Honda North America can go **** a **** while *****ing a **** *** *****

I'm not done with this yet, I will continue to try to remedy the problem. However, even if the dealership fixes the problem, that does not excuse the response from Honda North America. I will certainly give full credit to the dealership if they fix the problem.

However, even if the dealer does fix the problem, I will still be pissed off at Honda North America for leaving me to twist. I will not turn down the life-raft of the dealer if they choose to make it right.

I'd give Honda NA one more shot - it's possible you just got their one TC. Ask for a supervisor and explain your case again.

Wow blind, that really sucks. I thought Honda would be better than that. Toyota dealers here send out all odometers for recalibration before refitting it to the vehicle and, if its a warrenty repair, are rembursed by Toyota Australia via the warrenty process.

That is very poor on Honda NA's behalf.

Wow, what terrible service by Honda NA. Sorry to hear of it Dave.

Really hope you're able to get a positive outcome on this one. Keep us updated.

You are also correct in stating that just because you got fucked, doesn't give you the right to fuck somene else in return.

Good luck mate!

it's weird that being TOTALLY honest about this is what got you into trouble in the first place... usually it's when you DON'T that the shit hits the fan...

Fuck, people, where are your morals?
This. Even when I sell a car for parts I'll tell the buyer everything I know is wrong with it. I'd rather have someone walk away than come back later saying I screwed them. Not disclosing a mileage discrepancy isn't only illegal ... it's a real dick thing to do.

I hope this works out for you Blind. If not, well, this is America. The land of lawsuits!

I will say that with gauge cluster replacements, it isnt uncommon for the door sticker to be a solution to the problem. I think the ford dealer is somewhat at fault here for getting cold feet for something that happens all the time.

Personally i would go to the nearest other ford dealer and play dumb consumer, "Yes sir, it is to the best of my knowlage that this car has 34,000mi, look at the speed wind-y thingy, it says that doesnt it?" :lol:

I'm lost here. Why can't you get the Steve bloke to do it for you? Have I missed something?

Meh, just offload it. Lots of cars have tampered odos.

Blind-Io apparently has morals that are severly lacking. I agree completely with Blind-Io, and the truth shall set you free of problems later and a clear conscience!

I know a guy that works at a recalibration center and he tells me that when a vehicle comes in for repairs to the cluster and the milage is changed they put a sticker on the vehicle. This would of course be deiffernet for your situation(if it was done correctly) and it would simply be made to mirror the milage on the original odometer. So if you get it fixed now it may end up with two stickers on it, further confusing the issue....

Although I hope you can convince the Honda dealer to set things right.

Meh, just offload it. Lots of cars have tampered odos.

Lots of people deal heroin to kids, can I do that too?

Look, for the last time:

NO!

I WILL NOT FUCK SOMEONE JUST BECAUSE I GOT FUCKED.

End of story. Period. No discussion. It's immoral and wrong and I will not perpetuate this problem. Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ people, don't you see that such an attitude is what is wrong with the world?

I can't change your perceptions on life, but I swear I will neg-rep into fucking oblivion the next person that suggests I unload the car in a less than fully honest manner. You have been warned: Stop advocating shitty underhanded dealing.

Put yourself in the position of the buyer, how would you like me to sell you my car with "33K" on the clock only to find out that you bought a car that actually has 68,000 miles? You would be on the board bitching about it faster than you can rub out a wet wank.

Last edited:
On top of which, in the US it is stupidly easy to get caught trying to lie about the odometer - so why take the risk of jail time?!?!?!?!

Jesus-titty-fucking-Christ people, don't you see that such an attitude is what is wrong with the world?

No, they don't.

Last edited:
I wanted to give you rep for that, but I can't at the moment. :(

Also, I absolutely agree. How can I complain that I'm being fucked with when the next thing I do is turn around and do just that? It's wrong, plain and simple.

On top of which, in the US it is stupidly easy to get caught trying to lie about the odometer - so why take the risk of jail time?!?!?!?!

