Windows 7, so who's tried it?

I'll be putting 7 on my current HD when I put all the new parts in tomorrow (320GB should be enough to keep me going :D). I tried it on a VM but that was awful, so it'll be nice to see what it's really like. :)

Last edited:
The one I stated. :p nVidia Geforce Go 7300.

Sorry, I didn't see you were talking about your laptop so I was wondering why you downloaded GeForce Go drivers. :?

The problem with GeForce Go devices is that nVidia does not offer driver support for these cards, but refers you to the laptop's manufacturer for them. Hardware manufacturers are very lax in keeping those drivers up to date, let alone making drivers for a beta OS, so you're pretty much stuck to the hacked .inf files that can be found all over the internet.

Well, seeing the vista ones on the nvidia page worked, I'm ok. :p

Even though I've been using Win7 ever since the first build was released, I'm still not installing Win7 on all of my machines(only the laptop). Unless I can get all the drivers & programmes to work under Win7, I'm sticking with Vista SP1, not by choice, but forced to.

I know I already said this, but have you tried using the Vista drivers?

They all worked for me on two different computers.

I know I already said this, but have you tried using the Vista drivers?

They all worked for me on two different computers.

lol, you think I havn't tried that? :p

That was the first thing I tried, nope it didn't work :mad:

The problem with GeForce Go devices is that nVidia does not offer driver support for these cards, but refers you to the laptop's manufacturer for them. Hardware manufacturers are very lax in keeping those drivers up to date, let alone making drivers for a beta OS, so you're pretty much stuck to the hacked .inf files that can be found all over the internet.

Noticed that one. Have been having problems with my Go 7900 GS for a while, and Dell and nVidia seem to keep passing the buck to each other. One reason to switch to ATI with my next laptop (the other being Dell doesn't seem to offer nVidia in it's XPS range much anymore...)

But yeah, tried 7 on my mate's laptop the other day. I love it, and cn't wait to put it on my current laptop with Vista. I honestly think I am going to get a really good performance improvement. I've never upgraded an OS before though (always just gotten a new PC), so it's going to be a fun experience....

I do NOT like the new taskbar.. thankfully they allow you to display items inline.

I do NOT like the new taskbar.. thankfully they allow you to display items inline.

That was the one thing I disliked at first too, but now it's one of the features I love about it.

Like for example if you pin MS Word you can pin documents inside the quick menu for it.

And you can launch pinned items as Admin with a shortcut lol

And how it groups things under a single logo so the taskbar remains clean looking...lol

Yeah, the new taskbar is pretty good once you get used to it.

But it does take some getting used to, I mean it's been the same more or less since 1995.

Took me 7 hours, but I downloaded it overnight. Will be installing it this weekend to another drive to try it out first. If it all goes well, I'll be formatting C:.

Windows 7 is spiffy, but it's just an evolutionary step rather than a revolutionary step (like Vista was).

Still though, I'm backing shit up now so I can replace Vista with it. :)

One warning: installing Windows 7 to another partition will give Vista the ability to better detect an illegal copy, although this may be because I started the install within Vista. Vista is now bugging me that my copy isn't legit. :(

Windows 7 is spiffy, but it's just an evolutionary step rather than a revolutionary step (like Vista was).

Still though, I'm backing shit up now so I can replace Vista with it. :)

One warning: installing Windows 7 to another partition will give Vista the ability to better detect an illegal copy, although this may be because I started the install within Vista. Vista is now bugging me that my copy isn't legit. :(
Did you download it from the microsoft site and got the key there?

Downloading now, taking no time at all at 1.6MB/s. :D

The upgrade went really smoothly so 7 should be on my old HD by tonight. :)

Did you download it from the microsoft site and got the key there?
Official copy with legit key of Win7, not so official copy of Vista. ;)

Installing in a VM to test with the stupid harware-key VPN I use for work. If it works, I'll probably replace my XP install with it.

The 7068 build on this laptop keeps giving me activation thing, and now auto updates aren't working and I think it's gonna start shutting off the computer soon. Very annoying.