Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

the Nissan 350z convertible has the ugliest rear end known to man. Also the indicators are way too big and clunky, are in a stupid place and ruin the whole car

Almost... I think the 370Z is even uglier.

This car just doesn't appeal to me... I was blown away when I first saw one on the streets (I even remember the colour and exactly where I saw it even though it's been so long), but the looks quickly went sour for me. It's just weird from every angle, except maybe the front which looks horribly boring compared to the rest of the whacked out design.

Were older Z cars so unconventional looking when they were new?

Last edited:
Starting with the Z31, yes. And we all know how radical a departure from the norm the Z32 was.

So today I was skipping through the classifieds of the most recent issue of one of my favorite magazines and what suprisingly familiar sight greeted me?

http://img13.imageshack.**/img13/2160/olds.jpg

IT LIVES!

"Interior needs perfecting"

That right there is my new favorite description of a car. :lol:

"Interior needs perfecting"

That right there is my new favorite description of a car. :lol:

My favorite was from a local classified "Immaculate condition. Does not run".

Heh, he's wrong about what the engine is out of unless he's swapped it. That should have the last of the Olds V8s in it.

I'd say that means what cars he's interested in part exchanging it to, not which engine the car has.

If that's so, the owner is more of a moron than I thought.

Who the HELL would willingly buy a Beretta????

My favorite was from a local classified "Immaculate condition. Does not run".

I once saw: "No Rust.... *rest of ad* ... Rust bubbles starting for form around windows" WHAT????

I saw my first Nissan GT-R R35 yesterday. It was sitting in a traffic jam at standstill. It was also ugly as hell. That is all

I saw one today too... looks so much like the G35 from some angles, which sucks because given it's so ugly it could at least look unique.

Why can't the weather be better dammit! I have the pleasure of thrashing around a Mini Cooper convertible next week, and it looks like I won't be able to use the convertible part of the car... arh!

is it true what convertible owners say? That if you drive quick enough, the splash from the rain goes over your head and you stay dry?

I saw my first Nissan GT-R R35 yesterday. It was sitting in a traffic jam at standstill. It was also ugly as hell. That is all

Saw a grey one on the US highway about 3 month ago, and I have to agree with you. It does look rather bland and..... funky.

You know, after sleeping on it I don't think that X-Terra is right for me. It's a great car, but there are too many "ifs" in the equation.

Back to looking at older 4Runners, Tacomas (still haven't found one) and Rangers.

If I was buying the truck, I would go for a double-cab "pickup" over an SUV. They tend to be simpler and a bit easier to work on.

Is the Tacoma what's called the Hilux in Britain? If so it's a decent truck. Indestructable as we all know. Frontiers, as Spectre suggested are basically just as durable and reliable.

I have no idea if this will be of any use to you however, until you get the idiots at Honda NA to work out the odometer problem.

If I was buying the truck, I would go for a double-cab "pickup" over an SUV. They tend to be simpler and a bit easier to work on.

Is the Tacoma what's called the Hilux in Britain? If so it's a decent truck. Indestructable as we all know. Frontiers, as Spectre suggested are basically just as durable and reliable.

The Tacoma is related to the HiLux and they share body panels, but the Tacoma frame is significantly different and is considered to be much much weaker. The Tacoma also continues to have front end and suspension problems. Part of why I switched my "small truck" 'allegiance' from Toyota to Nissan - the Tacoma is a sick joke compared to the old "Pickup" aka HiLux, they "dumbed it down" and cheapened it for the US market after 1995 and called it the Tacoma.

Meanwhile over at Nissan, the Frontier is the same awesome little truck no matter where it's sold. It's also sold as the Fiera, Terrano, Hardbody 2 and Navara with the only changes being the addition of locally required equipment and the engines. No chassis changes, no suspension changes.

I have no idea if this will be of any use to you however, until you get the idiots at Honda NA to work out the odometer problem.

Unfortunately I can't afford a double-cab Tacoma, but I would love the "Access Cab" with the suicide door and the jumpseats in the back.

The Tacoma is related to the HiLux and they share body panels, but the Tacoma frame is significantly different and is considered to be much much weaker. The Tacoma also continues to have front end and suspension problems. Part of why I switched my "small truck" 'allegiance' from Toyota to Nissan - the Tacoma is a sick joke compared to the old "Pickup" aka HiLux, they "dumbed it down" and cheapened it for the US market after 1995 and called it the Tacoma.

Meanwhile over at Nissan, the Frontier is the same awesome little truck no matter where it's sold. It's also sold as the Fiera, Terrano, Hardbody 2 and Navara with the only changes being the addition of locally required equipment and the engines. No chassis changes, no suspension changes.

The HiLux was a great truck; making it less reliable and weaker for the sake of cost would seem to be an iffy business strategy to me. But what do I know?:lol:

I haven't been in a Frontier, is it similar to an old 90's HiLux? They look quite the same, but I have no idea about the mechanics in the Frontier.

EDIT: ^Are you looking particularly for low-mileage? Early-90's Toyota pickups tend to go for cheap.

Last edited:
is it true what convertible owners say? That if you drive quick enough, the splash from the rain goes over your head and you stay dry?

Doesn't work. I tried it with my customer's Z4 roadster, had the roof down and I was soaking wet in no time.

I'm never going to try it again, and it wasn't even raining hard, just a slight drizzle.

I was hoping for post-2000. Now I think I will end up keeping the ******* Honda until the ***** **** wheels fall the **** off, then I will buy a Tacoma, drag the ******* Honda out to the desert, set it on fire and shoot it.