The fact that it's illegal is only a side point for me. Even if it wasn't illegal it's still wrong.

The fact that it's illegal is only a side point for me. Even if it wasn't illegal it's still wrong.

I was pointing out that even if their moral code allowed such activity (which it shouldn't), the threat of jail and quality time with Bubba the AIDS-infected homosexual rapist should have deterred them.

I wanted to give you rep for that, but I can't at the moment. :(

Luckily I can ;)

the Interceptor said:
Also, I absolutely agree. How can I complain that I'm being fucked with when the next thing I do is turn around and do just that? It's wrong, plain and simple.

This. I can not stress enough how much I loathe the people here who suggested Blind to blatantly go and screw over some othre fairminded bloke. Huge props for him for actually standing up straight and wanting to do the right thing. Such a rare sight these days.

Well the whole situation is a bit inconvenient, but I don't see why it's such a big deal.
First of all I don't see how does it affect the price of the car, since every other used car has the odo manipulated and your car has at least got the original mileage indicated on the door and verified by the dealer. It's still lazyness on the dealer's side, but it's a common practice. Wasn't the salesman just using it as an excuse to negotiate a lower price?

Anyway, you can go the dealership and get the mileage set properly by them. If they refuse, ask any guy with a laptop and the right cord to change it for you for a few bucks. Problem solved.

Either way, I don't see what the car maker has to do with the quality of the repairs performed by a dealership, particularly if the problem was discovered years later, it's a matter of the customer and the dealer.

Well the whole situation is a bit inconvenient, but I don't see why it's such a big deal.
First of all I don't see how does it affect the price of the car, since every other used car has the odo manipulated and your car has at least got the original mileage indicated on the door and verified by the dealer. It's still lazyness on the dealer's side, but it's a common practice. Wasn't the salesman just using it as an excuse to negotiate a lower price?

No, the Ford dealer said that the reason the price was below wholesale was because of the odometer. They wanted that Civic, they wanted it bad until the odometer issue came up. Maybe in your world $3,000 is "inconvenient" but in mine, it's the difference between affording a vehicle and having to ask my friend to tow my bikes and haul my shit from California to Utah.

Anyway, you can go the dealership and get the mileage set properly by them. If they refuse, ask any guy with a laptop and the right cord to change it for you for a few bucks. Problem solved.

You really haven't been paying attention, have you? Also, you have no idea how odometers work. You can't just plug in a laptop and change the mileage. Also, any changes to an odometer must take place at a certified shop and there is loads of documentation about it. The law, read it.

Either way, I don't see what the car maker has to do with the quality of the repairs performed by a dealership, particularly if the problem was discovered years later, it's a matter of the customer and the dealer.

Except the dealer said they were following Honda North America procedure and it was the dealer who said to call HNA. HNA could have said that the dealer fucked up the repair and directed them to fix it, but they didn't. They said that a sticker on the door instead of resetting the odometer to the proper mileage (something that is entirely possible to do) is their standard of service and that they would not take any steps to remedy the situation.

If someone fixed your car under warranty and years later you found out that they botched it up, and that the repair cost you $3,000 down the road (while the car is still under an extended warranty through the dealer that did the repair) wouldn't you want them to fix the problem and restore the car to it's proper state? Wouldn't you be just a tad pissed off if they lied to you about the repair?

Go look at your bank balance. Subtract $3,000. That's what Honda is costing me right now.

Guys, I have bought enough cars to tell you that even if the sticker is there, even if a Carfax could show the odometer discrepancy - the place you are truly fucked is before you are even done signing everything. You have to sign an odometer statement swearing that the mileage on the form is true to the best of your knowledge. The moment they print it out with the wrong mileage on it and you SIGN IT you are done.

I agree with the above comment about consumerist.com. If it gets posted on their site I would be shocked if they didnt contact you directly to fix it. Bad PR costs them way more than small claims court or fixing the problem like you have asked.

Have you tried other dealerships, or tried to trade the car in at another car lot?