Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I saw a white Lexus IS-F (yeah, I know they?re not that special but there are only 2 in the entire state). I liked it in real life! Looks pretty good. Next to it, there was a black Solstice, also very rare around here. :woot:

And, like most ricers, they "personalize" the car "to make it different" only to end up with it looking exactly the same as most of the other "personalized" Scions. :p

I've done a photoshop of what I would do to a current xB and it looked nothing like rice. I"ll have to dig it up.

And, like most ricers, they "personalize" the car "to make it different" only to end up with it looking exactly the same as most of the other "personalized" Scions. :p
This. They either make theirs look exactly like everyone else's car (tC's mostly), or make it just look totally awful (gen-1 xB's mostly).

I love everything in the Scion lineup aside from the gen-2 xB, though. It set the standard for cheap, safe, utilitarian transport that paved the way in America for stuff like the Versa.

Has anyone pined for the Americans to bring back simple, light trucks? Conceptually like the old Chevrolet C/K or Ford 100s but with modern engines/trans and a size similar to that of a Navara or Hilux. Add other modernity in the stereo, gauges, interior and power, but keep it light and basic. Because of the low weight you wouldn't need a tonne of power, so even a moderately-sized diesel could suffice. It would be basic and cheap, easy to fix and surprisingly- thought envrionmentalists wouldn't let on- not bad on petrol, particularly with a diesel.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Has anyone pined for the Americans to bring back simple, light trucks? Conceptually like the old Chevrolet C/K or Ford 100s but with modern engines/trans and a size similar to that of a Navara or Hilux. Add other modernity in the stereo, gauges, interior and power, but keep it light and basic. Because of the low weight you wouldn't need a tonne of power, so even a moderately-sized diesel could suffice. It would be basic and cheap, easy to fix and surprisingly- thought envrionmentalists wouldn't let on- not bad on petrol, particularly with a diesel.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

We already have those, they're called the "work truck" variants of the current lineups. Both Ford and Chevy have W/T versions of their small and fullsizers. Dodge doesn't have a Durango W/T configuration, but they definitely have them for the Ram.

We don't miss them because they never left. The W/T version of a Dodge Ram, even before the current economic unpleasantness and bailout-o-ramas could often be had for $9999 or less, for example.

Last edited:
What happened to the Gumball Rally. LA to Miami in seven days? That's like 400 miles a day. It's just turned into one big yuppie fest.

Thats stupid. Thats like 4-4.5 hours of driving a day, and something like 12-14 hours of nothing. (6-8 hours of sleep)

What happened to the Gumball Rally. LA to Miami in seven days? That's like 400 miles a day. It's just turned into one big yuppie fest.

http://www.gumball3000.com/

http://www.bullrun.com/

The current record is 32 hours from LA to NY IIRC, but not done during an event.

It's full of yuppies, wannabes, freeloaders and attention whores. Not to mention bad drivers with cars way beyond their skill.

Last edited:
Cadillac_Eldorado_Fleetwood_Black_1967.jpg

I know these are probably not very good cars, but they do look really awesome and sharp in a 1960's sort of way. I would definitely want to drive one of these cars, mainly because they're probably one of the most insane FWD cars that you could ever imagine (a FWD chassis with a 500 in? V8!). Has anyone ever driven one of these cars?

^Frigging hell, that's front-wheel drive?! Had they even heard of "understeer"?

^Frigging hell, that's front-wheel drive?! Had they even heard of "understeer"?

Search this forum for the term "psychosteer."

Here's the really sick part - they could be had with a 500cid, 500hp engine. It really did make 500hp - one of the few engines of that era that claimed 500hp and actually delivered it.

Yes, I've driven one. It's a frigging barge. But it doesn't torque steer (due to the weird transaxle setup) and it accelerates hard in a straight line.

Last edited:
So I talked to a bloke on volvospeed.com forum today, who has a naturally aspirated Volvo like mine. He went to dyno and his car made...

wait for it

132whp/136 torque.

Mine will be making a similar number, if not even worse. I was hoping for at least 150 whp... :(

I doubt you'd make 150 whp brand new with drivetrain losses. 132 whp is very respectable for a car of that age.

Our GM here will be "unveiling" their 2010 Camaro Wednesday at 6:00. I suppose I'll go see it, I'm still not sold on the looks- the front end doesn't sit right with me, but we'll see it in person before I make that final call.

Our GM here will be "unveiling" their 2010 Camaro Wednesday at 6:00. I suppose I'll go see it, I'm still not sold on the looks- the front end doesn't sit right with me, but we'll see it in person before I make that final call.

Check the brake calipers for stuck-on weights, the nose for cracks, and the starter cables for bad routing. :D