Wank to Argatoga's MG

FC oil cooler is your best bet.

Racing beat makes a good flywheel, but its around $500.

Ouch, yeah fuck that ( for now at least ). I'll be dropping it off sometime this week (latest this weekend). After I drop it off I'll have a better idea of what I can do for the cooling. I'll try and keep the three of you who pay attention to this thread abreast of things :p.

When you put the thing back it you might as well replace the mounts too. They are usually pretty cheap and definetly easy to replace with the engine out.

I talked to the guy who will be doing the pull. He will be fabricating new mounts as the current ones suck and aren't designed to be removed easily.

Oh and guess what came in today.

Last edited:
I talked to the guy who will be doing the pull. He will be fabricating new mounts as the current ones suck and aren't designed to be removed easily.

Oh and guess what came in today.

Use hockey pucks. I'm being serious, they work very well.

Not for conversions, there's going to be some metal bracketry required to relocate the mount points. :p

Well yes, but as dampers, they are excellent.

Yes... unless you have a heavy engine, in which case they're great for the short time until the engine beats them to death. :D

12a=not heavy. :lol:

Interesting fact: apparently I had an oil cooler all along. It was just placed in-front of the radiator and I didn't notice the piping. It may still have to go for another one.

There is a chance I might need a new flywheel. How streetable is that Racing Beat one? This isn't a track car.

Time for another stupid question! With these repairs it looks like I will only be upgrading either the front suspension or the brakes this Summer. I'm leaning towards the former as it should be cheaper (if the wishbones are rotted it will cost about the same).

If I redo the suspension I might as well go ahead and lower the car back to the pre-fugly bumper hight. Will I need to replace the rear springs or can I just use a block kit like this?

What upgrades would you do with the front suspension, then?

Last edited:
If it is a choice between one and the other, do the brakes first. That's more important, especially as you have a far more powerful engine than the Midget was designed to have. Your brakes are probably understrength now.

If it is a choice between one and the other, do the brakes first. That's more important, especially as you have a far more powerful engine than the Midget was designed to have. Your brakes are probably understrength now.

True. But I also am pretty light on it due to the weak diff/halfshafts. The front suspension is a bit too bouncy at the moment as well.

I'll think it over a bit. I suspect the brakes will be easier to install which is a plus.

Well, MG was never known to have great brakes. Brakes are the most important system on the car, more so than anything else. You can always compensate for a bad suspension (more or less) but you can't compensate for bad brakes.

I'm going to have to upgrade my Series III's brakes soon, the modern wheel/tire package (and resulting traction) mean that I can actually use more braking power now.

If the braking upgrade you'd shown me was something that was marginal or mostly cosmetic, I'd say it was a toss up - but it appears to be a worthwhile kit, so I'd go for that.

The keg of power is out and it looks like the flywheel can be saved. The engine looks like it is in good shape ( no leaks ). Hopefully it will be ready in a couple weeks ( waiting for parts ). In the end I should have a new clutch, oil cooler ( the MG one currently in use blocks too much of the radiator ), radiator, fan, oil seals, and some more braces for the engine. Since I'm not doing the work things should progress quickly :p.

I'll be over at the shop again next week. I'll take some pictures. I especially want to get some shots of the ports to see if it has actually been ported or not.