Official WRC thread

If you want to win a rally or the whole championship, everythink has to bee right. Seb has the best car,best team, best co-driver and olso he is the best driver in rallying history.

He has one big advantage, he dont do any mistakes, he can drive on 99% all weekend and if its needed on some stages much more.

You're right about that, but I think if Petter was on the same team as Seb, he would be just as fast.

You're right about that, but I think if Petter was on the same team as Seb, he would be just as fast.

Look at his third place in a 3 year old Xsara. I think that speaks volume about him as a driver.

^ The commentator said something about some technical feature present on his old car but apparently not on the newer models, and that said feature may have helped him in the difficult road conditions on days 2 and 3 on Cyprus. Something about the differentials, I seem to remember.
But aside from that, Solberg is an amazing driver - he has a driver's title, after all...

Look at his third place in a 3 year old Xsara. I think that speaks volume about him as a driver.

Really, the fact that he was third mostly speaks volumes about state of rallying at the moment. After all, he lost almost two minutes to Loeb. The fact that he racked fastest stage times in that car while Loeb was still going at fair pace and Hirvonen was in full attack mode is much more impressive to me. Not only that but having looked at the results he was the fastest driver on saturday and sunday, beating Mikko by almost ten seconds and Loeb by nearly 30.

^ The commentator said something about some technical feature present on his old car but apparently not on the newer models, and that said feature may have helped him in the difficult road conditions on days 2 and 3 on Cyprus. Something about the differentials, I seem to remember.
But aside from that, Solberg is an amazing driver - he has a driver's title, after all...

Active diffs is the technical thing you're looking for. I doubt it makes any difference, I recall Petter saying that he asked Loeb about the diffs before Norway and Seb thought the newer passive versions are better.

So does S2000 dictate cylinder count? 2 liters is a lot if you go with a rotary engine.

So does S2000 dictate cylinder count? 2 liters is a lot if you go with a rotary engine.

Not sure whether they demand 4 cylinders as BMW used a six cylinder 320's in WTCC few years ago and those cars are also Super 2000 (though the circuit S2000 and rally S2000 differ). But I'm quite certain that rotaries are not allowed.

The technical rules are at www.fia.com, go there and dig it up if you want to. My comp does not like pdfs so I can't.

the rules say that the cylinder volume cannot exceed 2000cc
also 4, 5, or 6 cylinders can be used (they don't explicitly say, but those are the only that are mentioned)

Yea I read the rules and forgot to follow up :p. I suspect they aren't kosher. FIA hates innovation and creativity.

Rally Portugal is underway, and Jari-Matti did his customary crash yesterday. Although this time it was far, far scarier than anything he has managed so far:

[YOUTUBE]VrRNxB3i9rg[/YOUTUBE]

The in-car is really unnerving, and had they not hit the tree that stopped the car where it did there would have been plenty more downhill to go. Both Jari-Matti and codriver Miika are OK, though, which was the most important thing.

Gr?nholm started well in the Subaru, being on fourth after first day despite both him and codriver Timo Rautiainen being a bit rusty and making small msitakes but nevertheless, an impressive start. It'll be interesting to see how they'll do today as they don't have a major advantage in road position like yesterday.

Mikko Hirvonen took the early lead after Sebastien Loeb made an uncharacteristic error only 300 metres after the start of the very first stage and lost 20 seconds. Hirvonen kept that lead over the frenchman through the day. Meanwhile Dani Sordo started the event very well, held the lead for a while after Jari-Matti's exit and is now on second place, 15 seconds behind Hirvonen.

Hate to say this, because he has done some incredible driving, but Ford needs to replace Latvala. It doesn't matter how good a driver you are overall if you can't finish a rally.

You know watching day1 of Rally Portugal its feels like the rally days of old, I don't know what it is. Maybe the fact it is actually competitive and the crazy crash by Latvala was amazing.

new post for a different day:lol:, Day 2 was not as fun to watch as day 1. I hated to see Gronholm go out and in the process really handicap Petter. I however would like to see what Mikko could do in Sordo's car or maybe Loeb is just too good for anybody to really keep pace with.

Yea the Gronholm crash was disappointing. I don't see Loeb losing this one, the guy is just godly.

I guess today Loeb will control the rallye from first place as usual. Even with driving first, he'll probably be as fast as Hirvonen, at least. Everything else would be a welcome surprise.
Gr?nholm was disappointing. First driving slow to get pushed down in the running order, and then trying too hard...

Latvala's crash was quite scary, but I guess he an his co-driver were lucky that it didn't go down vertically at the place...

Well all and all a great rally even though it was another victory for the Loebot. It was a shame to see Matthew Wilson crash out so late but he drove well up to that point and appears to be improving. I wish there was video of Rautenbach's off, had to been spectacular for the car to burn:eek: (thinking about it a bit and maybe just the hot car ignited the dry grass?). Good race weekend, looking forward to Argentina and hoping Mikko can find his way onto the top step.

Has Sordo ever led a rally after the first day.

What was going on with Loebot? Several mistakes and stalls :|

Has Sordo ever led a rally after the first day.

What was going on with Loebot? Several mistakes and stalls :|

Dunno but Petter is only 2.6sec behind Loeb. I hope the Seb stalls a bit more on day2 :mrgreen:

Stunning drive from Petter in an underpowered car. Really great to see him on the limit.