Cuba

Dogbert

Helsinki Smash Rod
Car(s)
Roger Dean's Rocks
... and the United States. Obama wants to loosen restrictions on family visits and remittances, and will bring this up during the week as he travels around Latin America.

Is it time to just end the 47 year old embargo on the country? Is it all just useless posturing between our countries at this point?

Last edited:
Yes, and it was long ago - MAFIA & United fruit Company plus loads of Cuban exiles are all making US foreign policy because US voter does not care about foreign affairs - or am I wrong?

When I saw your TV I caught two interviewees trying to make global points who were shut up by the interviewer - Lou Dobbs for one. Why? Because it turns Americans off. ...

Anyhoo CUBA why are they the last (nearly) Communist country in the world - well apart from the obvious that CASTRO is still in there?

Last edited:
Its been so long already, they'll probably just wait until Fidel dies before making major policy changes.

But to answer your question, yes we should end the embargo.

We should end the embargo for one reason: Classic cars. The American market would love to get its hands on the cars present in Cuba, and the Cubans who own them would love to get their hands on some American $ in return. The longer we maintain this embargo, the more of those beautiful cars will be turned into hoverboats or whatever shit Cubans use to get to Miami.

DUH

Canadians have been vacationing in Cuba for ages while clueless Americans have been shaking in their boots about it because of what the government brainwashed them to believe decades ago.

The US should have just made it a territory or state after kicking the Spanish out. Instead they took the Philippines which required more effort to pacify than it took to win the Spanish-American War.

Anyhow. The embargo is worthless. Open trade. There is no reason to boycott them. Free trade will also lessen their communist leanings (especially with Fidel on the way out).

Anyhow. The embargo is worthless. Open trade. There is no reason to boycott them. Free trade will also lessen their communist leanings (especially with Fidel on the way out).
Ditto. I see no need to continue the embargo. Cuba isn't a threat, they're not going to somehow export communism, and all the embargo does is give Hugo Chavez something more to rant about.

I'm actually struggling to think of anyone who would even consider lifting the embargo a blip on their radar. Holdover McCarthyists maybe, but otherwise, I think Somali pirates would still make more news coverage on CNN.

Yeah, there didn't even seem to be much attention to Fidel stepping down, or his Raul shuffling his subordinates.

I'm actually struggling to think of anyone who would even consider lifting the embargo a blip on their radar. Holdover McCarthyists maybe, but otherwise, I think Somali pirates would still make more news coverage on CNN.

The only people who care are some of the extreme right and Cuban refuges in Florida. The latter being a powerful voting block.

Communism has done a pretty good job killing itself, hasn't it.

The only people who care are some of the extreme right and Cuban refuges in Florida. The latter being a powerful voting block.
This^ Cuba and the Embargo is a huge issue in Florida, specifically with the large number of Cuban refugees who are a very powerful voting block. More importantly, it's a group that the D's have had a hard time getting traction with. If POTUS wants to carry FL in his reelection than this is a very tenuous project to approach in his first term as it would almost certainly tie up FL for the R's.

This^ Cuba and the Embargo is a huge issue in Florida, specifically with the large number of Cuban refugees who are a very powerful voting block. More importantly, it's a group that the D's have had a hard time getting traction with. If POTUS wants to carry FL in his reelection than this is a very tenuous project to approach in his first term as it would almost certainly tie up FL for the R's.

Which I don't understand. Why wouldn't refugee's want travel restrictions lifted so that their friends and family can leave Cuba for the US legally? I don't get it.

Remember that most Cuban refugees left everything behind in Cuba. When Castro took over, even modest middle class people were often forced to run for their lives with little more than the shirts on their backs.

The point of the embargo was to maintain pressure on the Cuban government by denying them what had been until that time a massive amount of American money both from the standpoint of business but tourism as well.

Cuba remains a totalitarian regime that eliminates people that it considers a risk to itself without any form of due process.

Lifting the embargo will ensure the current regime stays in power. Is that what we want?

Steve

Lifting the embargo will ensure the current regime stays in power. Is that what we want?

But evidently, the embargo didn't really work in removing the current regime from power either so far...

But evidently, the embargo didn't really work in removing the current regime from power either so far...

Exactly. At the top of my mind, I can't think of any embargo etc. that has been successful in recent history. It hurts the population more than anything.

Many Cubans in the United States would be ok with a lift on the embargo but with stipulations that the Cuban government open up the secret prisons and make other concessions.