Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

Last edited:
From the KERS thread:
I don't know, going by that theory, the drivers should be given back a clutch pedal and a manual 'box.

(I'd be all up for that by the way)

I tend to agree, after Vettel had to retire in Malaysia only because his antistall didn't work when he spun out in the rain. After the race he said something to the extent of "if we just had a regular clutch, I'd have just pressed that to stop the engine stalling and returned to the track".
Apparently not an unknown issue, since it already happened to him in Melbourne during practice iirc?

I seriously hope the FIA don't give in to the cry baby-ness of the F1 teams. Just cause they didn't see the loop hole in the rules doesn't mean those who did should be punished for it. Make em all build similar defusers and get it over with.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090412173729.shtml

Adrian Sutil has hinted that Lewis Hamilton's seemingly perpetual run-in with F1's governing body could be a case of racism.

As the latest scandal - dubbed 'lie-gate' by the media - occupies the Formula One world, the reigning World Champion's closest friend on the grid expressed concern about constant controversies involving Hamilton.

German Sutil, 26, who was the Briton's F3 teammate in 2005, believes Hamilton is "sick" of falling on the wrong side of the FIA's attentions.

"I have no idea how he has got so many punishments," he is quoted as telling his column in the Dutch Formule 1 Race Report.

"Slowly you start to ask yourself why it always happens to him. Is it his skin colour?" Sutil wondered.
I... how can... is he... what..... speechless.

I understand Sutil is Hamilton's best mate... but this is like adding more fat to the fire... I don't think Lewis would want to have to deal with another can of worms right now. :\

(I'm not saying that racism should be ignored or tolerated in any way, but there's a time and place for things, and I just don't think Hamilton would want to have to deal with more speculation right now...)

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090412172206.shtml

Stewart to Brawn: don't sack Barrichello for Hamilton

Brawn GP should not sack Rubens Barrichello in favour of reigning World Champion Lewis Hamilton, Sir Jackie Stewart has warned.

Ahead of McLaren's appearance on sporting fraud charges at the World Motor Sport Council later this month, it is speculated that a negative result could cause Hamilton to quit the British team.

It is becoming clear that - if found guilty on the disrepute charge - the most likely sanction for McLaren is suspension for multiple races, which could also trigger the 24-year-old and his furious father and manager Anthony's departure.

The only team linked with the potentially on-the-market Hamilton so far is the dominant Brawn, already powered by McLaren's engine partner Mercedes-Benz, who are annoyed about the scandal so soon after the 'spy-gate' saga of 2007.

With Jenson Button leading the World Championship, it is suggested amongst the speculation that the most likely Brawn driver to move over for Hamilton would be the veteran Rubens Barrichello.

But Stewart, who between 1997 and 1999 employed the Brazilian racer at his own F1 team, said: "Rubens is very experienced in the setting up of the car, Lewis is not."

"And Ross (Brawn) needs that knowledge right now because of the ban on in-season testing," he added.

:blink:

Good to know, Jackie.

:|

Noooo. :|

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74445

Sepang open to night race idea

By Jonathan Noble Monday, April 13th 2009, 10:57 GMT

Malaysian Grand Prix chiefs have softened their resistance to making their event a night race in the wake of the problems caused by this year's twilight event.

With race organisers, drivers and teams questioning whether the 5pm starts at the Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix were of benefit because of safety issues, there is now a possibility that Sepang could shift to being run under floodlights.

Sepang circuit chairman Datuk Mokhzani Mahathir has told the New Strait Times that his track was open to moving the start of next year's race in whichever direction Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone demands.

"After every race, we have discussions with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to see where we can improve," he said. "The question of having the race earlier or at night will be finalised soon."

However, with F1 likely to take on board the lessons of MotoGP's season opening night race in Qatar getting postponed because of rain, Mahathir has admitted that holding an after dark race may not please everyone.

"What if it rains at 3pm? And what if it rains at night? The raindrops would reflect the floodlights which would in turn affect the visibility of the drivers.

"And then again there were objections to holding the race at night because they wanted the skyline to be visible during racing. How will the skyline be visible if we have the race at night? So there must be a balance for everything."

Mahathir has said, however, that if F1 bosses want a night race then he believes Sepang would be able to cover the ?5.6 million costs.

"We can recover the cost by renting out the track for other events," he said. "In fact, it had cost over RM300 million to build the track and we have recovered the amount."

"After every race, we have discussions with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to see where we can improve," he said.
What a stupid idea. They must not read the news.

I just read the MotoGP race being postponed to Monday and I'm just wondering if it rains during an F1 night race like it did in Qatar, then how are they going to run the race?

Speaking of race timings, apparently Abu Dhabi is considering a 'unique' start time for their race... I have no idea what that even means. Is it going to be another twilight race? A morning race? A midnight race? :dunno:

Perhaps running in diffrent times in four parrallel universes at the same time and in one superior dimension where there is no Bernie.

Speaking of race timings, apparently Abu Dhabi is considering a 'unique' start time for their race... I have no idea what that even means. Is it going to be another twilight race? A morning race? A midnight race? :dunno:

Yeah, I was wondering about that 'unique' start time too... Starting in the afternoon is not unique, an evening race with lights is not unique anymore, and what would be the point in starting the race in the morning?

^ It's all marketing, my friends. All marketing.

I doubt the Hamilton/Rubens thing will be decided this soon. If (IF) Hammy leaves and some teams are open for positions, it'll only be announced at the end of the season.

And I seriously doubt all this is to do with McLaren being McLaren or Hammy being a Negro. It's the simple fact that McLaren blatently tried to cover up their actions and mislead the Stewards. It could have been Ferrari, or Toyota or BMW Sauber or whatever. I think people just tend to read too much into these things. The people at WMSC are adults. And I believe that to rise to the position that they hold in WMSC requires some extent of intelligence and maturity.