Coming to San Francisco in a few days!

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs
Hi there,

I'll be coming for San Francisco in a few days for my school and was wondering if people who live there knew some places where I could stay for a few weeks really quite cheaply. My school is paying me the hotel for two weeks but then I stay until mid-June to assist the Apple WWDC and then leave to Peru :cool:

I hope I'll be able to meet some of you in the process ;-)

I'm afraid I'm not much help here, I'm getting ready to move soon and my place is a disaster (plus I'm not in SF proper).

However, if you want to get together for coffee or something while in the city, let me know.

Have fun in San Francisco. I try to get out there whenever I can, and it's a great city. There's so much to see and do. I've been 4 times in the last 2 years, and there are still things I want to see.

hope you have fun while you're here! Maybe I'll see ya at some point! I'm just across the bay!

When will all this be happening? I have to drive to LA tomorrow afternoon and won't be back all weekend.

Hi there,

I'll be coming for San Francisco in a few days for my school and was wondering if people who live there knew some places where I could stay for a few weeks really quite cheaply. My school is paying me the hotel for two weeks but then I stay until mid-June to assist the Apple WWDC and then leave to Peru :cool:

I hope I'll be able to meet some of you in the process ;-)

Are you actually staying in SF or somewhere in the general bay area? Many ppl say they're 'going to SF' when in fact they're actually working/staying in some suburban part of the bay area miles from SF. BART is reasonable public transit but if you dont have a car, youre most likely to stay in the area you are conducting your business.

For the first two weeks, I'll be staying in SF (near the Russian Hill Park) and for the following weeks it will be a case of "where I found somewhere to stay" :-D

I'll be arriving Sunday evening.

Last edited:
Former Bay Area resident here, who makes yearly trips back there.

I personally see nothing wrong with staying somewhere in the East Bay during the second part of your trip. BART is reasonably good if you avoid peak hours (just keep in mind that the last train out of the city is around midnight and the next won't be until 5~6 AM). Bring a jacket or sweatshirt. Yes, I know you're going in late spring, but it doesn't matter. Good restaurants to hit are North Beach Pizza in North Beach, Izumiya in Japan Town (I like the okonomi-yaki, but the sauce on it is very strong, so be warned), Sophie's Cr?pes right next to it (my favorite is order 'J': vanilla ice cream with banana slices, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce), and Spiazzo Cafe in West Portal (it is hands-down the best Italian restaurant I have ever been to. I almost feel bad mentioning it in a public post instead of a PM for fear of it getting too popular and crowded, but they deserve the business). As far as coffee is concerned, I liked Java Beach down by the ocean, and Blind_Io seems to really like Philz Coffee.

As far as museums go, there are plenty, like SF MOMA, de Young, the California Academy of Sciences, etc., but the one you absolutely must see, in my opinion, is the Exploratorium. It's the same sort of thing as the Palais de la d?couverte (hands-on science museum), but I've been to both and I think the Exploratorium is much better. For sights, Fisherman's Wharf is a bit tourist-trappy, but still fun to walk around, Golden Gate Park is a nice relaxing place to be (plus, it contains the de Young and Academy of Sciences) and is a nice walk to the beach, and Japan town is great, especially if you're an Anime fan. Oh, and when Top Gear went to San Francisco, they started off on Twin Peaks, which gives a great view of the city.

I hope you have a great time in San Francisco, and you'll see why some of us like it so much. :)

Gold Mountain in downtown Chinatown for good dimsum.

Go to Coit Tower (good scenic view of the SF peninsula, walk do not drive there)

also if you want to see Lombard street (aka most crooked street in the world) again walk, do not drive there.

Last edited:
There seem to be an endless number of things to see, good thing I have a month to spend ^^

I also plan a little trip to Cupertino (Apple fanboy...), is it easy to rent a car when you are 22? I've heard you need to be at least 25 :-/

There seem to be an endless number of things to see, good thing I have a month to spend ^^

I also plan a little trip to Cupertino (Apple fanboy...), is it easy to rent a car when you are 22? I've heard you need to be at least 25 :-/

A foreigner under the age of 25? No, it will not be easy or convinient to rent a car, i don't even know if they will rent to you, since you live outside of the country, if youre an irresponsible renter, its much more difficult for them to take legal action on you. Americans under the age of 25 have a difficult time to rent a car without putting down a LARGE cash deposit.

Why don't you get one of your travelmates to rent, or have a local friend drive you there?