The 2010 budget cap discussion thread

I think FOTA should suggest certain changes:

1. Raise the cap to $75 million.
2. Engines should not be included in the budget not only in 2010 but all the way (or at least till 2012 so they get 3 years to optimize them to higher RPM)
3. Salary cap for any member of the team including the driver at $15 million, unless the team already owns a contract worth more than that.
4. Leave refueling alone.
5. Ban 10' adjustable front and rear wing elements alltogether.
6. Every driver can use 120Kw KERS for 10 seconds at any speed.
7. Abolish all the stupid tyre rules, Bridglestone should supply all 3 types + Rain to everyone, teams do not have to use two different types, but still get 5 of each for all 3 days.

Last edited:
^Right, that looks better than the FIA rules already :D

Last edited:
I think FOTA should suggest certain changes:

1. Raise the cap to $75 million.
2. Engines should not be included in the budget not only in 2010 but all the way (or at least till 2012 so they get 3 years to optimize them to higher RPM)
3. Salary cap for any member of the team including the driver at $15 million, unless the team already owns a contract worth more than that.
4. Leave refueling alone.
5. Ban 10' adjustable front and rear wing elements alltogether.
6. Every driver can use 120Kw KERS for 10 seconds at any speed.
7. Abolish all the stupid tyre rules, Bridglestone should supply all 3 types + Rain to everyone, teams do not have to use two different types, but still get 5 of each for all 3 days.
Excellent ideas, but I'd be happy to see these crazy new rules but either without any cap at all, or with a cap that's compulsory for all teams, not a half-arsed halfway mish-mash. This should be Formula 1, not Formula 1 and Formula 1.5 mixed together.

HA last time Bernie heard something sensible he replied with black jewish female driver. I wonder what he'll reply to this suggestion )

Salary caps for drivers isn't going to work.

Why not? Drivers, on the whole, don't really care how much they're paid, at least, not compared to how much they care about driving. Sure they'll whine about it, just like how they're whining about tire warmers. They CAN do without, and they will if that's what's passed, but in the end, they'll still drive the car, even if the salaries got capped at a million Euros, every single driver would still drive. Well, except maybe Nelson Piquet.

^ If I was a driver used to getting $20 million a year to suddenly go to $1 million a year, I'd seriously reconsider my involvement with that team/sport, particularly if my name was K Raikkonen.

^ If I was a driver used to getting $20 million a year to suddenly go to $1 million a year, I'd seriously reconsider my involvement with that team/sport, particularly if my name was K Raikkonen.

I seriously doubt any driver (including Kimi) would walk away from Formula 1 because they weren't getting paid enough. Also, I don't think that any driver would be paid as low as 1 million any time soon (maybe Piquet).

But I agree, salary caps for drivers is not going to work, it'll just cause problems.

Last edited:
nah, drivers are not after the money. Button already offered Honda the option to half his salary at the end of 2008 season, when the team couldn't find a buyer.

Instead of cutting the salary, I'd rather have the FIA lower the super licence fee, see how they will like that.

Rumor has it (by Bernie) that budget cap can be raised to $90 million or even higher if all teams agree to proposed changes.

Is the cap in British pounds, dollars or euros? what if pound goes down and USGP team suddenly have $80M instead of $60M to spend? )

Is the cap in British pounds, dollars or euros? what if pound goes down and USGP team suddenly have $80M instead of $60M to spend? )

It's in pounds (40 by Mosley, now 60 by Bernie) but it's easier to transfer into USD.

It's in pounds (40 by Mosley, now 60 by Bernie) but it's easier to transfer into USD.

Despite most of the teams being based in Britain? Keep it in GBP then we all know where we stand rather than using random currencies.

Or, we can set the budget cap at:

13,215,621,979.55 Zimbabwe Dollars

Just add three zeros every month :p

While we're making stupid rule changes:

Cap engine RPM at 4000 and remove any displacement limit so long as the engine is a supercharged V12.
I want my formula 1 cars to sound like Merlin engined fighters!

That wouldn't go over too well with max though, he'd want them to be inverted turbo V12s....