Autoblog: In this corner- 3342 lb the Ford Fusion--in this corner at 2500 lb, a bison. Bets?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/02/fusion-vs-bison-bison-loses-and-driver-walks-away/

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/05/04/10fusionbison-580.jpg

Here in Michigan, high-velocity physical interaction between motor vehicles and hoofed mammals is an all-too-common occurrence. Around these parts, such collisions usually involve white-tailed deer, which seem to be about as common as pigeons, crows and squirrels. These incidents generally result in hefty repair bills and fresh piles of venison on the roadside.

Montana resident Maureen Edgerton recently had a close encounter of her own and was lucky to walk away. Instead of a 200-pound deer, she ran into a heard of bison that was migrating across the road. Adult bison weigh 1,000 to 2,000 pounds, but somehow Edgerton walked away relatively unscathed. Not so lucky was her 2007 Ford Fusion or several of the Bison, all of which were write-offs. In spite of the damage to the front of the car, the roof remained intact and the engine was still running afterward. Needless to say, Edgerton is replacing the car with another Fusion.

[Source: Ford]

DRIVER SURVIVES HIGH-SPEED YELLOWSTONE BISON CRASH TO BUY FUSION AGAIN

SUMMARY:

* Montana driver buys a 2010 Ford Fusion to replace her totaled 2007 Fusion after walking away from a catastrophic crash with a herd of bison near Yellowstone Park
* The all-new 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid ? the most fuel efficient midsize car in North America ? feature exclusive safety technologies and are "Top Safety Pick" rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
* Among the Fusion's segment-exclusive safety and driver-aid technologies are Blind Spot Information System (BLISTM) with Cross Traffic Alert and 911 Assist

CONTEXT / BACKGROUND:

Maureen Edgerton, 51, of West Yellowstone, Mt., was driving home on the dark night of April 11, when she unexpectedly slammed her 2007 Ford Fusion into a herd of bison. The 55-mile-per-hour impact totaled the car and killed several of the migrating "American buffalo" on the snowbound highway. Edgerton, however, walked away with only minor scrapes and bruises. Impressed by the Fusion's crash protection, safety features and fuel efficiency, Edgerton has picked the new 2010 Ford Fusion to be her next new vehicle.

QUOTES:

"The crash was like a war scene. By the time it was over the hood was smashed in, the mirrors were ripped from the doors and the windshield was shattered, but the interior of the car wasn't affected whatsoever. And the car was still running and not leaking fluid. Not even the tires were deflated. Everyone who came to the scene asked 'what kind of car is this?' because they couldn't believe it was possible to walk away from such a crash."
? Maureen Edgerton, Fusion owner and resident of West Yellowstone, Mt.

"The Fusion's safety systems worked just as they were supposed to in Maureen's accident. They saved her life. I don't think there was any question in her mind when she came to us that her next car would be another Fusion, because the new model has even more safety technology on it than the one she'd been driving."
? Gary Berg, sales consultant at Bozeman Ford Lincoln Mercury in Bozeman, Mt.

"While our customer's bison collision certainly demonstrates how tough the 2007 Fusion is, we've designed the new Fusion to be even tougher. It proves that a high level of safety can come in a midsize package."
? Steve Kozak, chief engineer, Ford Safety Systems

DETAILS:

While Ford Motor Company does not have specific requirements to protect customers in collisions with bison or other animals, all of the company's vehicles are designed and tested to meet rigorous crash safety requirements. These requirements help protect occupants in all sorts of collisions, even with bison, which can grow to more than 6 feet tall, 11 feet long and more than 2,200 pounds.

Having emerged from the accident relatively unscathed, Edgerton said the decision to buy another Fusion came easily. The new model has even more safety features, such as side curtain air bags and is "Top Safety Pick" rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). It also comes equipped with optional all-wheel drive and delivers segment-leading fuel economy for Edgerton's long drives up Rocky Mountain passes to visit her daughter in Seattle, Wash.

Maureen and her husband Doug Edgerton, who manufacture and sell ski grooming equipment, have driven Ford vehicles for many years, including at present a 2005 Ford Escape XLT, a 2002 F-250 XLT diesel, 2008 F-250 XLT V10. Previous to purchasing her 2007 Fusion, Maureen put 250,000 miles on a 1999 Ford Taurus.

Front and side impact protection

Fusion gets some of its core strength from the use of lightweight high-strength steel in the body structure. The structure of the Fusion helps it withstand intrusion in many accidents, including the most common frontal and side impacts.

The tailor-welded B-pillars between the front and rear doorframes are stronger at the top of the vehicle ? from below the beltline upward ? than at the bottom. This helps to channel energy below the level of the occupants. At the torso level and above, the structure helps to prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment.

Fusion's front and side-protection elements include:

* The first use on a Ford vehicle of dual-phase, high-strength steel rails on the front end;
* Two energy absorbing foam blocks between the inner door panels and interior trim, aligned with the occupants' chest and hip ;
* Side-intrusion beams inside the door, anchored at the hinge and latch areas;
* Tailor-welded steel in the B-pillar structure with extra thickness ? nearly a quarter inch of solid steel ? above the beltline; and
* Front-seat side air bags for front occupants and side-curtain air bags for head protection in both rows.

