to tell you all this, I just felt like I had to...

Cheers
der Interzeptor

I am aiming to do the same thing. I am not unhealthy, I love to eat salads and "rabbit food" as much as I love the unhealthy stuff. Only thing is I have noticed a lot of my clothes becoming tighter over time, gradually until one pair of work pants is now constantly uncomfortable to wear. I have also found myself forgoing the salads in favour of burgers more and more often as my willpower wanes.
I am about 175 cm tall and I weigh around 65 kgs. Heaps of people tell me I am so skinny and beautiful and all, but my body image isn't the issue here, it's my overall fitness. I am really unhealthy, running 100 metres wears me out and I can't do half the stuff I used to be able to do when I did all sorts of physical activity. I am going to start eating a lot healthier, but sill enjoying myself too (eg modifying my favourite meals so they still taste good but are healthier). I'm also going to start swimming more (which will also help my back) and do more walking and bike riding.

Only problem is, my parents refuse to accept the fact that I want to do all of this to become healthier and think I am developing an unhealthy obsession with my weight. Therefore, they refuse to buy me any of the things I request, such as a set of bathroom scales (instead telling me I can go by how my clothes fit if I want to do this so much). For god's sakes, I am smart enough to recognise my limits as far as any weight loss I may have and if anything, want to maintain my weight, but have more muscle weight instead of fat!!!
All of this of course means more money out of my pocket, which is something that really annoys me. I have to go without all luxuries in order to do this good thing for myself because the parents refuse again? I'm still motivated though, for my own benefit.

And we should have a thread or a group for the FG-ers who want to become healthier where we can share tips and stuff :)

Yes, I am guilty of that! :spam:

Therefore, they refuse to buy me any of the things I request, such as a set of bathroom scales
Well. In my opinon scale is the most useless thing when you are trying to get in shape. Your weight has little to do how good of a shape you are in. Muscle is more dense so it weighs more than fat. Besides at 65kg, you don't probably want to lose that much weight anyway, you would probably better of converting some fat to muscle. Mirror is a much better way of checking your progress, if you look leaner and better you are going the right way, no matter what the scale says you are weighing.
My tip really is that instead of scale you should invest in a set of dumbbells and a mirror.

i'm sitting here watching my mum and aunt play guitar hero 4 while my granny browses her facebook on her laptop...

Well. In my opinon scale is the most useless thing when you are trying to get in shape. Your weight has little to do how good of a shape you are in. Muscle is more dense so it weighs more than fat. Besides at 65kg, you don't probably want to lose that much weight anyway, you would probably better of converting some fat to muscle. Mirror is a much better way of checking your progress, if you look leaner and better you are going the right way, no matter what the scale says you are weighing.
My tip really is that instead of scale you should invest in a set of dumbbells and a mirror.

the scales are more of a motivational thing, and yeah, my main aim is to move the majority of my weight from my stomach and that as fat to more suitable places as muscle.
Oh well, I'll just avoid the extras my mum loves to put on our food and eat a lot healthier when working. I get heaps of incidental exercise there so I won't need to hours and hours of walking and that, just the toning stuff like you said :)

I'm not totally sold on scales either, especially for motivation. It may well happen that it shows more although you thought you had lost weight. Scales aren't very precise, and your momentarily weight is not that tightly connected to the amount of fat in your body. Basically, that number only is the cover of a book you might want to read. But if you're being put off by that number because it doesn't resemble your efforts, you have a problem.

I think I misphrased it. By motivation, i mean something tangible sitting around to remind me "Oh, don't order that triple cheeseburger today, go for a salad", not "oh! I've lost 50 grams in 3 hours!!!!". So they are kind of a reminder of what I am doing- I doubt I would even use them more than once every month or so (yes, I know that's a waste of cash, but if they motivate me they're worth it)

Believe me, i am very aware of how inaccurate scales are. They told me I was trhe same weight for 3 years straight then 5 kgs heavier within 3 days about 8 years ago... still don't have a clue how they managed to get that wrong that badly (this was a gradual 5 kg gain, beleive me)