Can you drive both LHD and RHD cars?

Can you drive both LHD and RHD cars?

• Total voters

speedycatz

Car(s)
Porsche Cayman S
I can drive both. It's pretty common to drive LHD euro sportscar here.

Both. Nothing difficult, only you got to be more careful when overtaking if you're driving a RHD-Car in a LHD-Country and the opposite.

Never tried driving rhd, and since changing gear from the passenger seat is very awkwards, im going to say just LHD.

Since I've never Driven RHD, I will say just LHD, but I could probably do it. I've had to change gear from the passenger seat before.

http://img131.imageshack.**/img131/9570/58029318.jpg

Pic for proof: Yes, I can. :p

Never driven RHD other than the Initial D arcade game and it was pretty difficult so I would have to say LHD only for me.

Never tried, so I don't know. I doubt I'd be able to do it right away, I'd need practice.

When I get my Fanatec Porsche wheel I'll try to shift with the left hand and see how it goes (probably badly).

RHD stick to LHD Auto was no problem when the roads are sooo big in the US. Would not like to have tried it the other way around first off - I can see why Americans are a little intimidated over here 'till they get their feet - roundabouts FTW.

Ask me again in about two months. :p It's going to be weird getting in a RHD car for the first time.

Never drived a RHD car before, thought if driving it in a RHD proper road, what's difficult about it? Everything's the same, except you're doing it the other way around it.

I drive both; learning lefty is best started with an auto for those from RHD countries (at least, it worked for me). But there really isn't a huge problem; just getting your (left/right) hand used to doing something different.

I probably would need practice with my left although it's probably not that hard.

I never tried RHD, but I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to drive the car (I have shifted from the passenger seat, meaning with my left hand). It's probably harder to navigate on the "wrong" side of the road. Strangely, RHD and left-side traffic IMHO is the right way to design a traffic system. That means I have watched too much British TV, I guess.

Both. The first time I drove RHD, it was between Heathrow and Birmingham in 2004. I had a Hertz brand new Ford Fiesta, 1.4 manual. I took the first roundabout in the wrong way and at the first traffic light, I put the car in 5th and stalled a couple of times before I catched my mistake. After that, no problem. It is just a little bit more difficult to park.. particulary between a Lotus and a Porsche...

both.

RHD in South Africa and LHD in America.

That said, anyone can hop in a LHD/RHD car and make a smooth transition. You shouldn't be allowed to drive if you can't drive a car with the steering wheel on the other side of the usual position.

I still shift better with my left hand though. I notice that I'm a bit more violent with gearchanges when using my wanking hand.

Last edited:
Both - the strangest thing with moving into the opposite of what you normally drive is changing all those small things that you do automatically - like mirror checks.