Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Damn, that's brutal and very eerily similar to Edwards' hit today.

Someone's already done a Talladega Nights riff on this!

[youtube]yaKDngeSsq8[/youtube]

Last edited:
ITV won an award for formula 1 coverage?...

Surprisingly yes.

Personally I think it should have gone to BBC's Olympics coverage. The producer from the ITV F1 team even admitted it in the acceptance speech.

I got to plop down in a 250 GTO today. :thumbsup: The owner took it out in the rain for some lapping. Ballsy.

What an exquisite machine. The floor of the cabin is so thin you bend it just by resting your foot on it.

Last edited:
You bastard. :p Pics or ban.

I know this sounds totally cliche, but I didn't have my camera since it was raining so hard... I had my helmet in the trunk, I should have asked him for a ride. I bet he would have, he was a really nice dude that actually loved what he owned.

Last edited:
it's been 15 years (and 2 days) since Senna passed.... jesus.

Random fact: James Hunt hated the French.

I always knew I loved James Hunt.

I thought it was the amount of booze he drank, the insanely gorgeous women he was always photographed with, the ludicrous number of cigarettes he smoked while in his driving suit, and the ridiculous amount of times he drove an F1 car while hung over...

Now I know the real reason. :D

Now I know the real reason. :D

It just occured to me while watching the warm-up lap for the '90 Australian GP. He was talking about Prost's behaviour after the infamous incident at Suzuka, especially storming out of a drivers' briefing and refusing to appear in the 500th GP official photo of the living World Champions:

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2009/05/05/DSC_0624.jpg

(quick shot from the image pages of "Life of Senna")

And he called "Bullshit" live on air on Rene Arnoux's late-career excuses, and he might have also called Philippe Alliot a "bloody idiot" also live on air.

I got to plop down in a 250 GTO today. :thumbsup: The owner took it out in the rain for some lapping. Ballsy.

What an exquisite machine. The floor of the cabin is so thin you bend it just by resting your foot on it.

Damn hax...

How was the noise? I demand more information of said experience in 250 GTO.

Damn hax...

How was the noise? I demand more information of said experience in 250 GTO.

The noise was amazing, but on the track it was a little bit overshadowed by Maserati 250s and an Alfa Romeo grand prix car from the early 50s that sounded absolutely thunderous. Anywhere else it would have stole the show. This was at the Ferrari Challenge at Infineon.

The owner tells me that they had like 25 of the original 36 go around Laguna Seca a few months ago. That would have been something to see.

On the track it was pretty competent. Some of the older cars looked like they were about to break a hip, but not the GTO. As I said it was wet, and there was a big puddle at turn 10, they'd come through there at about 90 or 100 I'd wager, and then hit that puddle and spray everywhere. I was worried about the electrics but it seemed fine.

A lot of the older cars were going faster than the F430 challenge cars, including the GTO.

Inside there's just two small blue seats, they fit me pretty good. The steering wheel is, of course, burnished steel with light beachwood all around; it's super smooth to the touch. The seating position is almost like a Formula car, since the floor is absolutely flat. Everything's bare metal. The gauges are all very simple, there's no speedo and the rev counter goes to 10 thousand, but there's no red line. The owner told me they can do about 160 or 170 at Phillip Island.

Pic of it the day I was there:

3496155928_765d9085da_o.jpg

Last edited:
^ The best example of the advantages you get as a professional racing driver... :) It must have been one mother of an experience in something so historic and so valuable, yet at the same time still so track-competent.

I'm not a professional quite yet, I've never been paid to drive a racing car, and probably won't be for a few years yet. I prefer "journeyman".

But anyway, on the track it looked brilliant. Looked very smooth and not at all crazed, even given the weather. Very neutral. Unlike that old Alfa GP car. That thing made huge twitches coming out of almost every corner. I was completely surprised any of those guys went out there. There were easily 30 million's worth of historic cars there. The only cars not on the track were having problems. Gotta hand it to those guys. Not your average car collectors. I love that.

According to Swedish TV Kenny Br?ck will make a quick comeback and have a go at Rallycross!

^ERC 4-5 July in H?ljes..

I've been thinking this for a while so decided to do something about it:

128869121345379258.jpg

(Josh Pyke is an Australian singer-songwriter).

Double post.

I was talking with one of my friends in the Laguna Seca Timing building, and he showed me their system.

It's Windows 95.