Autoblog: Panamera-based 928 sucessor?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Despite previous reports to the contrary, new reports suggest that Porsche is indeed planning a front-engine coupe to fill the void left in its line-up by the old 928. The original front-engined V8 GT was built by Porsche in various iterations between 1978 and 1995 before it was dropped. Since news of the four-door Panamera's development began circulating, so did rumors of a two-door variant to pick up the 928's mantle, but now that the Panamera has made its official public debut in Shanghai, new accounts suggest that Stuttgart is working on it already.

In this case, according to UK magazine Auto Express, any potential 928 successor would run in parallel, not as a replacement to the 911 (natch). Expect a fastback profile and the mechanicals to carry over largely from the Panamera, while reportedly reduced demand for lower-end Porsches like the Boxster and Caymen would dictate that the new GT would be positioned significantly higher, taking aim at the likes of the Bentley Continental GT and Aston Martin DB9. Is there any truth to the reports? Only time will tell, but in the meantime we've assembled a new gallery with high-resolution images of the original Porsche 928 for your nostalgic reminiscence...just click the thumbnails below.

That Rumor has been around quite a while now ... and I can?t see Porsche adding a new car to the line just now.

Generally, I don?t know what to make of a new 928 ... wich was launched in the past in order to get rid of the flawed 911 (wich backfired quite a bit, adding to the 911 cultstatus) ... and I really liked it. If they try to bring it back, I would not only be afraid that they cock up and ruin the 928 Name ... but also that they would try to get rid of the 911 again ...

They wouldn't call it the 928. I am all for it, it would force them to redo the rear of the Panamericana.

Why have that when you can have a Cayman or 911 instead? I know it has a V8, but I can't see a mass appeal.

Last edited:
Why have that when you can have a Cayman or 911 instead? I know it has a V8, but I can't see a mass appeal.

I want a german front engine rear wheel drive machine that isnt a soulless performance appliance like a BMW.

I don?t know what you might want then, because "soulless performance appliance" kind of covers Porsche too, IMO.
Porsches never were that big on "passion" ...

You don't think that the guys who work at the Porsche factory are passionate about what they do?

You don't think that the guys who work at the Porsche factory are passionate about what they do?
No. And I hope not. I don?t think excitement does anything good on a production line. I?d rather they were concentrated ... than passionate.

Please don?t get me wrong, I like Porsche (in general) and one thing I like about them is that they don?t have these pretentions of flamboyance (or whatever you want to call it) that other Sportscar-manuf. have (or claim to have).

I have a bad feeling about this...back in the 70s Porsche were feeling all Funky and tried designing different vehicles.
They don't do that anymore. I have a feeling a new 928 will look just like a Cayman/911 but only have its engine in the front.

And why the 928 exactly? Why don't they make a new budget model - a new 944?

Why don't they make a new budget model - a new 944?

I think the Boxster already fills that slot, and anything more budget-y would probably seen as not fitting Porsche's 'premium' image of today I guess. :|

porsche_928_lars.jpg

Yes, it's a rendering, but still... :hmm:

I don't think this will ever happen, Porsche knows that the 911's design cues have such a strong identity to the marque, that they'll basically sell themselves to customers. So no need for a new design there, although armchair-experts would like to say otherwise...
Why don't they make a new budget model - a new 944?
That would be a second hand Porsche... A cheap(ish) car wouldn't fit into today's range...

Last edited:
I hope if they do make a new 928, they just barely restyle the old one instead of attempting a new look. Porsche design as of late is absolutely terrible when they can't just use their tracing paper.

A successor to the 928 sounds exciting to me. As much as I love all the 911 variants, and even the Caymen, I think they could do a good job on a front engine V8, as long as they don't cop out on it just so that the 911 stays the obvious choice with performance.

I want a german front engine rear wheel drive machine that isnt a soulless performance appliance like a BMW.

I don?t know what you might want then, because "soulless performance appliance" kind of covers Porsche too, IMO.

Yea studies have shown that all Porsches and BMWs produced in the last 10 years have, on average, 58% less soul than the industry average.

For German cars, they have the most passionate cars IMO. VW's a close second. Porsche is "above average" on the soul-o-meter.

Yea studies have shown that all Porsches and BMWs produced in the last 10 years have, on average, 58% less soul than the industry average.

WAAAAT?! What's the industry average, then? Aston Martin? Maserati? Look at all the soulless cars we get from American companies, and from Japan, and the rest of Asia (though it's getting better). I think Porsche are definitely above average. They may not look it, but when you drive them you can feel it. I mean, it's an ass engined car. How much more characteristic can you get?

Last edited:
WAAAAT?! What's the industry average, then? Aston Martin? Maserati? Look at all the soulless cars we get from American companies, and from Japan, and the rest of Asia (though it's getting better). I think Porsche are definitely above average. They may not look it, but when you drive them you can feel it. I mean, it's an ass engined car. How much more characteristic can you get?

You obviously don't understand true soul and passion. There was a recent survey taken by doctors that treated patients that owned a Porsche. 86% of the doctors said that they were unable to detect the soul of their patients and 93% said their patients were certainly passion deficient.

You obviously don't understand true soul and passion. There was a recent survey taken by doctors that treated patients that owned a Porsche. 86% of the doctors said that they were unable to detect the soul of their patients and said they were certainly passion deficient.

Please, while the trait of being impossible to save and a murderer is not desirable to some people, it definitely shows character.

all the soulless cars we get from American companies

2010-chevy-camaro-z28-front.jpg

chrysler%20300c%20srt%208%20niot.net1%20(1).JPG

Engineering masterpieces maybe not, but no soul? Come on. Boring? Certainly not!

Last edited:
If you believe a car has a soul you have problems. Cars that have "souls" tend to be heaps of shit.

Last edited: