Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just saw my first Kia Soul, and I have to say, I quite like it. Its like a first gen xB that someone took a file to and rounded it a bit. Also saw a Ford Flex in white without the stupid tailgate chrome and it also looked really good.

Just saw my first Kia Soul, and I have to say, I quite like it. Its like a first gen xB that someone took a file to and rounded it a bit. Also saw a Ford Flex in white without the stupid tailgate chrome and it also looked really good.

The styling is quite funky but it does grow on you. I like the ideas they've had with the interior dynamics, and the commercials were top-notch (usually I only like simple commercials like Volksporschewagen makes as of late, but the "hamster" commercial did make me laugh).

Still, there's something to be said for the Nissan President.

Also saw a Ford Flex in white without the stupid tailgate chrome and it also looked really good.

They do look pretty good. I saw two of them on the way home from work the other day. One parked, and the other being driven by some dipshit parent picking up her brood (FYI stay away from schools at closing time, a heard of soccer moms is something to be avoided). I then saw another Flex the next day out in Yuppie Island (Bainbridge). Looks like Ford may have a good seller.

Still, there's something to be said for the Nissan President.

Yes - that half the people will hate it but when you replace it the new model will be worse and the other half will hate it. Then it will go around giving your money to other cars. :p :lol:

I have completely forgotten how to drive a petrol car... I'm driving the wife's car while the insurance guy bickers with the body shop how much the rear fender will cost to respray (some ass rear ended me on Monday)...

I just drive like I normally do, shifting up at low rpms and expecting there to be power there all the time. Accelerating onto the highway, I remembered that a 1.6 16v engine needs REVS and lots of them to go anywhere...

still, having a rev counter would have helped...because now I just rev the nuts off it because it's fun. Sounds like it can go up to 9,000 though :mrgreen:

I have completely forgotten how to drive a petrol car... I'm driving the wife's car while the insurance guy bickers with the body shop how much the rear fender will cost to respray (some ass rear ended me on Monday)...

I just drive like I normally do, shifting up at low rpms and expecting there to be power there all the time. Accelerating onto the highway, I remembered that a 1.6 16v engine needs REVS and lots of them to go anywhere...

still, having a rev counter would have helped...because now I just rev the nuts off it because it's fun. Sounds like it can go up to 9,000 though :mrgreen:

xxxaum233904.jpg

Costs about $100 USD.

:D

^somehow I don't think that'll fit in this interior

Citroen_Xsara_Picasso_1_2000_02.jpg

So what is it you are now saddled with?

I don't have a revcounter in my car, just like I don't have anything else. I love to shift by ear :lol:

Edit: A Picasso? Good grief.

^somehow I don't think that'll fit in this interior

Citroen_Xsara_Picasso_1_2000_02.jpg

This will.

DashHawk_05.jpg

OBD-II display.

* Universal OBDII multi-gauge displays over 100 parameters
* Connects to your vehicle?s diagnostic port
* Display 0 ? 60 mph and ?-mile times with up to five other parameters
* Records maximum values for speed, RPM and water temperature
* Accepts one additional sensor
* Backlit screen can be set to 16 million colors to match any interior
* Set visual and audible alerts for any value
* Built-in shift light capability
* Check and clear trouble codes
* Any parameter can be displayed on any screen, in any order, in any fashion!

Last edited:
I need a functioning tach in the miata. I've gone through a 2nd guage cluster now and still can't get the fucker to work properly.

If aftermarket gauges weren't so damn expensive I'd just build a custom cluster.

that IS a good idea Spectre, but somehow I don't think it really matters in a car like that... besides, my wife drives it most of the time, and no longer than 15 minutes or so (work/home)

I doubt 0-60 mph and 1/4mile times are really relevant in something resembling an egg, that weighs a lot, with "only" 110 hp :p

in my car on the other hand ... :shifty:
(but then again, I don't want to be disappointed when I see in digital numbers how slow it really is :p)

Got overtaken by a silver SLR on the Autobahn yesterday (dutch plates). The road was pretty empty and he was going extremly fast. I was doing about 140 (km/h) in the right lane and the bloody thing just blew past me. Didn?t see it coming in the Mirror some seconds ago and it was gone over the horizon some seconds later. :blink: :thumbup: pretty awsome sight. (sadly didn?t hear it at all though... thx to my stereo)

I need a functioning tach in the miata. I've gone through a 2nd guage cluster now and still can't get the fucker to work properly.

If aftermarket gauges weren't so damn expensive I'd just build a custom cluster.

gauge_cluster_stage1.jpg

that IS a good idea Spectre, but somehow I don't think it really matters in a car like that... besides, my wife drives it most of the time, and no longer than 15 minutes or so (work/home)

I doubt 0-60 mph and 1/4mile times are really relevant in something resembling an egg, that weighs a lot, with "only" 110 hp :p

in my car on the other hand ... :shifty:
(but then again, I don't want to be disappointed when I see in digital numbers how slow it really is :p)

Yeah, but you can unplug it and move it between cars. :D

I'm going to have to pitch the tach in the Series III - the "bounciness" where the thing oversweeps both ways is getting annoying. It happens when these Veglia gauges get old, the magnetic dampers just stop working. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know where to get replacement parts and Jaguar wants more than I paid for the entire car for a new one. Guess I'll be looking for an analog or pseudo analog gauge now... (tachs should not be digital-numeric-only, IMHO.)

Last edited:
^holy Jebus if you can't hear an SLR at fullspeed over your car stereo, that thing must be LOUD!

I've heard one accelerate from near stop and the sound was deafening and awesome...

^holy Jebus if you can't hear an SLR at fullspeed over your car stereo, that thing must be LOUD!
It kind of puzzels me because it wasn?t actually that loud - just so you can hear it over the driving noise at 140 ... and I didn?t hear the SLR at all. I was kind of expecting to hear (or feel) it ... but nothing. My (actually not "mine"- Company Car) A4 must have quite good sound insulation when it comes to supercharged V8s a meter to the left ... but not so good to the cars own tire/wind-noise at autobahnspeed ... <_<

Last edited:

My dad had one as a loaner, when the B-class was getting new wheel sensors. He wasn't very enthusiastic about the Citro?n; "Is it a petrol one or a diesel?" "I don't really care."

^it's not that bad, really, it all depends on what you're expecting. If you want good handling, good power delivery and a swooping sexy body look elsewhere.

if you want something that seats 5 people and their luggage with ease, has adequate handling, the smoothest ride in the world and every electronic aid you can think of, welcome :)

It's just so relaxing and effortless to drive, makes long journeys so fun...I don't even mind sitting in traffic with it.