Segment-exclusive features

Among the segment-exclusive safety and driver aid technologies on the new Fusion is Blind Spot Information System (BLISTM) with Cross Traffic Alert and 911 Assist ? a new feature integrated into the award-winning Ford SYNCTM hands-free system.

The 911 Assist feature is designed to aid occupants in placing a call directly to a local 911 emergency operator if an accident that activates an air bag or the emergency fuel cutoff occurs. Unlike competitive systems that are routed through an intermediate call center, 911 Assist places the call directly to the 911 operator to speed response time.*

Safety comes standard

Fusion offers standard AdvanceTrac? electronic stability control, which uses sensors to detect, measure and help reduce side-to-side skidding conditions to help the driver keep the car tracking on its intended path.

Additional standard safety features include six air bags and Ford's Personal Safety System?, BeltMinder? safety belt reminder, the LATCH anchor and tether system for child seats, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

*The cell phone or 911 Assist hardware may become damaged in a crash, the vehicle may lose battery power, or the cell phone may be thrown from the vehicle, which could prevent operation. Additionally, not all crashes deploy an airbag or activate the fuel pump shut-off, which are the criteria to initiate 911 Assist.

Last edited:
What the hell is "ski grooming equiptment"?

That's also pretty impressive, considering the Mythbusters tests on moose collisions turned out rather... grim.

Wow. That car's just slightly rooted.

I'm sure they were able to salvage many parts though. Bison is tasty. :p

I'm impressed with the Fusion. I just wish Ford would offer more incentives on them, rather then on the massive fleets of F150's that nobody wants.

I'm sure they were able to salvage many parts though. Bison is tasty. :p
REally? I didnt like it the one time I had it. Though mind you I had it from some fast food place here.
I'm impressed with the Fusion. I just wish Ford would offer more incentives on them, rather then on the massive fleets of F150's that nobody wants.

That is precisely why they have incentives on them. They need to get rid of the crap thats clogging up the dealerships. I'm pretty impressed with Ford being able to turn themselves around, I used to be a huge fan of them before moving continents, their EU models are very nice.

Offering large incentives on cars that people were actually buying in an effort to increase meaningless market share is part of what got GM and Chrysler into the mess they're in now. :p

Ford, evidently, is not that stupid.

Offering large incentives on cars that people were actually buying in an effort to increase meaningless market share is part of what got GM and Chrysler into the mess they're in now. :p

Ford, evidently, is not that stupid.
Yep, but I can still wish.

I'm impressed. The a-pillars are still completely straight and the windshield is mostly intact. Hell, looks like the frame-rails are still straight! I'm guessing this car is actually salvageable.

I'm surprised there aren't slices of meat in the mach 3 grille. :p

That's also pretty impressive, considering the Mythbusters tests on moose collisions turned out rather... grim.

Moose have a very different center of mass versus a bison. They also used older cars in those tests, with different safety performance. Either way though, this car held up pretty well for "slamming into a herd of bison".

All the other stuff aside...how the hell do you crash into a heard of bison at 55mph ?? I understand if it's one animal suddenly jumping on the road, that comes as a surpise and not much to do there...but a heard of bison sounds, to me at least, like there were at least 10 of them crossing the road.

Assuming she would have had high beams on, she should have noticed the wall of bison ahead therefore been able to slow down before the impact. 55 mph sounds like she just ran straight into the animals, not even touching the brake pedal.

Something in that article doesn't add up from where I'm standing.

All the other stuff aside...how the hell do you crash into a heard of bison at 55mph ?? I understand if it's one animal suddenly jumping on the road, that comes as a surpise and not much to do there...but a heard of bison sounds, to me at least, like there were at least 10 of them crossing the road.

Assuming she would have had high beams on, she should have noticed the wall of bison ahead therefore been able to slow down before the impact. 55 mph sounds like she just ran straight into the animals, not even touching the brake pedal.

Driver probably came around a curve and didn't have time to react. The roads in yellowstone are extremely twisty.

To add to what CrazyJeeper said, Yellowstone roads also change elevation and depending on season plus time of day, you can get some serious surprise fog there. If you're not expecting it, you're in it before you can nail the brakes.

When I say the pic of the broken fusion I was half expecting to scroll down and see pics of the broken bison...:p

When I say the pic of the broken fusion I was half expecting to scroll down and see pics of the broken bison...:p

I can't help you with Fusion + Bison aftermath, but I can show you what happens when 940 Turbo meets turkey buzzard:

oops1.jpg

oops2.jpg

Not shown is the copious amount of "buzzard juice" coating my windshield.

I thought Volvos like that were indestructable? At first I thought the car was struck with a Bison too...

Well that's ... surprising. I've seen the aftermath of a few cars (big cars) hitting stray cattle and I have to say that the Fusion handled it extremely well.

Really? I didnt like it the one time I had it. Though mind you I had it from some fast food place here.
Bah, they probably chopped it with some shitty beef. Buffalo is much leaner than beef, but tastes even better when done right. If it was cheaper it would probably be the only red meat I would eat.